Camping legality?

This is a discussion on Camping legality? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I know that if you are in a hotel room, it is considered temporary domicile, and you do not need a permit to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping legality?

Camping legality?

OK, so I know that if you are in a hotel room, it is considered temporary domicile, and you do not need a permit to keep your weapon on you. My question is, what about a tent, while camping at a place similar to the KOA. It is private property, and you are in a "temporary domicile", or is that a stretch? What are you guys' thoughts on this matter? I am just curious.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

My thoughts are:

1. I'm gonna take a gun for defence against animals and secondly for the two legged pests

2. If I use it to defend my life, what jury will rule against me?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    My thoughts are:

1. I'm gonna take a gun for defence against animals and secondly for the two legged pests

2. If I use it to defend my life, what jury will rule against me?
    1. (no reply.)

2. The jury that thinks that laws should be changed so you would not have had your gun on you in the first place

Administrator
    Theanswer will vary from state to state and campground to camp ground. Most are state owned around here, I would imagine its frowned on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

depends on if you get charged for the shooting, or if they just charge you for having the handgun where you weren't allowed to. I've read about it happening so it has to be true, right? ;)
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Theanswer will vary from state to state and campground to camp ground. Most are state owned around here, I would imagine its frowned on.
    Thanks for the reply Sixto. I would imagine it is too, but honestly who is going to go out camping, with the possibility of an animal attack or drunken retard attack, unarmed? To me, the wilderness is no place to be left unprepared.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

VIP Member
    I'm going camping next week at a private campground. Nothing on their website or in their rules say I can't carry, so I will be packing. Here in Virginia it is legal to carry concealed in a state park, so if I am going there I carry as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Just like a hotel, in your tent, no one will know and no one will care, and while the true definition will be determined state by state, regarding this being your temporary home, I feel conferrable doing such.

However, ware your sidearm around your campsite at KOA, or around the pool at the motel, and you'll find out real quick what security things about it.

Some states differ; Example in the State of Florida a NON CCL holder is prohibit from bring a firearm into a state park, whereas a CCL holder is not.

Here, state parks are okay, also your camper and tent, and motel room are same as your home.
    "A man has a right to protect his property and his life"
    Robert Duvall
    Open Range

I've stayed in several KOAs and have never seen one posted in any manner. Have stayed in them in Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado & Kansas. My thought is they would lose a lot of business during hunting season if they didn't allow firearms. 3 years ago, we stayed in a KOA in Colorado during Elk season. Gaging by the number of 4-wheelers starting up 2 hours before daylight each day, I'm guessing there were a lot of hunters there.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

In Oregon, ORS 166.250 (2) (b) states:
    Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.
    Note that it indicates "residence" includes vessels and vehicles that are used as residential quarters. Doesn't exclude tent, lean-to or the stars used as quarters. So, the way I read Oregon law is that it's acknowledged that a person has the right to defense at residence, no matter how temporary or transitory. CHL holders are exempt from this prohibition. If it's not prohibited, it's allowed.

Uncertain about Washington, specifically.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Depends on your state, and whether you are in a National Forest (permitted, depending on state) or National Park (verboten at this time).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Depends on your state, and whether you are in a National Forest (permitted, depending on state) or National Park (verboten at this time).
    That is right, each State is different. And it really doesn't matter what is legal in your State if you are travelling in another.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    OK, so I know that if you are in a hotel room, it is considered temporary domicile, and you do not need a permit to keep your weapon on you. My question is, what about a tent, while camping at a place similar to the KOA. It is private property, and you are in a "temporary domicile", or is that a stretch? What are you guys' thoughts on this matter? I am just curious.
    It depends on the state you live in. It might be okay where you are. In California, there are circumstances when a firearm is allowed on a campsite. Other issues come into play though, whether it's a national park, state park, or even whether the campsite fall in the city limits where firearms are prohibited.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

As others have stated check your local law, or with the property owner of the KOA. The states around here will allow carry within state parks, AR, doesn't allow it within the actual buildings. Corps of Engineer property has their own set of rules to learn. Just research it a bit.

I will say this, 1, a KOA is not wilderness in my book, 2, I would not feel that a tent is a place I would want to secure my firearm when I am not around. If your not allowed to conceal the firearm in the location your staying, then secure it in your vehicle unless it is at the time your sleeping in your tent.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links