My Wife carrying - a husbands view

This is a discussion on My Wife carrying - a husbands view within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After much back and forth with my bride, she took the CCW course with me and will soon get her concealed carry license. Being a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wife carrying - a husbands view

My Wife carrying - a husbands view

After much back and forth with my bride, she took the CCW course with me and will soon get her concealed carry license. Being a woman, she is much more emotional then a man and sees the carrying of a gun differently then i do. She understands the potential power to take a life, but after education (liberal de-indoctrination), she sees a gun as not only defense, but her RIGHT! While she may not conceal carry immediately, having the ability to do so will ease her in nicely IMHO. She is a great shooter and i am confident in her ability to defend herself (she grew up in the south Bronx). As her husband, i want her to always be safe...even if she is not with me.

I will give my life for her, but i am not always with her. She works night shifts and early morning shifts and has to drive through semi-shady areas of town. As her husband, my concern is if she ever has to use her weapon. She would if she had too, but the after effects would mess her up real bad, but probably not 1/2 as bad as the effects of not being armed during an attack. Would she be effected in the event i have to use my gun to defend us/her? I am sure of it, but i'd rather that effect then violation, injury or death. I would probably get over using my gun for self-defense purposes much faster then her.

On her carrying...

The biggest hurdle is printing. She is a petite woman and her XD9 SC is not the smallest sub compact. she wanted a carry purse, but after debating it, we decided against is because the purse can be stolen and the thief will not only find her wallet, but also another surprise.

IWB carry is ideal, but the argument begins "well, i'm not going to wear looser clothing...i'm not a bum. you wan't me to look like a hobo, don't you!?!?!?!?". not at all!

the next idea is to get her a Kahr Slimline handgun. I am thinking the slimline would work great for her, but at the cost of accuracy IMO.

For me, it's easy...for my wife, it's a more complicated issue.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

As a petite woman who refuses to wear baggy clothes....

I have found my Walther PPS with an IWB holster amazingly easy to conceal.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

how tall are you? she is 5-1.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

5'2"

FWIW- I wear a lot of low waisted jeans and fitted T shirts.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Maybe I misread it, but why would going to a single stack, slimmer Kahr reduce her accuracy? From what I've heard, Kahr's are quite accurate. The majority of women I have seen or heard of either carry front appendix carry, or small of the back. Then there is the option of Smart Carry....many different things to consider. Congrats to you and the wife on the mindset and the action (CCW).
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Maybe I misread it, but why would going to a single stack, slimmer Kahr reduce her accuracy? From what I've heard, Kahr's are quite accurate. The majority of women I have seen or heard of either carry front appendix carry, or small of the back. Then there is the option of Smart Carry....many different things to consider. Congrats to you and the wife on the mindset and the action (CCW).
    it may be the way to go for her. I've been carrying for a few months now...i haven't been pressuring her on CCing real hard. i may take her to the store so she can handle them. i want her to be comfortable.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I have these same struggles with my wife, although she really wanted to carry a firearm. She will not wear a holster, but carries in a dedicated pocket in her purse. Not the best option I know. However, if she couldn't purse carry, she wouldn't carry at all. She is very vigilant about having her purse attached to her at all times when she is out and about.
    Paracord Survival Bracelets & Lanyards. Help us raise awareness and $'s for our Wounded Warriors! Visit www.SurvivalStraps.com

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    it may be the way to go for her. I've been carrying for a few months now...i haven't been pressuring her on CCing real hard. i may take her to the store so she can handle them. i want her to be comfortable.
    i'm curious how you got her to go after her license. In my exp, they either see no need, or view like weights in a gym... a man's thing. How'd you get the sense across ?

Quote Originally Posted by mattxander12 View Post
    i'm curious how you got her to go after her license. In my exp, they either see no need, or view like weights in a gym... a man's thing. How'd you get the sense across ?
    de-indoctrination. she used to be very anti-gun. i would talk with her a lot of about defense stories, etc. recent news stories have really caught her attention too.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Moderator
    I'm 5'3" currently 118 lbs but that's because I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant. Before then I was 105.

I have primarily carried a single stack 1911 with great success and when I tried carrying a S&W M&P 9c (about as wide as your wife's Springfield) I found it much more of a printing concern so I went back to my 1911 or to a small frame revolver.

Single stack works best for concealing on my small frame and I know that now and I wear your average clothing. Nothing loose fitting or baggy. In fact, I find that well fitting clothes makes concealment easier whereas clothes that are too baggy can actually make concealing uncomfortable because of excess fabric and such. I've been shoulder holster carrying more often lately because I can't carry IWB (there's no room) and OWB prints too badly with my baby belly pushing EVERYTHING out and I really REALLY hate purse carry. I've pocket carried my j-frame with great success in some of my looser fitting overalls but nothing is loose fitting anymore.

I'm so glad I only have three more months of this and I can go back to my 1911 IWB behind the hip where it belongs!

I've tried so many different modes of carry and on my frame I've had the most success there.

here is my take on concealing (from another this woman)
    i prefer to wear SLIGHTLY looser clothing (just not skin tight, more normal fit)
    I carry a 3" 1911 no problem with an IWB. Having a smaller gun such as a kahr is a great way to go. find a good iwb holster that works for her. everyone is differant. u just have to try out diff stuff. it takes time, dont get too discuraged.
    also, check out smartcarrys. I have one, and don't use it for daily carry as it is somewhat slower of a draw and my iwb works fine. but for those days that i am forced to wear the tight shirt, my smartcarry works GREAT, especially with a smaller gun. And I also tend to believe that your draw time is by far not the most important thing.
    So check out smaller (thinner) guns, check out lots of holster, and check out the smartcarry. you will eventually find something that works.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Why not try an LCP with the belt clip. this would be a very easy gun to conceal in this manner and it is still a big enough calibler. 7 rounds of .380 is better than no rounds at all. If she is worried about the gun printing this might be somthing to look at when she is wearing form fitting clothing.

I carry my xd9sc in an iwb, and it prints something fierce!! It's fine in the cooler months, when I can throw on a sweater or jacket, but not for summer. I love, love, love the gun though. I handle it well too. I will likely have to invest in something smaller/thinner for next summer...and hope I like it as much as my xd! I use a high noon holster (split decision....made into a hidden Ally, don't ask) and I like it very much. A thinner holster makes quite a difference as well. I highly recommend high noon holsters too.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

I got my wife a Ruger LCP with a smartcarry. It is literally invisible. She can wear the tightest fitting shirts out there, without worrying. She is not restricted in any way. I would definitely suggest the LCP and a SmartCarry.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

My girlfriend is a CCW carrier with a NAA Guardian .380, and a Thunder Wear(Smart carry) holster. She is totally comfortable, and very happy with this setup.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links