Does anyone use a Non-Res as their primary?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use a Non-Res as their primary? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone out there that decided to use a non-resident permit in lieu of their home-state's? I know Florida requires their own permit within 90 days, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a Non-Res as their primary?

Anyone out there that decided to use a non-resident permit in lieu of their home-state's? I know Florida requires their own permit within 90 days, but I imagine there are other states that will honor out-of-state licenses used by their own residents.

What are the reasons for doing this?

I am using a FL permit as my primary right now. In LA our permit wasn't accepted in Arkansas for many years so the gun shops in the north end of the state were pushing FL permits over the LA permits so many use them up there. I want the LA permit I just haven't been able to find the time and the class schedule and mine matching up so I can take the classes. FL accepted other education I already had for their license.

LA accepts permits from a state that will accept the LA permit. There is not residency requirements....yet.

I live in Kansas City, Missouri. For the first year or so after CCW was enacted in Missouri, the Jackson County Sheriff refused to process applications or issue permits so I carried on a Florida permit.

I only broke down and got a Missouri permit when it became apparent that Kansas' CCW was going to go through and they don't honor non-res permits.

I also have a friend that had a misdemeanor weapons charge many years ago (the proverbial judged by 12 instead of carried by 6) which made him ineligible for Missouri's permit, but was good to go by Florida's standards.

Joe

Ditto here on raytracer's comments.
    I, for example, cannot get an NC permit (state of residency), but can get a VA and FL non-resident permit (and have done so) and both are honored by NC.

Thanks for the answers... so the question continues with:

Any trouble with law enforcement for not having a local permit (or carrying even though disqualified for a resident permit)?

This is kind of a continuation of my loophole post, and though I'm happy that it sounds like a friend may be able to carry, I'm a bit suprised that so many states have such an obvious hole in their laws!

I told a guy here in tx he can get a florida non resident,he owes on student loans and in tx until he clears them up will not issue a license
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I live in OH and the only permit I have is FL.

Never been stopped while carrying.

I do this because at the time, FL non-res permit was honored by CO, which I visit frequently. So I got it instead of OH.

Now CO does not accept non-res permits. They still don't accept OH, so why bother getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    This is kind of a continuation of my loophole post, and though I'm happy that it sounds like a friend may be able to carry, I'm a bit suprised that so many states have such an obvious hole in their laws!
    THIS IS NOT A LOOPHOLE!!!!!

Carrying a firearm is a right of the people. The guberment is just creating a money making beuracracy by licensing how you dress when you are armed.

In most states:

Carrying OWB with shirt tucked in, legal.

Carrying OWB with shirt untucked, illegal unless you have a permit.

Um, isn't this the same topic that you already posted a thread on?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I have a FL permit - doesn't show up on a DL search if I'm pulled over. No need to be yanked from my car at gunpoint by an overzealous cop if avoidable. In MO there's no requirement to disclose unless asked.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Anyone out there that decided to use a non-resident permit in lieu of their home-state's? I know Florida requires their own permit within 90 days, but I imagine there are other states that will honor out-of-state licenses used by their own residents.

What are the reasons for doing this?
    Just as an added FYI, Florida does not recognize any non-res permits.

So if you move to Florida, your old permit is not valid in Florida, since you no longer reside in the jurisdiction where your permit was issued.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    My only permit is FL, because the People's Soviet of Maryland doesn't deem my life worthy of self-protection.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Just Moved to Louisiana and they Honor NH non res Permits. I was in Arkansas but had to give it up when I left. Called La stae Police and NH Police to make sure it is still valid and good. I am Otay for a 25 dollar investment 1 year ago for 3 more yrs

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    My only permit is FL, because the People's Soviet of Maryland doesn't deem my life worthy of self-protection.
    yep - Utah non-res for me
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Um, isn't this the same topic that you already posted a thread on?

Kinda, the last post was information about if doing so was legal... this post is asking who else does it and why. I thought a different question warranted a new post? Sorry for the inconvenience if I'm wrong. Thanks for the input anyways guys, I'm trying to help out a buddy.

Until yesterday, I figured everyone did or was required to have a local permit. Learn something new...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links