Stats-guns used against you?

This is a discussion on Stats-guns used against you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I have been on many other gun forums and have been looking for a place more devoted to personal carry- I found it! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stats-guns used against you?

Hey everyone, I have been on many other gun forums and have been looking for a place more devoted to personal carry-I found it!
    Are there any statistics out there showing the incidents where a person's piece was actually used against them? I know the number would be very low, but am very interested to hear it.
    I have a couple 'antis' in the family and that is a big concern of thiers.
    Thanks all...

There are lots of stats... but I think the answer you will find will be quite different depending on the source. The Brady Campaign website will give you some very anti-gun statistics, so go there if you want some "worst case scenario" statistics. Maybe more info on the Uniform Crime Report.

Welcome from SOCAL
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

welcome aboard

can't answer the stats question,
    but welcome to D.C. from s.e. michigan.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Don't know about stats but usually when somebodys gun is used against them is the criminal found it in the residence where they kept it or the individual pulled their gun but allowed the Bad Guy to get close enough to disarm them,this could happen several ways but IMHO if you carry for self defense you better be willing and able to pull the trigger,I think some people think that merely pointing a gun at somebody will scare them off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome from Colorado! Check with the NRA. They're almost as good at tracking stats as Major League Baseball!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

From what I have read, it is more common with Police officers than anybody else, and that's simply because they open carry, and are engaged with physical struggles much more often than others.

As far as your concealed handgun being used against you. I don't think you will find meaningful stats on that. If it happens, its because you failed to fire when you should have.

Welcome to DefensiveCarry!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret

Hard to find facts, the media 'taints' anything it hears and spins it 'anti'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Florida also!!
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I have tried looking for these same "facts"...and haven't been able to find them--it is that rare. I would put it back on the anti family member(s) to go find their data to support their assertion (Brady "facts" notwithstanding).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    From what I have read, it is more common with Police officers than anybody else, and that's simply because they open carry, and are engaged with physical struggles much more often than others.

As far as your concealed handgun being used against you. I don't think you will find meaningful stats on that. If it happens, its because you failed to fire when you should have.

Welcome to DefensiveCarry!
    I agree, it's more a concerned for LEO's and those who open carry. The only exception would be coming home and finding a BG had already broke in and uses your own gun against you.

And welcome from Florida

I did some reading and research on this very topic. You see every time Open Carry ( OC) comes up folks start claimimg how it makes you a target for a bad guy, he will shoot you first and then proceed with his crime. Or a bad guy will steal your gun and use it against you. I found none of the above to be true. In fact OC is more likely to make the BG think twice about performing his crime and waiting until you are long gone. Please don't misunderstand me, I believe CC has a tactical advantage over OC, But I wanted to disprove that when you are OCing you are taking a huge chance of being shot in the back, or your gun taken from you, not saying it can't happen, it just isn't a wide spread problem. I also always use a full retention holster when OCing.
    Good Luck and welcome to D.C.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

NCHornet, I just wanted to point out that I did not say anything about civilians Open Carrying.

I said it was more common(even though it is still very rare) with LEO, and that was because they Open Carry AND are more likely to get into physical confrontations on a daily basis with very bad people.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The basic truth of HCI/Brady stats is: yes, by their statistical model, it is true a weapon in the home is more likely to be used against the "owner."
    They include felons/convicts in their stats, so rather obviously these parties run a higher risk of violent assault in the first place and are more likely to have unsecured arms.

Welcome from Arizona.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links