Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; in Maine we are allowed to drink and carry up to the legal limit of .08 i believe. now i don't really think it is ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant

in Maine we are allowed to drink and carry up to the legal limit of .08 i believe. now i don't really think it is a good idea i personly never drink any more then a social beer thats it. it is also legal to carry into an establishment that serves alchohol unless of course they post a "no firearms" sign

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Like the OP I am in Nevada. It is legal to carry and drink in establishments that serve adult beverages here. I often have a drink and or a glass of wine when out to dinner. I carry. I have not shot anyone so far.
    In Nevada, if you are in a bar and you shoot someone what makes it a good shoot is not if you had a drink, but was it a good shoot.
    EXACTLY You are responsible for your actions drunk, impaired or sober. I could care less if anyone is falling down drunk while carrying a gun. I only care if they engage in an criminal act. That said anyone involved in a bad shoot with a blood alcohol above the states legal driving limit should get bonus points at sentencing. Personally I rarely drink so it is a non issue except due to moron laws I can't go shoot pool with my buds
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

If you carry,don't drink.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Lets see, this evening I was drinking a 24 oz beer when my wife says out of the blue, lets go for a walk......great Idea.

I put the 24 oz beer in the freezer put my fanny pack on with my 9mm in it and we went for a walk.

Some folks think that if you drink at all you should not think that you should be able to defend yourself.......I disagree.
    By nature I'm a control freak.
    I don't drink to the point that I can not defend myself or communicate well.

If it ever came to the point where I had to draw, someone else was definetly in the wrong, whether I've had a few or not.......................My peers are either going to be realists or rhetoricists.........50/50 chance.

They are arguing about that in Kansas. The reason, who knows ??? It is legal in Kansas... they made it that way so a CC wasn't inadvertantly arrested & charged with a crime, when it was un-intentional to violate the law.

Here... 51% sales in alcohol = bar, but 51% in food & 49% in alcohol = restaurant. How are we supposed to know without checking their books ? So, they said if they didn't want guns in there, they should post an approved "no CC" sign. However, the anti's want to turn it into a real debate and argue it.....about drinking while carrying, etc.... but, you can drink and carry as long as you aren't in a bar doing it ??

There have been NO incidents involving a licensed CCH in a bar ..... so why are we having this debate... when nothing has ever happened ???

I don't drink, so if I go into a place.... to eat , that serves alcohol too..... so what ?? Or, I go with friends into a bar who do drink .... so ?

Well I don't drink at all unless I'm at home, irrespective of whether I'm armed. But I certainly don't disarm at home to pour myself a beer or three.

If a person can drink in public without involving their gun in a situation, then fine. I don't believe in incriminating people based on what may happen if a, b, and c are allowed. That's the mentality of the antis. Punish the offender severely when they screw up with their legally carried gun. But don't hold everyone hostage with prohibitions for the probable stupidity of a few. That's why we can't carry now in all the places that we should be able. Like bars and church. Because some dumb nut decided that all manners of mayhem would instantaneously break out if its allowed.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

To quote a much wiser individual: " A man's got to know his limitations"

I agree that one should be able to enjoy an adult beverage. When I'm out with my wife or family, my reasons to protect them don't mysteriously vanish in the presence of alcohol. I usually have 1 beer with my meal when we are at dinner. I don't sit at the bar, and I don't order drink after drink. And I keep it to beer....no whiskey etc...it stays on your breath all night. If I want to go out on a "****-up", I'll leave it at home. And one poster mentioned leaving it in the car while going in and drinking....I don't think thats a good idea - once you get back in the car, its "on you" no matter where in the car if its loaded, and you might as well have taken it in with you if you come out impaired.
    Here in MI, along with the 51% rule, I believe the BAC limit is .02 for carrying. Pretty much a shot of Nyquil will put you over. So I make sure to keep it light. Non alcoholic beers are a great thing (if my college self could hear me now....)

Administrator

Talking

Actually and just for the sake of argument and to add some perspective to this thread.
    It IS possible to make the very valid argument that NOT consuming alcohol while being armed and also before fighting is a fairly recent development.
    Historically and throughout our entire recorded human history Alcohol was consumed while humans were armed and usually always before going into battle or dangerous situations.

We have The Wild West - The Pirates on Pirate Ships - Sailors getting their daily Measure Of Ale - WWI & WWII and Nam - The African tribes - The Romans - The Egyptians - MANY other Ancient cultures - Native Americans - The gangsters - The Hatfield's & The McCoys - & Where would The Civil War have been without that precious Whiskey...to be used for medicinal purposes ONLY? and that "stiff one" before going out with the Dueling Pistols.

Just thought I would add this.

I can carry in bars, restaurants that serve demon rum and other places with only one restriction: If I'm going to consume alcohol, I cannot be armed.

It's a good thing I like Coke with a wedge of lemon.

Biker

If impaired is impaired... I wonder if diabetics shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun... If their blood sugar drops, they can get real goofy in a matter of moments and are not able to make judgment calls. And often times it hits them without warning.

Kind of similar to alcohol impairment. Heck, lots of police departments are paying out big settlements because one of their officers put a diabetic in jail thinking he was just drunk and they find them dead in a cell a few hours later.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but personally don't you think people should be accountable for their actions?

If you're a diabetic and you shoot someone that wasn't "justified" while you have a blood sugar of 25, you're gonna have to take responsibility for the impairment. Medical condition or not.

Same thing if you have a "bad shoot" and you have a blood alcohol content above that states legal limit.

Now if you end up being in the right.... meet the reasonable man standard of being righteously in fear of death or crippling injury... you shoot the right person (BG), stop the crime and save your life... Why should you be thrown in jail or lose your permit?

I don't think you ever be required to give up your god given right to defend yourself against lethal assault.

BTW... Guns and alcohol don't mix! You should avoid drinking while carrying.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

ccw in NC resturant where alcohol is served ( got arrested)

I was working out of town last week. Went out to eat, I don't drink so I didn't think about alcohol being at the steakhouse. Off duty detective was private security. Noticed my weapon was printing and had 6 officers come arrested me. The other officers tried to get him to just have me put it in the car as did the manager of the resturant. Instead he cuffed me, shackeled me to the wall at the jail the hole 9 yards. What are my chances of getting my weapon and ccw back? Never been in any trouble ccw for 7+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by joelikesguns View Post
    I was working out of town last week. Went out to eat, I don't drink so I didn't think about alcohol being at the steakhouse. Off duty detective was private security. Noticed my weapon was printing and had 6 officers come arrested me. The other officers tried to get him to just have me put it in the car as did the manager of the resturant. Instead he cuffed me, shackeled me to the wall at the jail the hole 9 yards. What are my chances of getting my weapon and ccw back? Never been in any trouble ccw for 7+ years.
    Wow, I don't know. Here in Florida I can go out to eat at a restaurant that serves alcohol in a separate area as long as I stay in the restaurant area and don't approach the BAR. I don't drink, anyway, but I'd hate to retire someplace like NC which we're considering and get zapped by such a stupid law, if indeed that IS the law and the cop wasn't just overreaching on what he THOUGHT was the law as sometimes happens. So that'd be my first advice to you, see if in fact that is exactly what the legal situation IS in your state. BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
    Last edited by ExSoldier; March 21st, 2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Add welcome note!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

NRA-ILA :: North Carolina: Right-to-Carry in restaurants proposed in House

Quick search and this is the first on topic result. Check the date. As of 8MAR11 we (North Carolinians) are trying to get restaurant carry passed, but it is not yet. IANAL. I personally have no issue with what you did, but I am not in charge of anything, but my kids and people are trying to take that away as well...........
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I agree that this is been beat to death god knows how many times on threads and replies. All I would say is that a lot of people are just as dead from drunk drivers as they would be from firearms. If .08 is good for driving, it should be just as good for CC. This whole argument is baloney. Dead is dead when a drunk drives or whether he is CC. This has more to do with some form of creepy PC than it does with the facts even if you normalize the numbers based on #of cars vs # of CCers.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I agree that this is been beat to death god knows how many times on threads and replies. All I would say is that a lot of people are just as dead from drunk drivers as they would be from firearms. If .08 is good for driving, it should be just as good for CC. This whole argument is baloney. Dead is dead when a drunk drives or whether he is CC. This has more to do with some form of creepy PC than it does with the facts even if you normalize the numbers based on #of cars vs # of CCers.
    Gotta check the last few posts. I think the OP that brought up a dead thread was being polite by not starting his own. The real OP post #1 is from 2008.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links