Defensive Carry banner

Off shoot of "Some Should Carry"

6K views 77 replies 38 participants last post by  BigJon 
#1 ·
This may end up as a LONG thread. I'd like to know what folks here would argue in response to the following hypothetical beliefs:

1. Anyone who carries a concealed weapon should have to be licensed, and the license requirements should include certification not only in safe-gun-handling skills but also legal, practical and common-sense issues attendent to carrying a concealed weapon. (An argument in favor of this might be, "If someone's going to walk armed around a mall, where my family members might be shopping, he should have proved that he knows how - and when and under what circumstances - the weapon may be employed.")

2. Anyone who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon should have to provide proof every year, as a condition of license renewal, of supervised (by a certified instructor) training that covers both the physical employment of the carried weapon and a refresher course on the legal, practical and common-sense issues attendent to carrying a firearm. (An argument in favor of this might be, "Doctors and lawyers have to provide proof of continiung education each year as a requirement of licensing.")

Now, here's the kicker - I'd like to read comments that do NOT concern the practice of some in DC to use existing record-keeping to further restrict our 2nd Amendment rights.

I'm look forward to reading the coming explosion.

Best,
Jon

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree, only downfall is the yearly refresher/ qualification would be charged to us the permit holders. Perhaps if the permit was less expensive and qual. were resonalbe priced this would be a good move. Even lots of PD officers are not that proficient in firearms use.

#4 · (Edited)
The Declaration of Independence states that we have unalienable rights endowed unto us by our creator.

These include life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I don't need a license to defend the life endowed to me by my creator do I?

I may choose to get one to avoid incarceration, however I have no scriptural obligation to do so.

#5 ·
Congratulations, Jon -- you've suggested a set of requirements that would do any gun control activist proud. That's not a shot at you; I understand what you're trying to say. The problem is like the topic of licensing martial arts instructors, which comes up every now and again as voiced by very well-meaning people. Why not institute quality control, licensing, and oversight of such people to prevent frauds and poor instruction from harming martial arts students?

The answer to that is the same as the answer to all handgun licensing and requirements schemes: The ability to license and regulate a right is the ability to deny that right, no matter how well-meaning is the original regulation.

Just as registration of firearms invariably leads to confiscation, regulation of firearms owners will inevitably lead to the creation of "have's" and "have nots" as those in power define and constrict whom they believe to be worthy.

Are there people carrying guns who should not be? Sure -- just as there are people driving cars who should not be because they are a danger to themselves and others. There are people serving food in restaurants who will make people sick. There are people who babysit young children who shouldn't be doing that, either, because they lack the skills. They are people having children who have no business procreating because they can barely take care of themselves.

The answers to these problems do not and should not involve government regulation and oversight. Down that path lies tyranny. As William Pitt said, "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Either we see our fellow human beings' freedom of action as a benefit to all of us, or we see it as a threat. When we start seeing it as a threat, we become the gun-grabbing leftists who are destroying society through their well-meaning but ultimately tyrannical legislation, regulation, prohibition, and confiscation.

#8 ·
I have to go with QK's for one reason: Who would be the arbitror deciding the ability of any shooter to carry? 'Cause you know damn well politicos are NOT gonna let any real firearms trainer/teacher be the one stamping the renewal on your CCW but some paper-pusher.

CCW, short of warfare, is the ultimate Survival of the Fittest. At the end it is the individual who has the responsability for his training and his weapon to be reliable, and we cannot allow some public servant with a manila folder/ fluorescent light tan on his skin decide if we are fit to carry or not. The ultimate decission will be made when SHTF.

#12 ·
Anyone should be able to purchase and carry any type of weapon available, including military. The military should not be better armed than we, and we should not have to have a license for anything.
Now, I'd like to think reasonable people would feel the need on their own to become qualified with their weapons. I realize that's not the case. However, no one has the right to deny anyone from purchasing and carrying a gun if they want to.

#13 ·
I don't believe there should be a permit system period. I believe that the framers would not support permits. I do believe that the framers did support people pursuing training with arms. So as a responsible citizen I endeavor to train as often as practicable with my arms.

Permits simply give government a way to restrict or deny a right that the framers chose to give to "the people". Also it provides for a tax on people who wish to exercise a right given to "the people".

-Scott-

#14 ·
No argument here. BigJon

IMHO I think a psychological evaluation of the license holder would be nice, along with your first two points.

There is a LOT of people who carry that are a mentally unstable. Some states require character references, but anyone can find three people that will say "sure he/she is very responsible, and mentally stable". To keep my Florida G license, for armed security. I have to get a evaluation, and qualify yearly. I don't see any problem with that. It even reassures me that the people I work with are capable of handling the responsibility.

I'm not a fascist, or an elitist. Its just that there are too many people who carry that gives decent CCW holders a bad name. These people are just arming the Anti's. Thats just my take, for what its worth.

#15 ·
I'd like to know what folks here would argue in response to the following hypothetical beliefs
That discussion would be far beyond record keeping, 2nd Amendment rights, or even political persuasions and ideals.
It would by necessity delve into basic political philosophy and general philosophy, ethics, morality and probably somewhere along the way religion would slip in.

A 'slippery slope' indeed.

The *only* relevant answers to the questions you pose are those that deal with where we draw the line between anarchy and totalitarianism.
There's a lot of distance in there and everyone has a different perspective that changes constantly.

You're asking how much govt control we want or are willing to tolerate...to what extent is it the govts job to keep us safe, from others or ourselves...how much control should any man or woman have over another...where does personal responsibility end and govt begin...the subjects that arise from a brief consideration of your questions are beyond numerous...

And that's a wonderful thing, because it forces us to look and analyze outside ourselves.

But there are no 'answers' to the question.

Phil's post comes closer than I ever could to describing the gist of it...the 'gut' description of one side (my side) of the argument.
(And very well said Sir!!)

Got any easier questions??? :wink:

#16 ·
Mr. Jon:

Your question makes my really consider my personal values, sir. Six months ago I would have agreed with more regulation and redtape. Now, with no specific "incident" to "blame", I agree with QKShooter. I've seen too many slippery slopes in my life, and just don't think this is an argument we want to allow to begin.

QKShooter said:
I am a strong believer in Personal Responsibility.
I would rather keep the lid on Pandora's Box closed as tightly as possible.
Everyone appears to be thinking about their values - good question.

:999:

#17 ·
There is a LOT of people who carry that are a mentally unstable.
This is simply untrue -- and it's the sort of misinformation the firearms prohibitionists love to see us propagating amongst ourselves.

Legal analysis of Florida after the institution of its Shall Issue carry law, for example, showed us a couple of very eye-opening facts. Not only did violent crime in Florida decrease (the anti-gunners were going on about blood in the streets), but holders of legal permits (thus the only people legally carrying in Florida) were found to commit crimes at a fraction of the rate of the population at large. This means that those carrying in Florida were, compared to the general public, less likley to be "mentally unstable."

Certainly, there are mentally unstable people who carry guns. They are the exception, not the rule. I am not willing to grant my government the power to decide who is worthy and who is not in the absence of some crime or other substantial evidence of mental illness.

#19 ·
I think the free states of Vermont and Alaska got this whole gun thing down pat.
I am pretty much with srfl. As too with automobiles there will always be those who finish up not ideally suited to ownership and use but first we have our rights and second is what we might call the ''for the greater good'' approach. That means, why punish the many for the sins/failings of the few.

Slippery slopes concern me a lot - I have seen too many. My only caveat really is a wish that folks who decide to carry should know certain things and have certain skills. The better to help themselves and others - safely. They have the right to bear arms but - logically IMO some semblance of competance is useful.

Then tho is the problem - is this voluntary or mandated! In PA folks who do this do so voluntarily which in essence is fine but I'll bet there are some folks with a carry permit who really could do with some help!! Other extreme tho is a state that mandates training - sometimes almost to excess with time and cost - as if hoping to dissuade folks from going that route.

Overall, more control is just that - more control - in essence the anti's main mantra - control.

#21 ·
I'm with P95Carry and Phil. I recently got out of one of the most controlling organizations on earth, the US Army. One of my main problems with military life was the restrictions placed on my ability to own and use my own weaponry. Technically, I was permitted to keep firearms and other deadly weapons (like my knife collection) in the unit arms room. Practically speaking, when they were in the arms room they were of absolutely no use to me. The red tape involved with accessing them was tremendous and greatly discouraged weapons ownership among those who lived in the barracks. I ended up moving off post on my own dime to regain the freedom to do as I wished on my free time. It was costly, but allowed me to buy a revolver and shoot with it frequently. That was only one of many restrictive policies I had to deal with. My experience with regulation and red tape of this type is that it effectively takes away your freedom. I passed on re-enlistment for that and other reasons, and I was offered a five-figure bonus to stay in. It still wasn't enough to make me put up with that BS anymore. If the government ever gets as restrictive as the Army, something has gone seriously wrong.

#24 ·
I'm in agreement with many of you, but especially raevan. They should require every household to at least own and be competant with a firearm, whether it be rifle, pistol or shotgun. Then they should reduce the amount of grief someone has to suffer with the law should they ever have to actually use it to defend themselves....

#25 ·
You want annual testing for an activity that has too many people who don't know what they are doing or are mentally unstable? Good, let's start with car drivers - they kill tens of thousands every year.
Let's go to married couples next. We should really do something about those people having and raising children willy-nilly.
And I can't begin to describe the damage done to society by people who are allowed to warp others' minds with religion. Preists, ministers, etc., all should have their belief systems approved.
As far as that goes, you should need training and licensing to publicly speak or publish. Just so proper English is used and no one is offended.

See where this goes? And not only do the CCW holders have a lower incidence per capita of criminal acts than the general population, they have a lower incidence of criminal acts per capita than LEO's!

Until I see evidence pointing otherwise, I have faith in my fellow American. Sort of the "innocent until proven guilty" principle applied to life in general.

#26 ·
You may desire to have "permission" from your state to carry.
A Democrat legislator from Alaska, Eric Croft, while addressing a group celebrating 10 years of Shall issue in Arizona said it well: “…why is it that we should have to get a government permit to exercise a constitutional right?"

I desire to live with my God given right to self preservation-it is so important our founding fathers even wrote a bit about it in the Bill of Rights.
Yep, freedom can be sticky, sweaty and uncomfortable. I will wager we are far more danger from idiots with cars that non quals with guns.
It is a personal responsibility issue, not a legal matter.
Respectfully Yours,
Rob Leahy
(Live From the Relatively Free State of Alaska)

http://www.havegunwillvote.com/index.php?sec=news&id=304

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.