Virginia CHP Question--moving within the state

This is a discussion on Virginia CHP Question--moving within the state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my permit from Montgomery County, Virginia as I had residence there. Since then I have moved to a new locale within the state ...

Thread: Virginia CHP Question--moving within the state

Virginia CHP Question--moving within the state

I got my permit from Montgomery County, Virginia as I had residence there. Since then I have moved to a new locale within the state of Virginia; Chesterfield County.

Do I have to get a new permit? Have the address on it changed?

My permit doesn't expire until 2012, so I really don't want to have to go through the process again or pay any more $$ than I have to. However, my CHP is from Montgomery County Circuit Court and the address on it is my old address. I feel like this could be an issue with an anal retentive cop/or commonwealth's attorney.

2. Remove Ads

Permit is still valid.

From VSP's website...
    The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
    Yes, but you may request a replacement permit if you wish. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The only real disadvantage is that some gun shops will not accept the CHP as a second form of ID when purchasing a new handgun because it doesn't have the current address.

Sweet thanks for the advice. MC wouldn't mail me my permit when I initially got it because they needed to see me with a valid id before they gave it to me. I wonder if I will have to make a trip out that way to get it taken care of. I'll give them a call tomorrow. It'd give me a good excuse to go hangout/visit with my college buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    The only real disadvantage is that some gun shops will not accept the CHP as a second form of ID when purchasing a new handgun because it doesn't have the current address.
    If something does not have your current address on it you should never try to use it as an ID. Rather than as a 2nd form of ID think if you were a merchant and someone tried to cash a check and gave two ID's with different addresses. Which would you think is the correct one? I wouldn't accept either one then. Always best to have everything matching to avoid confusion unless you are trying to hide something.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    If something does not have your current address on it you should never try to use it as an ID. Rather than as a 2nd form of ID think if you were a merchant and someone tried to cash a check and gave two ID's with different addresses. Which would you think is the correct one? I wouldn't accept either one then. Always best to have everything matching to avoid confusion unless you are trying to hide something.
    Not always true...

I live in VA with an IL drivers license...and my CHP has an old address...with PCS orders, I never had a problem purchasing firearms.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Further, with the old address, one doesn't have to deal with the repercussions of the next anti newspaper that decides to make a easily searchable by address database of CCW holders as was done not too long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
    Further, with the old address, one doesn't have to deal with the repercussions of the next anti newspaper that decides to make a easily searchable by address database of CCW holders as was done not too long ago
    In SC we no longer have to worry abou that.

Links