Requirements for Buying and Carrying a Gun

This is a discussion on Requirements for Buying and Carrying a Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I have read these boards for a short while I am coming to the conclusion that the antis are not the only segment of ...

View Poll Results: I think everyone who buys or carries a gun should be required to

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • be certified that they are qualified to use it with a complete background check and psychological clearance

34 10.30%
  • be certified that they are qualified to use it with a complete background check

54 16.36%
  • be certified that they are qualified to use it and psychological clearance

0 0%
  • be certified that they are qualified to use it

6 1.82%
  • have complete background check and psychological clearance

16 4.85%
  • have a complete background check

57 17.27%
  • have psychological clearance

0 0%
  • show ID they are of legal age to purchase a fire arm

76 23.03%
  • prove citizenship

38 11.52%
  • do and prove anything

2 0.61%
  • Do and prove nothing

47 14.24%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Requirements for Buying and Carrying a Gun

Requirements for Buying and Carrying a Gun

As I have read these boards for a short while I am coming to the conclusion that the antis are not the only segment of the population that is for infringing upon our Right To Bear Arms. That many gun owners and so called 2A advocates support registration of guns and some kind of permits licenses or other form of governmental approval and clearance in order for citizens to carry guns. My guess is the results of this poll will show that those that want and support Vermont & Alaska style of no state restrictions on gun ownership and carry are in the minority. That even here on a pro 2A message board the majority support some kind of gun registration and licensing to carry.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

What poll?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

JD
    Administrator
    It takes a little while for the poll to show up, the post is shown up before the polling options are set up by the person making the poll.

**These messages will self destruct.....

That's not exactly true, but for those in states where Concealed Carry is relatively new, they know that every bad occurance of somebody legally carrying a gun comes back to bite them in the rear.

Texas has, IMO, good concealed carry laws and personal defense laws, but we all know that all it would take is a string of bad shoots for years of hard work to be erased by the legislatures.

A lot of us are trying to defend everything we've won so much that we are, indeed, hesitant to move forward and risk all.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Dang you all are quick. Poll is posted
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    In my youth I would have taken a "no restriction" position, or very close.
    But there is a difference now. We had an entirely different mindset regarding human life and violence.

Many of us had rifles and/shotguns by the time we were in our teens. When I was 10 I got my first .22 rimfire, a Rem 510 single shot that I still have. My grandmother borrowed the $7.50 that it cost. I walked with a buddy, who was a couple of years older, three miles to the hardware store where they had the gun. I bought it myself, walked back the three miles, stopped in a store where my grandparents had a charge account, bought a box of .22 shorts and went hunting. Obviously I lived in a very small country community.

As to skill, it did not take me long to learn how to shoot accurately, and I was just as capable of shooting someone as I am now. The difference is that I, or other kids, never thought of shooting another person unless they broke into our home. That was not common as we did not even lock our doors. I am not sure we even knew where the key was.

But the most important thing was our mindset that did not even consider shooting teachers or other students because we got whipped.

Today with all the violence on TV, movies, video games and the news so many people of all ages think that to "blow them away" is the way to solve problems.

I do not need any studies to tell me what has happened to our morals, I have seen it with my own eyes. It is a moral issue, and we have become so callous to moral absolutes and principles that many have consciences that do not work because it does not know right and wrong.

So I do think there should be some restrictions including a minimum age, and background check. If that makes me an anti then "color me one."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The second amendment specifies no requirements.

kpw
    How about a multiple choice option? I'm all for proving citizenship or legal resident alien and legal age. I'm not totally against criminal background checks, although I think they are too restrictive and I'm not convinced that they work very well, if at all.

I went with...must be of legal age to purchase.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I support background checks and even certification of qualification to carry a firearm. I dont think that impedes on my 2A one bit as long as it is a "Must Issue" deal if I meet the qualifications.

I think its good insurance for us that might one day use our carry weapons in our defense.

Oh, you need to change that poll to say Psychological not Physiological checks.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The second amendment specifies no requirements.
    I would assume that 2A only applies to US citizens though, which is why I answered be able to prove citizenship.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Physiological clearance? Like measure my biceps before selling a gun to me?

I voted but my answer does not fit any of the options as you said buys or carries a gun. There is a big difference to me. I think anyone other than certain felons or mentally unstable should be able to have a gun in their home on on the property. I have no problems with a background check to make sure and an age limit. I don't think a 6 year old should be able to go out and buy a gun. I know that many parents realistically should not be allowed to touch a gun but onw their own property and in their home I am not going to argue.

Once you step off your property onto a public street or on someone else's property the rules change completely as far as I am concerned. I want you to know the laws, know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of and able to prove that you know it. Once you step off of your property then you are infringing on everyone else's rights.

I don't care about gun registration. There has never been anything that shows it does anything but cause aggravation. It does no good in an emergency situation other than give a false sense of security to some do-gooder that has no idea of what a gun is.

Summary
    Background check to buy a gun to make sure you aren't crazy or Charles Manson. Keep it at you house and play with it loaded all you want and shoot the BG's when they come in the door.

Once you step off your property a license required and proof that you know something about guns and laws.

Screw registration.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Once you step off of your property then you are infringing on everyone else's rights.
    Could you elaborate on that a little further.

I'm under the theory that my rights aren't infringed upon until there's an actual threat. Someone carrying a weapon isn't neceassrily a threat to me. It's kind of along the lines of respecting my personal sovereignty/freedom. Think of all those crazy countries with nukes...should we go disarm them? and if so to what degree?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Oh, you need to change that poll to say Psychological not Physiological checks.

Beat me to it.

OP: Back to the drawing board.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links