We, as a society, have our priorities backwards.

This is a discussion on We, as a society, have our priorities backwards. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We, as a society, have our priorities backwards. In general most everyone in the US has the following protections in place: Protections from theft/loss of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We, as a society, have our priorities backwards.

In general most everyone in the US has the following protections in place:

Protections from theft/loss of our property:
    Door locks (house and Car)
    Lighting (to discourage burglery)
    Insurance (home, auto, theft, fire, flood, etc.)
    Fire Extinguishers

Protections for our safety:
    Automobile: Locks, airbags, seatbelts, safety ratings/crash tests
    Home: Locks, lighting, alarm system, smoke alarms

Insurance for our well being:
    Health
    Disability
    Life (for our loved ones when we're gone)

Emergency items:
    Spare tire in the car
    First aid kit
    Fire ladder (at least I have one, thanks grandpa)
    Fire extinguisher
    Some stock food/water/fuel in case of shortages.

I'm sure I am missing many more (inputs welcome), just popped these off the top of my head.

Yet when most people leave the house they have nothing in place for the protection and safety of themselves and their family. They can do nothing against a bad guy that wants to assault, rape, rob, murder, burglarize, or kidnap them(or their children). Why is it that we have so many protections in place, and spend so much money on them, for our material things, yet people can't see what it is really important for us all to focus our efforts on?

I would rather lose material items than have my wife raped, or my child kidnapped, or see my grandma assaulted and robbed in a parking lot. And I'm sure everyone would take that same stance. Any one of those things would be devastating to the family, as well as the direct victim of the crime. That is much much worse than losing any material possession I own.

So why is it that we as a society have our heads in the sand? The "it will never happen to me" mentality is foolish and stupid. Why can't people see that they need to spend more of their effort protecting what is really important?
    Last edited by youngda9; August 12th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    So why is it that we as a society have our heads in the sand? The "it will never happen to me" mentality is foolish and stupid. Why can't people see that they need to spend more of their effort protecting what is really important?
    I think it's because we have our ideas about responsibility backward as well.

We put more effort into protecting our things because we know we are responsible for our things and what happens with them (look at all the lawsuits about things breaking and malfunctioning) but when it comes to ourselves we take no responsibility.

Again, look at lawsuits. It's easier to sue someone because their car rolled over your foot than it is to take responsibility for the fact that your foot shouldn't have been there in the first place.

We expect society to provide and protect us instead of understanding that we alone hold that responsibility.

Our sense of responsibility is backward and therefore our priorities have followed.

People who understand that they are responsible for themselves and for their own actions and that it is no one else's job but their own are the ones who take personal safety with them outside the home.

I hear ya Lima.

But to follow your train of thought. I am completely responsable for my child...for her safety, health, education, wellbeing, and financial support. If something happens to me then all of that is left in limbo or at the least is altered(no father figure, loss of income, etc.). If something happens to her, than I have neglected my role in some way to make sure she is safe and provided for.

Children are the ultimate responsability that we, as adults, sign up for. I know for some(a very small % of people) this makes things all click and we realize what is really important in life, and worth protecting.

For others(most people) the connection is never made. Heck, it took me until I was 30 to make it...but I eventually did at least.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Moderator
    Agreed, youngda!

Some people do wake up once they have kids. Sometimes they don't.

Some people expect society not only to protect them but to protect and raise their children. They leave the most important aspects of their families' lives up to government, public schools and the police. They COMPLETELY miss the fact that it's their responsibility.

As aware as JD and I were before we found out we were having a child our awareness of our responsibility has increased 100 times.

For me it's been very sobering and while a blessing and welcome thing, also scary.

I'm responsible for this life. Wow. It's awesome but a huge responsibility and I, for one, couldn't imagine trusting anyone else but me and JD to do it right.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think because we put so much emphasis on the bad guys and very little on the good guys...the media, the police force, jails, dollars etc etc...a huge infrastructure centered around the bad guys. And we have put that responsibility and accountability on the state and not where it truly belongs.

Rick

Lead Moderator
    People think "it " can't happen to me. Also many never realize how much bad there really is out in the world. Too many believe calling 9-1-1 gets instant results.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    There is maybe another reason why we don't put emphasis on personal protection from violence; notwithstanding the amount of it that goes on, most people do in fact get through life without becoming a victim of violence--at least not serious violence.

People walk my neighborhood streets at all hours of the day and night. My son lives in a city with a high murder rate, but swears his neighborhood is safe. And I suspect it mostly is.

So we get lulled. And we don't learn from the experiences of others. For example, I can not in any way convince my wife to so much as go the range and learn to fire a hammerless revolver. Yet, she knows full well that a BG got into her sister's house, beat her badly, raped her, threatened to kill her with a knife to her throat, and stole her car when he was done. Somehow the fact that this happened to her sister has not translated into the thought it might happen here, and I (meaning my wife) should stay armed and prepared.

So, what happens? I find doors left unlocked. I find blinds left up. A complete absence of any situational awareness. It just isn't a concern to her. It won't happen here!!!

Yes, we live in a nice (and safe) neighborhood. But so did my sister in-law.

There is something in the psyche of most people that just will not let them believe it might happen to them, and that therefore preparation is important.

If the incident I just spoke of can't turn someone into a believer, nothing will.

This is a very touchy subject for the as rocky said "it won't happen to me" runs through their heads.

That is what the 2 singers thought in Garland, TX. That is what a handful of homeowners in Frisco, TX thought last year when they were shot simply answering the doorbell. That is what a Real Estate Agent thought last year in McKinney, just before she was slaughtered in a $1/2 mil show house (not 2 miles from my humble abode).

The stories go on and on, and unfortunately on and on...

What I don't understand is, even with the media bias against us the fact is these things are still reported daily. Some have even been personally affected by someone in the BG category and still refuse to see the light. I'm just worried that for too many the light they eventually do see is the overhead on the Coroner's table.

As you all have stated, it is MY responsibility for every aspect of my family's well being. That is why we homeschool, pray as a family and the Wife and I teach our kids right from wrong, that is why I teach my kids the value of a dollar and hard work. If y kids get in trouble for something stupid they did, get this, they get punished for it and hopefully will learn and not do that again.

"Gee Dad, it hurts when I do this." "then don't do it again, or learn from those who have done it and gotten hurt."

Sometimes the ignorance of the masses simply astound me. It can't happen to me, PLEASE.

I know for a fact that most of the World hates me already:

Straight
    Married
    Conservative (socially and fiscally)
    Christian
    Middle Class

Need I say more, I already have a target on me. But I can also return fire if called upon to do so.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Paco, don't forget to add to your list that you are a gun toting male with a sense of personal responsibility. The left wing lib crowd holds you up there with SATAN.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixintu View Post
    Paco, don't forget to add to your list that you are a gun toting male with a sense of personal responsibility. The left wing lib crowd holds you up there with SATAN.
    Forgot that one, thanks.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fixintu View Post
    yep. before we had all these fancy gizmos and alarms and all, it was you and a gun. that's it.

All of these security systems, etc desensitize people into having false comfort.

I have an alarm system in my house because it keeps my HOI low and would be a first alert system...but i don't rely on it 100%. the alarm won't save me or my wife.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

First of all, I hear you Youngda9, and I fail to understand why most of our society pay so much money for to insure, materialistic items, yet pay so little attention to the lives of there loved ones and themselves'

Thankfully on this forum I think your preaching to the choir.

For the most part, our society feels it is better to block out the bad things that can happen to them than it is to be paranoid and worry about things they can not control.

What I'm trying to say is the members of this forum have accepted the concept that we can NOT count on the Government to protect us, instead we know that we are responsible for our own security, and safety of our families', but at the same time, we go about our lives without being paranoid, because we have taken the appropriate precautions' and carry the tools to have a fighting chance of protecting our loved ones.

We Differ from the rest of society, who walk around like and are oblivious of the fact that they are victim's statistic waiting for a time and place to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    yep. before we had all these fancy gizmos and alarms and all, it was you and a gun. that's it.

All of these security systems, etc desensitize people into having false comfort.

I have an alarm system in my house because it keeps my HOI low and would be a first alert system...but i don't rely on it 100%. the alarm won't save me or my wife.
    I had a home alarm "monitored service" as well until last month. I had always thought it would really bump up my HOI if I got rid of it. I finally called my State Farm rep and found out that getting rid of the monitored home alarm would only result in a $90 a YEAR increase to my HOI!!! On top of that I wanted to get rid of my home phone as we all use cell phones. Got rid of that as well and had my DSL line converted to a straight data line with AT&T and now pay only $25 a month for it. Also, the city I live in (Arlington, TX) charges a $50 a year "alarm permit fee" so that $90 HOI increase drops back down to a net $40 increase AND with the home phone gone I will have a net annual savings of about $1200! I always crack up when the ADT commercials come on TV and they show the BG running away after smashing the window in and the alarm sounds, the ADT guy is on the phone in seconds (not in the real world) and reassures the mom that help is being dispatched. HAH! In the real world the cops show up to find the mom and kids raped and DEAD and the BG long gone. Anywho, call your agent and find out what the REAL cost would be to stop the service. The alarm still works in the home and the siren will still scream, it's just not "monitored" via phone call from the alarm system to a monitoring service. When the alarm monitoring company actually does receive an alarm signal call, what they do is call YOU first to CONFIRM that the alarm is REAL and THEN they in turn call the cops! It also won't help if someone really breaks in to burgle your home while you are away. The BGs will be long gone and then the cops can show up to write a report. The funny thing is when I called the monitoring company to cancel the service they asked why. I told them I was trying to get rid of my home phone service. They said GEE, you don't want to be without the "security" the system offers you and your family. I laughed on that one. The rep then proceeded to tell me they could install a cellular sytem upgrade so that the system could dial them wirelessly and that this was a better option because a BG could cut my incoming land line and the existing system would be unable to dial out for help! I asked how much to upgrade my system. $700! I of course said NO, I'll stick with my 3 dogs, 2 guns and general distrust of my fellow man to get me through.

Just my 2 cents. (or should I say $1200!)
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

a lot of those protections are government mandated to protect the almighty dollar.

home insurance is required by the mortgage company because they own the house not you
    its just one example but in most cases its not even to protect you, its to protect the businesses or to avoid the government having to take care of you if something bad happens.

but if you are attacked, robbed or killed they have very little responsability

america as a society is protecting what we value most, our stuff. not our lives or families etc. (yes i know most everyone who reads this will not be one of the average)

the biggest problem is that most of the population has simply never though about it that way. they just expect the government/police to magically protect them everywhere they go and are comfortable in their naivet'e.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    We have several generations now relying more and more on the government to fix everything. We've got pills to help lose/gain weight, to make you happy/sad, doctors can fix almost anything you do to yourself, parents who buy kids anything to shut them up (read: build self-esteem), yada, yada, yada. The bottom line is we've lost our core values and our founding principles of hard work, self-reliance and self worth. We've (as a society) abrogated almost all responsibility for our actions and well-being to someone else and we face zero consequences for our own choices. The sad part is it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Most of us in the Forum are here because we find solitude and acceptance in surrounding ourselves with like-minded people. Sometimes I have more of a sense of community here than I do in my own neighborhood. I've tried "reaching out" to my neighbors, but some of them I wouldn't reach for on a bet. I can do my part by trying to instill values and morals into my own kids and (eventual) grandkids. (Pretty sad that I've got a better cyber community than a traditional brick & mortar neighborhood!)
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links