CT non-resident permit

CT non-resident permit

This is a discussion on CT non-resident permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the costs/requirements? I thought I saw you needed an NRA class w/LIVE FIRE scores. I have the class but no documented scores, is ...

Thread: CT non-resident permit

CT non-resident permit

What are the costs/requirements? I thought I saw you needed an NRA class w/LIVE FIRE scores. I have the class but no documented scores, is that correct?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    What are the costs/requirements? I thought I saw you needed an NRA class w/LIVE FIRE scores. I have the class but no documented scores, is that correct?
    I do not remember the exact cost, but it was something like $40 for 5 years. You do not need documented scores, just a NRA pistol safety class certificate. Call the Connecticut State Police at 860-685-8494 and make sure you tell them non-resident. (Otherwise they will forward you to your local CT police department.) The police in Stamford were very nice about doing the fingerprinting (unlike my local precinct which first looked shocked and then said no way). They even refused to take my money for the finger printing because I was in EMS uniform.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

I went through the Middletown DPS they were helpful @ 860-685-8123. It took 13wks. $19.25 for fingerprint fees, $35.00 for permit. Copy of firearms safety course for pistols & revolvers doesn't have to be NRA, no scores needed. They will send your app. package back if not complete make sure you have everything they ask for to the letter.

OK good.I thought I was going to have to do another class or something.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    I looked into this and the stumbling block for me was finding the appropriate class.

The second issue for me--as a non-resident-- was how to get a gun into CT. You have to go through either NY and NJ or through Mass., unless you fly into Hartford.

Then, there were restrictions I noted that made me kind of concerned that it was not going to be worth my effort. I don't recall what they were-- I looked into this last year.

What I saw on CT's website was an NRA class would be acceptable for training. I haven't received the package yet, but a number of states also require a permit from another state,which I have.
    I don't plan on going to CT, I want it for 2 reasons, to help our "cause". Higher numbers of CCW, the better. Also, I wanted to add extra permits before I send off for NJ's permit. May not help but can't hurt.
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

If you're not a Connecticut resident, you'll need to send a photocopy of your current permit. If you don't have a home-state permit (because, for example, you live in New Jersey), then send a copy of your Florida, Utah, or whatever you have and a copy of your NJ FID (which they don't ask for on the application form, but they'll send it back if you don't supply it.) Also, there is a question on the Connecticut form asking you to state the "purpose" for wanting the permit. The question is to fulfill the legislative requirement that they "inquire as to whether you intend to use a firearm for an illegal purpose." Just put down "self defense, target shooting, and all legal purposes," or something similar. You don't have to "justify" why you want it; we're essentially "shall issue." But you have to answer the question that you do not intend to do anything illegal. Silly? Of course, but that's almost a requirement for any law passed by our state legislature -- and by the other 49, too.

Mine arrived today like 10 minutes ago which I'd sent off over 60 days ago.

I had sent it off along with PA, NH, and FL all on the same day.
    PA arrived within weeks, NH several weeks there after, and CT months later. I'm still waiting on FL.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If you're not a Connecticut resident, you'll need to send a photocopy of your current permit. If you don't have a home-state permit (because, for example, you live in New Jersey), then send a copy of your Florida, Utah, or whatever you have and a copy of your NJ FID (which they don't ask for on the application form, but they'll send it back if you don't supply it.) Also, there is a question on the Connecticut form asking you to state the "purpose" for wanting the permit. The question is to fulfill the legislative requirement that they "inquire as to whether you intend to use a firearm for an illegal purpose." Just put down "self defense, target shooting, and all legal purposes," or something similar. You don't have to "justify" why you want it; we're essentially "shall issue." But you have to answer the question that you do not intend to do anything illegal. Silly? Of course, but that's almost a requirement for any law passed by our state legislature -- and by the other 49, too.
    Actually, less than that. WV doesn't ask what your purpose is. I highly doubt any gangbanger will put down he needs the permit to conduct "thuglike activities," so I'm not sure what it serves, other than maybe a legal way out if some CCWer goes nuts and kills people.
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    What I saw on CT's website was an NRA class would be acceptable for training. I haven't received the package yet, but a number of states also require a permit from another state,which I have.
    I don't plan on going to CT, I want it for 2 reasons, to help our "cause". Higher numbers of CCW, the better. Also, I wanted to add extra permits before I send off for NJ's permit. May not help but can't hurt.
    I live in NYC & did it for the same reasons just to support the cause

Utah (Sent 03/10/07 Received 07/26/07)
    New Hampshire (Sent 08/06/07 Received 08/31/07)
    Virginia (Sent 08/16/07 Received 09/28/07)
    Connecticut (Sent 08/16/07 Received 09/28/07)
    Florida (Sent 08/16/07 Received 10/26/07)
    Maine (Sent 08/16/07 Received 12/31/07)

Sponsored Links