Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can see it both ways, as long as if you do carry and drink it is a small amount (every person's ability is different) ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant

I can see it both ways, as long as if you do carry and drink it is a small amount (every person's ability is different) so who's to say that is 1 or 3.

I personally don't, other than in my own home. I am getting too old to be out getting my buzz on so I don't have to worry about that.

I just think, as witness9mm stated, I want to be 100% sure I am crystal if the Sigma has to be deployed.

"Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

2. Remove Ads

For me its all about the edge, anything that takes the edge off is a no go.I don't like the feeling of not being in 100% control of my God given spider senses, just too vurenable. Easy for me to say as a non-drinker, I did taste a Bud once in the Marines or maybe it was more than once, 23yrs ago. I think CCers should be the beacon of personal responsibility.

I don't drink....so why can't I carry?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have an interesting view on this. I am absolutely opposed to drinking and shooting. I hate being on an outdoor range in the forest with people who are drinking beer and shooting their guns. It is absolutely retarded. Now, that being said, I will have A drink while CCWing. My reasoning for this is that the chances that I would have to use it in the 30 minutes it takes for the alcohol to leave my system is pretty low. I don't go to the bar or anything, maybe just a beer with dinner. I know that this may be view as "not responsible" or that I am dangerous, but i guess I just have a different view of it. I think that guns and alcohol don't mix, but every once in a while I'll have a beer while carrying. Does that make me an irresponsible carrier?..you be the judge.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I don't drink....so why can't I carry?
    I'd quit drinking all together if I could carry in a restaurant or bar.

I blame Jimmy Naifeh.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I carry whenever I go into a restaurant that sells alcohol, not a bar ie 51% signage here in Texas, and I often drink when I am carrying.

What is the big deal really? Some people shouldn't do it but I leave that up to them to decide. I don't think that a causal drink has any effect on my mental ability to determine if I can use deadly force or not. If we are going to go that far, then I am sure there are people that shouldn't be carrying at all because they simply don't have good sense to start with.

I am not advocating being drunk while carrying, since that is clearly against the law and not a good idea, refer to thread where cop was shot in another jurisdiction for being drunk and a fool.

This has been covered many times on here, and there are many different views. It really boils down to the law in your state and your personal abilities. Just because you choose to do or not to do something does not mean that everyone should follow in your footsteps.

Oh, BTW, at home I probably go over the BAC limit and still have my gun on, there ain't no law against that one, and if someone breaks into my home it really ain't going to matter here in Texas if I am legally drunk or not. The broke window or kicked in door is justification enough for me and the law.
    Very well said! Echoes my sentiments and experience. Don't break the law. Be safe. Be prepared.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    My personal view is that if you consume a drop of alcohol when carrying you should have the right revoked immediately. Even if you just have one drink and are totally sober, if you have to use your firearm you're going to run into real problems. That, in turn, will move beyond just being a problem for you and turn into a blackeye for everyone that carries a gun for self defense.
    I think anyone who makes a silly statement should have their right to carry revoked, because their judgement is obviously impaired.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I can see both sides but it really truly is a moral issue/personal preference issue. I'm not going to try and impose my morals on anyone else and I don't want anyone pushing their morals/views on me.

I have never mixed alcohol and firearms 1. Because its illegal to CC in alcohol serving establishments here (and im not OC-ing in a bar full of drunk people) 2. I don't think its wise, personally. Not from a "i might do somethign stupid" standpoint but from a "im might not be aware enough to keep someone else from doing something stupid" standpoint. 3. I don't drink all that often so its really not a big deal for me.

However, imho I don; think its the gov'ts place to legislate and control such things.

I used to drink socially, nothing more. As I grew older I just stopped altogether.

However, I frequently eat at places that do serve alcohol. According to state law in FL it's okay to carry into an establishment that serves as long as you don't sit AT the bar and as long as the bar is not the primary revenue stream for the business. The difference? A Tavern relies on alcohol sales with some food. A restaurant relies on food with some alcohol sales. So I often eat at TGI Fridays and sit in the restaurant portion. Same goes for other such establishments. I prefer Iced tea, usually with a flavor like Peach or Raspberry.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Michigan has the 51% law, but I haven't ever seen one of those "signs" that people talk about.

How much legal weight do those signs have if they aren't posted? Do you really have to inquire to EVERY place that serves alcohol?

Obviously there are some places where you just know, but there are some that you may think are borderline.
    OD G19 || G26 || OD KT P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Dead horse or no, it is still an interesting subject.

LEOs may be required to carry in some places. However, I have yet to meet a LEO that must carry at any time they are not on duty. And we all know that drinking while on duty is a no-no.

As far as carrying, you should be able to carry anywhere you go. Just don't drink while you're there!
    There are some departments that do have a requirement for their officers to carry at all times. And there are circumstances where LEOs will drink on duty, mainly in an undercover status. Should undercover work be eliminated because the officers might have to drink while working? Or trust the undercover officers to know their limits and act accordingly? I agree drinking while on duty in uniform is a no-no.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member
    In NE the statue has "0" allowance for alcohol. While I do not agree with it, I follow it. If I have a drink with a meal I don't think it would change my decision making process as when to use my CCW. If all of you that have the "0" tolerance of alcohol were on a drug prescribed by a doctor would you not carry while taking your medication??? Some meds probably affect you about the same as drinking 1 beer, so now do you give up your right to self defence???

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

you drove to the bar / pub does that mean your going to get hammered and try to drive home? If your going to drink leave it at home if you go there for the band and a bite to eat I see no harm in it.

In Maine, it's illegal to drink and carry. If you are caught, you will loose your right to carry. Period. Bars are off limits. Restaurants that serve are not.
    Aside from that, I feel that if you are going to carry, you should not drink. If you are going to carry, you shouldn't drink. You decide which one is more important. For me, if I'm going out to supper I'm at least with my better half and usually with my kids as well. My primary responsiblity is their protection and safety. I'm not going to put them in jeapordy because I want a drink. I'll wait until I get home.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I carry whenever I go into a restaurant that sells alcohol, not a bar ie 51% signage here in Texas, and I often drink when I am carrying.

What is the big deal really? Some people shouldn't do it but I leave that up to them to decide. I don't think that a causal drink has any effect on my mental ability to determine if I can use deadly force or not. If we are going to go that far, then I am sure there are people that shouldn't be carrying at all because they simply don't have good sense to start with.

I am not advocating being drunk while carrying, since that is clearly against the law and not a good idea, refer to thread where cop was shot in another jurisdiction for being drunk and a fool.

This has been covered many times on here, and there are many different views. It really boils down to the law in your state and your personal abilities. Just because you choose to do or not to do something does not mean that everyone should follow in your footsteps.

Oh, BTW, at home I probably go over the BAC limit and still have my gun on, there ain't no law against that one, and if someone breaks into my home it really ain't going to matter here in Texas if I am legally drunk or not. The broke window or kicked in door is justification enough for me and the law.
    Actually I believe I did read a law here in Texas that states you cannot be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm. Possession of a firearm constitutes a firearm within reach without actually moving from where you are, from what I heard. That means if you have the gun five feet away, it's not in your possession but if you lean over to pick it up, it is (instructor called this the one cheek rule because someone asked about what 'possession' meant when it comes to driving in your car and now car and house is considered your 'domain', hence the castle law). It had to have been in the CHL Laws book and it did not say anything about it being OK in your own home. If you really need me to look it up and post the statute, I'll look for it but I remember it clear as day because my CHL Instructor told us while carrying you can't drink even ONE DROP, which was a lie. He lied about a few other things too so I looked up a lot of stuff and this was one of the things I found...
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links