Department Store Carry

Department Store Carry

This is a discussion on Department Store Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed that most stores, have what appear to be metal detectors or some type of scanner that you must pass through when entering. Are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Department Store Carry

Department Store Carry

I've noticed that most stores, have what appear to be metal detectors or some type of scanner that you must pass through when entering. Are these metal detectors that will detect a gun? If not, what are they?
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

Those are for those little anti theft electronics you see in packaging, the kind that set off that annoying alarm every time I shop hah

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    No we had these when i worked at lowes. They are the same as the ones on the exits. They keep people from leaving with product through the entrance.

VIP Member
    Apparently not metal detectors. Otherwise people with implanted medical devices would set them off all the time. At airports, such people need to show TSA screeners a medical card and submit to search by hand.

Lead Moderator
    Radio frequency towers. they detect a certain freq. and set off the alarm. No metal detectors . If they were metal detectors think how many would set them off with wheel chairs, shopping carts , ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

jfl
    AFAIK these are detectors to control shoplifting; items in the store have little chips that will be detected by the device you see at the door, unless the chips are deactivated (when you purchase the item).
    Up to now, my Glock 26, leatherman tools, etc. have never triggered these things.
    If you don't want to risk it with your gun, put a sizable metal object in your pocket (pair of pliers ...) and walk through the door; I'm pretty sure nothing will happen.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Have told this story before.High School. School deceides to install detectors that prevent books from being stolen. Big stolen book ring at school I guess? So installer who installed the detectors. Is finishing up and keeps turning around to read the installation book and back to machine. back and forth. As he turns around I snatch the installation book from 1 foot behind him and walk out past him. The look on his face was priceless as he turned around and installation book was gone. He could not beleive that somebody stole the installation book to prevent books from being stolen. Stood to the side and just laughed.

As already said they are anti theft devices, could you imagine how often they would be going off if they were metal detectors??

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I thought they were used to detect customers leaving without spending all their money!!

I go into stores with these theft detection systems all the time. My gun never sets them off.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I thought they were used to detect customers leaving without spending all their money!!

When I first started carrying, I went to a public library where they had those anti-theft devices. I walked right through (carrying) and then I saw the detectors and about freaked. I thought "Uh oh, govt. (local govt.) building, metal detector I'm in for it." Then I realized they were for theft prevention.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    I go into stores with these theft detection systems all the time. My gun never sets them off.
    yes but have you had unspent pennies next to it?
    It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
    -Sir Winston Churchill

Nothing more to add on this thread.... Question answered as far as I can see.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i'd bet that those are anti retail fraud devices
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Big yellow plastic tags on clothing, that have to be removed by the associate at the desk before they put it in a bag for you.
    Little white pieces of plastic, stuck with adhesive on static objects for sale (aka boxes), with a thin magnetic strip inside.
    Ring any bells?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links