How many guns ?

This is a discussion on How many guns ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MattLarson You are always subject to the rules of the jurisdiction you are physically in when carrying under an out of state ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many guns ?

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    You are always subject to the rules of the jurisdiction you are physically in when carrying under an out of state license with reciprocity.

Matt
    That's true generally, and probably in this specific case.
    I just wondered if it might fall in a 'grey' area.

An example...
    Texas, IIRC, requires a specific type of instruction to qualify, and I think even has some restrictions based on the type of handgun you use to qualify.
    Florida only requires proof of competency/experience/training...a basic class, military experience, etc.

But to carry in Texas with my Florida permit I'm not required to meet those Texas-particular conditions.

Just pondering...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You don't have to meet the issuance requirements in the state you are visiting , but you have to meet the carrying requirements (i.e. off limits places, etc.)

For example, our Florida licenses allow us to carry chemical / electrical / impact weapons concealed as well. The law in Georgia or Texas might only allow for a gun, not an ASP baton or Taser.

Matt

Yeah, that makes sense...
    My mind was just wandering...

No limit in TX AFAIK.

I wasn't thinking of Rambo types, but of the mid 70's Western where James Garner was an ex-gunfighter/gambler who had guns absolutely everywhere. (Wallet, hat, sleeves, boot, etc.) Think it was called Maverick.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    There's no restriction in Florida.The permit is for the person, not the weapon(s).

As someone already mentioned, here in TX there is no specified limit as to the number of guns you can carry, but you can be limited as to the TYPE of pistol you're allowed to use. If you qualified with a semi-auto, you can carry anything the law allows. However, if you qualified for your CC permit with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. Don't know why, but I suppose it has to do with a semi being more complicated to operate than a revolver. They want to make sure you know how to use it before you carrying one. The permit specifies if you can carry an auto or revolver only. Most instructors recommend using a simi-auto (it must be larger than .32 FYI) pistol to get the permit, then carry whatever you want.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Here in North Carolina I can conceal as many PISTOLS as I want, I think that basically means that any thing that can be shot one-handed.

The sad thing is that I can conceal as many pistols as I can carry, but I am not allowed to conceal a fixed blade knife of any length, even with a blade as short at 1". This just doesn't make sense to me.

Lead Moderator
    any states out htere that do restrict the carry to 1 gun only? or only 1 gun at a time?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911
    Here in North Carolina I can conceal as many PISTOLS as I want, I think that basically means that any thing that can be shot one-handed.

The sad thing is that I can conceal as many pistols as I can carry, but I am not allowed to conceal a fixed blade knife of any length, even with a blade as short at 1". This just doesn't make sense to me.
    Come on down to Florida, where our licenses allow for handguns, chemical sprays, electronic weapons, and impact weapons like the ASP baton.

:D

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    Come on down to Florida, where our licenses allow for handguns, chemical sprays, electronic weapons, and impact weapons like the ASP baton.

:D

Matt
    Yes Missouri too. The highly compitent group that went after CCW in Missouri that hired lobbiest and lawyers also used alot of the same law's and guidelines as Florida has to write the actual CCW law's here in Missouri.

Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    No limit in TX AFAIK.

I wasn't thinking of Rambo types, but of the mid 70's Western where James Garner was an ex-gunfighter/gambler who had guns absolutely everywhere. (Wallet, hat, sleeves, boot, etc.) Think it was called Maverick.
    I was thinking of the scene in one of the Police Academy movies in which Tackleberry (the gun-loving recruit) gets the big blond PT instructor into bed. The lights are out, but you can hear, as they undress each other, gun after gun after gun being dropped on the floor.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    I was thinking of the scene in one of the Police Academy movies in which Tackleberry (the gun-loving recruit) gets the big blond PT instructor into bed. The lights are out, but you can hear, as they undress each other, gun after gun after gun being dropped on the floor.
    I remember that. Funny.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Moderator
    I was thinking more of the 21-something who has seen The Matrix one too many times - trench coat with 10+ guns under it.....

Matt

Carry Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
    That's true generally, and probably in this specific case.
    I just wondered if it might fall in a 'grey' area.

An example...
    Texas, IIRC, requires a specific type of instruction to qualify, and I think even has some restrictions based on the type of handgun you use to qualify.
    Florida only requires proof of competency/experience/training...a basic class, military experience, etc.

But to carry in Texas with my Florida permit I'm not required to meet those Texas-particular conditions.

Just pondering...
    Texas and Florida have established reciprocity. I believe you are correct in your assessment of the Texas statutes.

Additionally, in Texas one qualifies for a TX CHL with either a revolver or a SA. I you qualify with a revolver, you are not allowed to concealed carry a SA. If however, you qualify with a SA, you CAN concealed carry with a revolver.

Additionally, in Texas there is no limits on the number of handguns which may be carried concealed, as long as they meet your specific CHL license (e.g. revolver or SA).

As noted somewhere on the "Packing.org" website, the Texas law allows multiple carrys even though the title of the enabling statute is "Concealed Handgun Act" (i.e. even though it specifies the singular, it has been defined to mean multiple handguns).

Note that in Texas, you must carry your CHL, as well as inform an LEO if "contact" by an LEO is made. You might want to look at the Packing.org site and use their "License Tools" for further information.

Good luck!

Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    As many as I want.Maine has no restrictions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links