Are we talking about the same Tacoma Mall?

This is a discussion on Are we talking about the same Tacoma Mall? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just came across this thread on warriortalk.com that discusses the CCWer firing and having his gun jam due to lack of maintenance. Could this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we talking about the same Tacoma Mall?

Are we talking about the same Tacoma Mall?

I just came across this thread on warriortalk.com that discusses the CCWer firing and having his gun jam due to lack of maintenance. Could this be the "other" shooter mentioned at the end of the article linked to the thread here?

If both threads are talking about the same guy, while the discussion points of everyone here are valid based on the info available, it does raise some serious questions.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    link doesn't work.

yep same one.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Why are we getting two radically different accounts? The one we've been discussing said that the CCWer didn't take the shot, and the story from Fahrnam says his gun jammed and that he was the only one shot up so badly (indicating that it is referring to the same CCWer, not the "other" possible CCWer)
    Basic Pistol

Farnam's report is correct. Friend talked to one of the first officers on the scene and the story is the same.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Hmmmm. So what does that do the victim's story that he just couldn't shoot the kid in the head?
    Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    Hmmmm. So what does that do the victim's story that he just couldn't shoot the kid in the head?
    I guess that totally supports it, he couldn't!
    Re, my original post, I'm not sure which scenario bothers me more, someone who goes the distance for CCW and "can't" when it's needed, or someone who would take such poor care of themselves (their tools)!

Something isn't jiving here. All of the articles I have read say he did not shoot, then again I did hear that he did and his CZ Jammed. I don't think they know what happened. He definitly could have handled things differently. That guy should have been the one down, instead of the CCW holder.
    Montana Big Sky Country

Assistant Administrator
    I am still a tad confused - but heck if the gun failed why was he not still holding a cover position - not to mention this maybe highlighting the use/need of a BUG.

I still need a definitive explanation of the whole deal... if such is available. The link was no good to me cos you need to register.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    the gun jamming could be an excuse presented up by the CCW holder. In panic maybe he didn't release the safety or just thought he pulled the trigger. Panic and adrenaline can cause errors. (all this is just guessing) Hopefully we can get the right story and learn for mistakes made.

Gents,

We will be getting more and more info in the coming months I expect. We got into a very "spirited" discussion on what a CCW person should do in such cases. We got a variety of discussion points, with all making good sense.

I wrote an article on The ACtive Shooter Response for CCW in our student newsletter, and I include the link here for you to look at.

http://suarezinternational.com/ezine...s-dec2005.html

Now the gent in Tacoma - we are not sure what he tried to do. But we must learn from this. Recently I taught a class in Texas and one of the students was a friend of the man who faced the rifle armed bad guy outside the courthouse in a city (can't remember the city..sorry) in that state. The bad guy killed the good guy in that one.

My student told me that the biggest lesson he'd learned from his brave friend was that onvce you begin shooting you do not stop until the adversary is down and no longer a threat. Apparently his friend only fired a couple of shots against the armored BG and was in turn shot when he stopped shooting.

In the Tacoma case the wounded good guy either fired and missed and was unable to fire again, or did not have the mental decission made to kill. In either case there are lessions to be learned here from making sure your gear works to mind set stuff.

I think it was Napoleon who said, "A wise man learns from the mistakes of others, rather than from his own mistakes".

Gabe Suarez
    Suarez International
    http://www.suarezinternational.com

Hi Gabe,
    True, you never stop fighting.
    But in the Tyler Tx situtation, I think another thing can be learned. In this case, a headshot is required. Perhaps a second thing too never bring a pistol to a rifle fight. This is the lesson from the North Hollywood BoA shootout.
    I don't think a .45 could have done much damage to a person with a flak vest plus Level II armor
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

According to a mod at this site (12th post down on page 1) claims to have talked first-hand to a cop who said the rusty CZ was the shooters, not the CCW's.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=10169

I think the CCW citizen has also admitted he could have shot the shooter in the back, but either verbally challenged him, or hesitated or both (and obviously paid dearly for that mistake).

That IMO is one of the worst things Hollywood does... aside from the "shoot him in the leg" crap, they make it seem unfair or immoral to shoot someone in the back when real life simply does not work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    Hi Gabe,
    I don't think a .45 could have done much damage to a person with a flak vest plus Level II armor
    That all depends on where you shoot 'em.

The officers were doing what they were trained to do - shoot COM, but after rocking those perps a few times and not stopping them, I'd start shooting for the ol' brain-bucket.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Update on Tacoma Mall Shooting Suspect.
    Seems he didn't intend to hurt anyone:
    (From the Seattle Times, Dec 9)
    One assault charge was upgraded to attempted murder based on a statement from the most seriously injured victim, Dan McKown, who was shot and partially paralyzed. McKown said Maldonado committed a "very cold-blooded attack," according to court papers.

That comment and other information from McKown could help justify the attempted-murder charge by showing Maldonado arrived at the mall with killing on his mind, prosecutors said.

However, Maldonado's defense attorney said his client never meant to hurt anyone.

"He didn't go to the mall to shoot anybody. He didn't go to the mall to rob a bank. He didn't go there to take hostages. He went there ostensibly to make a statement," Sverre Staurset said.

In addition to firing an assault rifle and a machine pistol, wounding seven people, Maldonado is accused of taking several people hostage and holding them for hours before surrendering to police.
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links