Non-resident traveling through Nebraska

This is a discussion on Non-resident traveling through Nebraska within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone familiar with Nebraska laws clarify the provision "in plain sight" concerning vehicle carry for a non-resident? I understand that Omaha is a no-go ...

Thread: Non-resident traveling through Nebraska

Can someone familiar with Nebraska laws clarify the provision "in plain sight" concerning vehicle carry for a non-resident? I understand that Omaha is a no-go without a Nebraska concealed carry license, but believe the O.C. is legal for a non-resident in the rest of the state.

Thanks,
    Jim
    An armed man is a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Call/email the state's AG. I've emailed an AG and received a response on official letterhead - in case an LEO isn't familiar with the actual laws of the state/city.

Outside of Omaha & Lincoln the State is fairly gun friendly.I think a Email to the AG will be answered. Print it out.Plain sight is open to interpretation.If stopped inform the officer you have legal firearm on the seat or wherever and you should be fine. The further West you go the better it gets.PM me if you need more.
    Hugh

Just so I understand this, I am going to visit my family in Nebraska, as a TX resident with a CHL I know it is not reconized in NE. Are you supposed to put your handguns under lock and key or am I hearing this right that the gun can be in plain sight? That means like in the seat next to you?
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    Just so I understand this, I am going to visit my family in Nebraska, as a TX resident with a CHL I know it is not reconized in NE. Are you supposed to put your handguns under lock and key or am I hearing this right that the gun can be in plain sight? That means like in the seat next to you?
    On the seat next to you, in plain view, will not get you into any trouble in Nebraska......outside of Omaha, Lincoln, or Kearney.

In fact, in most places, as long as you're not a dirtbag, few Nebraska LEOs will give you trouble over a pistol in the glove box.

Reciprocity is unclear at this point, as our CCW program is fairly new. The law says that Nebraska will honor permits from all states who honor ours.

Kearney does not honor even NEBRASKA CCW permits. I'm not sure how to explain that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    On the seat next to you, in plain view, will not get you into any trouble in Nebraska......outside of Omaha, Lincoln, or Kearney.

In fact, in most places, as long as you're not a dirtbag, few Nebraska LEOs will give you trouble over a pistol in the glove box.

Reciprocity is unclear at this point, as our CCW program is fairly new. The law says that Nebraska will honor permits from all states who honor ours.

Kearney does not honor even NEBRASKA CCW permits. I'm not sure how to explain that.....
    Well I visit up there at least a couple times a year so trying to make sure I am legal there. Kind of stupid, with a TX CHL I can carry in Oklahoma and Kansas, but techinally not in NE. Here in TX we do honor NE license holders as long as they abide by TX carrying law, I think the Governor Rick Perry added NE to the list of states with carry licenses that are honored in the hope that state will in turn do the same. The conceal license law up there definatly was good for the people up there, but find it stupid that they allowed cities to "opt out" of allowing conceal carry, I know down here cities cannot opt out, only businesses can opt out and they must get an offical sign known as the "30'06 sign"(yes it really is numbered after the rifle, the state statue number) with one inch letters that must be displayed at the entrance to the business. Those little signs with the picture of a pistol with a circle and slash through it that says no guns are not valid and you cannot be barred from carrying. Hope NE works on reciprocity and hope one day they fix it so cities can't stop you from carrying. Of course I remember how sorry the legislature is up there and I keep up with them since my family lives there.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Is there a link to the Nebraska statutes on carrying of weapons?

They sure put alot of exceptions to where you can carry in their law.

Samuel Adams

Going up there tomorrow. I guess I can conceal carry in OK and KS and once I reach the NE state line throw it up in my front seat. That will seem strange in the wide open for all to see!

Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Good Luck and let us know how it all goes.

Well got back from NE and it was very uneventful. Guess I didn't give a reason to be pulled over by a LEO. Although I still find it funny that state has to slow its speed limits down to 65(2 lanes in either direction) or 60(one lane each direction). LOL Slowest limits I always see in the country. But did discuss the conceal issues with family and others and for some reason alot of people up there are either just ignorant or don't know much. Obviously most people there are pro gun, however so many said they didn't need a conceal permit law there, they always use the line, "this isn't the wild west" arguement. Even my family can't understand why I conceal carry. I live in Dallas, and of course larger cities are going to have more crime and that is why I stay armed, on the flip side they live in a very small populated area where crime is rare and maybe that is why they just don't get it. I always tell them though, everytime you see a shooting or crime happen in a small town, the victims and witnesses always say the samething, "I never though it would happen in our town" Hope people up there warm up to the idea of conceal carry soon. I wish my family would carry too, I have a sister in Lincoln and see is your typical young college gal(meaning she's prone to listen to these nuts on college campus) and won't carry. Hope her and the rest of the people up there don't have to wait to become a victim to see the advantage, or worse some stupid politician up there decides after a crime to try more gun control.

Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links