CC at the tailor

This is a discussion on CC at the tailor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopped at Men's Warehouse to get a new sport coat this evening. Wearing kahkis, polo shirt, G27 in the MTAC tucked. This guy helped me ...

Thread: CC at the tailor

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

CC at the tailor

Stopped at Men's Warehouse to get a new sport coat this evening. Wearing kahkis, polo shirt, G27 in the MTAC tucked. This guy helped me try on about 10 coats and then took me over to the tailor. The tailor was an elderly lady of asian descent and a thick accent. She was a little surprised when she was pinning up the coat and noticed the large print if she took in the right side of the coat. Although she seemed surprised initially, I got the feeling it probably wasn't her first time running into this problem.

Turns out she could only take in my left side and had to leave the right side with the factory stitching or the G27 printed like crazy. I however was really surprised when I took the coat and tailoring receipt back to the guy who originally helped me. He was having a hard time understanding why the coat only needed to be taken in on one side. I ended up telling him I was heavier on one side, (mostly the front side), and we had a good laugh. I would have thought he should have noticed me print at some point or other with all the coats we were trying on and the polo shirts seem to print more than a button up shirt (on me anyway).

Well, just sharing. Thankfully, that is about as exciting as CC gets for me.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

I just went through that myself last month, also at a Men's Wearhouse. Problem I had was the one I go to is in a "posted" mall. Now, when I wear that suit I carry my j-frame in an IWB in the appendix position - not my preferred handgun to carry for defense but my 1911s and especially my G19 are pushing the limits of concealment in that jacket.
    Jack

Last time I had a suit tailored (also at Men's Wearhouse), I told the tailor that I would be carrying. He left and talked to another tailor who asked if I was carrying the gun I would be using while wearing the suit I was purchasing, I said no and he gave me his card with his schedule for the next week written on the back. He told me to by the suit and come back when he was working, tailored the suit to make me look thinner (as much as possible), and conceals a 3" 1911 OWB quite well. Any decent tailor should know how to fit clothing for any specific need, but I live in Utah.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I know a company I use to work for in the 80's had custom made sport coats for their security staff, to cover up the Uzi 9-mm they carried in a right side shoulder rig..

And it did a really great job of covering the fact they where carrying a submachine gun, on one side and two extra magazine on the other.

I had the same situation at a Suit store, I think it was C&R, I wasn't planning on buying a suit, we were just in the mall and they were having a huge sale and the wife wanted me to have a new suit for a cruise and church. Things went well until we went to the fitting room and I had my G23 on my right hip. I just told the guy that I was legally carrying a sidearm, he replied "Good for you, I carry when not at work" and we proceeded to talk about weapons as he Tailored my suit. It was a very pleasant transaction.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Thanks for sharing the stories. My next suit will come from Men's Warehouse if that is the way they treat good folks with Guns.

I, too have had several very positive experiences while carrying at Men's Warehouse. I get the impression that customers carrying weapons is a common thing at their stores. The only problem is that they try to sell you the whole store if you want to buy a pair of socks.

havnt had that problem yet, But good thing she didnt over react.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FFEric06 View Post
    havnt had that problem yet, But good thing she didnt over react.
    That was my concern. I made sure there was no sign "no guns for good guys" on the door because I knew that the tailor at the very least would find out. I made sure to chat her up pretty good and have a few laughs before she got too touchy feely and discovered I had something hidden in my pants.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    That was my concern. I made sure there was no sign "no guns for good guys" on the door because I knew that the tailor at the very least would find out. I made sure to chat her up pretty good and have a few laughs before she got too touchy feely and discovered I had something hidden in my pants.
    whoa wait a minute....i thought we where talkin bout guns

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    And here I thought all you rich guys getting tailored suits had body guards... lol.

I haven't bought a suit since the day I got married... except for the tux jacket I got to go with my kilt but it fit so nice out of the box I never had it tailored. I'll have to remember to wear something tuckable so I'm not parading around with my weapon clearly visible on my hip.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

this thread reminded me that they called and said my new pants are ready to be picked up as of 34 minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Last time I had a suit tailored (also at Men's Wearhouse), I told the tailor that I would be carrying. He left and talked to another tailor who asked if I was carrying the gun I would be using while wearing the suit I was purchasing, I said no and he gave me his card with his schedule for the next week written on the back. He told me to by the suit and come back when he was working, tailored the suit to make me look thinner (as much as possible), and conceals a 3" 1911 OWB quite well. Any decent tailor should know how to fit clothing for any specific need, but I live in Utah.

That is an awesome story! He must have been a gunny.
    OD G19 || G26 || OD KT P3AT

Links