Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Moral/Common Sense issue - not sure. I know there are states that make it illegal to carry in a bar or establishment that serves alcohol. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant

Carrying in a Bar/Pub/Resturant

Moral/Common Sense issue - not sure. I know there are states that make it illegal to carry in a bar or establishment that serves alcohol. That's not the case here. Those who i have spoken to out here who carry and go to bars/pubs, etc. say that having a firearm keeps them responsible and sober. there are others who say that alcohol and guns don't mix (which i understand 100%).

Where do you stand on this?

I carry wherever i go (aside from govt. places). I rarely ever drink, but like a Corona once in a blue moon. 99.9% of the time i am with my wife in a restaurant and i don't drink period.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My personal view is that if you consume a drop of alcohol when carrying you should have the right revoked immediately. Even if you just have one drink and are totally sober, if you have to use your firearm you're going to run into real problems. That, in turn, will move beyond just being a problem for you and turn into a blackeye for everyone that carries a gun for self defense.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

good point!
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    uh, dead horse and a trip to the movies?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Why would "carrying" in a bar or establishment that serves alcohol be a problem? The operative word is of course "carry". I did not say drink. Being in an establishment like that does not cause me to drink. Just as carrying a gun does not cause me to kill people. In MN it is not illegal and I have done it on many occasions with no adverse results. Carry in a bar that is, not drink and carry.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Slippery slope here. Where does this put people who are required to carry by law (some LE)? Does that mean they are forever forbidden from drinking anywhere but at their home? I don't think that a beer or three inhibits someone's ability from making a decision like when to shoot, but they would have some problems when the cops came driving up.

That being said, I leave mine in the car if I'm going to drink, but I don't leave it at home. If ya need it, ya need it. Leaving it in the car, while leaving you vulnerable for a bit, will greatly reduce the likelihood of a bad LEO encounter without an actual shooting happening.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    uh, dead horse and a trip to the movies?
    Yeah, dead horse because we've beat this topic to death around here.

We need the popcorn and Pepsi so we can endure it again.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Yeah, dead horse because we've beat this topic to death around here.

We need the popcorn and Pepsi so we can endure it again.
    How 'bout a coke and smile?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    Dead horse or no, it is still an interesting subject.

LEOs may be required to carry in some places. However, I have yet to meet a LEO that must carry at any time they are not on duty. And we all know that drinking while on duty is a no-no. And short answer, if you can't leave home without a firearm then you should only drink at home. I'm not bound by any laws, but that is my decision anyway so I can't really feel bad if other people have to do it as well.

As far as carrying, you should be able to carry anywhere you go. Just don't drink while you're there!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I carry whenever I go into a restaurant that sells alcohol, not a bar ie 51% signage here in Texas, and I often drink when I am carrying.

What is the big deal really? Some people shouldn't do it but I leave that up to them to decide. I don't think that a causal drink has any effect on my mental ability to determine if I can use deadly force or not. If we are going to go that far, then I am sure there are people that shouldn't be carrying at all because they simply don't have good sense to start with.

I am not advocating being drunk while carrying, since that is clearly against the law and not a good idea, refer to thread where cop was shot in another jurisdiction for being drunk and a fool.

This has been covered many times on here, and there are many different views. It really boils down to the law in your state and your personal abilities. Just because you choose to do or not to do something does not mean that everyone should follow in your footsteps.

Oh, BTW, at home I probably go over the BAC limit and still have my gun on, there ain't no law against that one, and if someone breaks into my home it really ain't going to matter here in Texas if I am legally drunk or not. The broke window or kicked in door is justification enough for me and the law.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hey 762,

Last time I checked Nevada Revised Statute, I read that when you are carrying a firearm your Blood Alcohol Level has to be below .1. Pretty surprising huh? I do not drink alcohol and carry at all, because if you are involved in a shooting, witnesses will be questioned and exaggerate, "He was drinking Guinness all night", when in fact you might have just had one, and that could sway investigator's opinions on the shooting.

As far as going into a bar while carrying, I do it. I'm also as meek as a mouse while in said bar carrying. If am involved in a shooting, I don't want witnesses to recall me yelling at other patrons and arm-wrestling blokes, because yet again that could sway investigator's opinions on the shooting

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    Hey 762,

Last time I checked Nevada Revised Statute, I read that when you are carrying a firearm your Blood Alcohol Level has to be below .1. Pretty surprising huh? I do not drink alcohol and carry at all, because if you are involved in a shooting, witnesses will be questioned and exaggerate, "He was drinking Guinness all night", when in fact you might have just had one, and that could sway investigator's opinions on the shooting.

As far as going into a bar while carrying, I do it. I'm also as meek as a mouse while in said bar carrying. If am involved in a shooting, I don't want witnesses to recall me yelling at other patrons and arm-wrestling blokes, because yet again that could sway investigator's opinions on the shooting

Nick
    mine never gets above .05 probably. i'll just have one, not 2, 3, 4, 5...and then a soda after that.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    My personal view is that if you consume a drop of alcohol when carrying you should have the right revoked immediately. Even if you just have one drink and are totally sober, if you have to use your firearm you're going to run into real problems. That, in turn, will move beyond just being a problem for you and turn into a blackeye for everyone that carries a gun for self defense.

Sorry, I vehemently disagree.

Let me start by agreeing that guns and alcohol do not mix! Anyone who hunts, target shoots, or just plain messes around with guns while drinking is an idiot and should be beaten with a large stick.

Now that we have that out of the way..... I carry a gun to protect myself and those that I love. The fact that I choose to have a cold beer with my pizza, or a glass of wine with my steak, does not mean that I'm any less concerned about my ability to protect myself or my family, nor does it mean that I'm at any less risk of being attacked and having to defend myself. I carry all the time, because I don't know when I may need to be armed. I accept the responsibility that comes with my decision to carry and while I'll limit my alcohol intake when I'm carrying, just as I do when driving, I'm sure as heck not going to disarm to have a beer with dinner. Doing that would be irresponsible IMHO.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that FL statute does not prohibit ccw while intoxicated. It prohibits having a loaded firearm in hand or firing it while under the influence.......unless it is done so in self-defense. That pretty much sums up the right attitude IMHO.

Drinking or not......DON"T TOUCH IT unless you need it. But if you do need it, it won't do you any good at all in the safe at home.....whether you're drinking beer or water.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

My opinoin is don't drink and carry.

If I have to draw a weapon i want my head to be crystal clear(as much as that is possible anyway).
    “ If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?” - Patrick Henry

I dont mean to sound selfish, but stop what you're doing and focus on me. - Janitor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links