Suprise Attack vs Developed Situations

This is a discussion on Suprise Attack vs Developed Situations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody know of where I could find the statistics on the number of assaults that were by ambush (not possible to react or get ...

Does anybody know of where I could find the statistics on the number of assaults that were by ambush (not possible to react or get a read until it was too late) vs the number of assaults when people saw their assailants with time to react or get a read on the situation before it happened? In other words, how many assaults were committed by those lying in wait vs those by perceived opportunity?

I expect some will say that they never go anywhere they could get ambushed and others will say that they are always on a high state of alert and aware of their surroundings, but I donít think that is possible or reality in this world.

The reason I ask this is because it does not matter how long you train and how many BUGs you have if someone turns the corner and puts a gun to your nose, youíre done. How often do these type of assaults occur were it does not make a difference if you were armed or not?

I carry everyday / all day, but I canít help to think that this is how it would probably go down if it ever were to happen to me.

Any thoughts?

High alert at all times ? Not me. But after growing up in the streets of Brooklyn in the 50's, and working in and around NYC for most of my life I know when to walk on the other side of the street and to stay away from dark alleys.

Any time I am forced into a situation like the above I AM in high alert, hand on gun and ready to use it.

As far as " if someone turns the corner and puts a gun to your nose, youíre done". I will revert to what I learned many years ago and do my best to come out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post

As far as " if someone turns the corner and puts a gun to your nose, youíre done". I will revert to what I learned many years ago and do my best to come out alive.
    +1 on this. Also, to answer your original question regarding statistical information, you would probably be able to find something similar in the FBI's Uniform Crime Statistical Reports. Here is a link to all the Uniform Crime Reports that they have published since 1995. These are a great resource. Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports hope I helped.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

No statistics I've ever seen slice the information as finely as that, as to all factors regarding the "victim" and assailant. I'm betting that the best you're going to find will be the USDOJ or FBI crime reports and statistics, the CDC death/injury databases, and anecdotal stories about what the "victim" was perceiving/thinking about the attack. Others may have found more-detailed stats out there, but I haven't seen such.

About the closest I've seen is: whether the victim knew the attacker. Beyond the standard facts about a given attack, such as time/date/weapon, there isn't much captured in a standardized way. Certainly not well enough or broadly enough to be statistically meaningful.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Good question, and I don't know where to find those stats, or even if they exist and are kept current.

I could guess that for the GG the developed situation would roughly be a 50:50 situation, though the surprise attack probaby favors the BG at 90:10 Of course all this is strictly a guess on my part.

Vested- "The reason I ask this is because it does not matter how long you train and how many BUGs you have if someone turns the corner and puts a gun to your nose, youíre done. How often do these type of assaults occur were it does not make a difference if you were armed or not?"

The above are my thoughts too after being unexpectantly blind-sided by a darned-cow-surprise-attack. Being suddenly thrust into a life or death survival mode will overwhelm a lot of training. I'm not discounting the need for training, and fully agree with as much training as possible, and training puts the odds in your favor though there are no 100% guarantees for success. Related thread link below.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...xperience.html
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I would imagine that most of the stats are, like posted earlier, are based on the emotions and recollection of the victims. Most of them, being sheeple, probably ALL say "he came out of nowhere" as they have no SA. And most of the ones that could see they were being stalked probably never turned out to be a statistic as they likely identified and evaded like all animals in that situation.

I doubt that stats like this exist. Some quotes you will commonly hear from victims of an attack are, "It happened so fast", "He came out of nowhere", “This only happens to other people”, “This doesn’t happen in my part of town, I live in a good neighborhood”. That is because most people are not alert to their surroundings or they only become alert when in the so called bad part of town, never thinking bad things can happen anywhere. The bad guy has the advantage of picking and choosing his victim and when and where to attack. The victim can only guess when it might happen.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Vested View Post
    The reason I ask this is because it does not matter how long you train and how many BUGs you have if someone turns the corner and puts a gun to your nose, youíre done. How often do these type of assaults occur were it does not make a difference if you were armed or not?
    That does not happen, as described. If a tweaker is really jumping, and looking for the first possible mark, he/she will be twitchy enough to notice. Equally, if someone(s) are evaluating you for take-down, there are telling behaviors.

No anvils fall from Heaven. It's simply a matter of what we do or do not notice. Ergo, training and mindset will keep you out of 99.99% of the trouble around. Training will also increase your odds in the final 0.01%, all other things being equal.

Not trying to be snide, but the "can't forsee everything" position is a commonly used argument for those unwilling to train, learn, and generally harden up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vested View Post
    if someone turns the corner and puts a gun to your nose
    If this happens it is probably because you have been under scrutiny by the BG for anywhere from minutes to days. He has probably judged you as vulnerable to an assault, an easy victim.

No one is capable of 100% in the following: avoidance of dangerous areas, unfailing awareness of your surroundings and threat recognition and response training. However, if you avoid being predictable in your habits (e.g. go the same places at the same times on the same days) and strive to gain competence in those three areas to the point that you exercise these skills automatically without constantly feeling uneasy, then you should enjoy life knowing that your safety depends upon your habits and your training and not your ability to figure out what to do in a millisecond when you are suddenly presented with a threat.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Not trying to be snide, but the "can't forsee everything" position is a commonly used argument for those unwilling to train, learn, and generally harden up a bit.

My OP was based on what the statistics were for each of the two types of assaults and not an attempt to make an excuse for not training or preparing. I could not agree more that training is a vital part of ones survival. I should have been more clear in my OP by adding that ďassuming that one has trainedĒ.

Another scenario that may help describe the different types of attacks that I am asking about is some of the armed robbery videos that you can find on You Tube. Some BGs have blitzed through the doors with guns at the ready while others have done some pretend shopping before approaching the clerk.

Hope this clarifies my intention.

Links