Crazy Guy w/CCW

This is a discussion on Crazy Guy w/CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A guy that I work with regularly talks to me about getting his CCW permit. Because I know this guy well, I also know that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61

Thread: Crazy Guy w/CCW

  1. #1
    Member Array KSJustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Armpit of the World
    Posts
    29

    Question Crazy Guy w/CCW

    A guy that I work with regularly talks to me about getting his CCW permit. Because I know this guy well, I also know that he is not mentally stable and is the LAST person that I would want carrying a loaded weapon. I am all about 2nd Amendment rights but what would you do if someone you knew like this was going to get their CCW permit and didn't have any disqualifying factors on the books? Thanks for the advice.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,858
    If I knew he had stretches that he was suicidal or threatened others, call the cops. If he gets committed that would greatly restrict his ability to purchase firearms and should keep him from getting a CCW.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

    Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array ctr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Posts
    2,331
    Do nothing. Unless he has a history of institutional care or is under the care of a mental health professional, he has done nothing that would disqualifiy him.

    Last in the door syndrome - if everyone whom someone else thought should not have a gun were denied a gun, none of us would have guns.

  5. #4
    Member Array seedoubleyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    135
    That's a tough situation. Unless you're a psychiatrist.... If it's just an opinion, I would think there's nothing you can do except watch this guy at all times. But if he's actually made threats or done something or been diagnosed as unstable, that's different.
    Nobody wants an unstable person with a gun, of course. But what if some anti decided to say you were unstable, just to keep you from your right to carry..... Unless there is something more than your opinion, I doubt there's anything you can do.
    CW

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array NCHornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt Airy, NC
    Posts
    2,156
    I agree you have no right to interfere here. Lots of people talk stupid but are totally harmless. If the truth be known all of us could be considered "crazy", or "strange" depending on the shrink you speak to. I say do nothing but try and call him out when he makes stupid comments and see if he really means what he says. Maybe go shooting with him, maybe the idiot just needs a mentor of such? I don't know but trying to keep him from getting his permit because he talks stupid isn't right!!

    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

  7. #6
    Member Array KSJustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Armpit of the World
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    If I knew he had stretches that he was suicidal or threatened others, call the cops.
    The guy doesn't have anything on record as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Last in the door syndrome - if everyone whom someone else thought should not have a gun were denied a gun, none of us would have guns.
    I agree totally, and I am hesitant to even ask because I support everyone's right to defend themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I say do nothing but try and call him out when he makes stupid comments and see if he really means what he says. Maybe go shooting with him, maybe the idiot just needs a mentor of such? I don't know but trying to keep him from getting his permit because he talks stupid isn't right!!
    NCH
    I'm not trying to keep anyone from trying to get their permit, just the opposite. I regularly stand up for gun owners and encourage the shooting sports and CCW with facts instead of opinions. Believe me when I say that this is just one of those guys that scares me because of his ideas and opinions and I think that we would end up seeing him on the news. He has not broken the law as far as I know and I'm just wondering if it is my place to say anything and if so would I even have a case? I just know I would feel terrible if I just let it go and somebody got hurt. Thank you all for your advice, this has been bothering me for a while.

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    I had a friend that I felt the same way about. He had a bad temper and felt he was just wanting a permit to " be cool ". I talked to him about how serious it was and the consequences of pulling a gun on someone that wasn't warrented. He got his permit.
    I didn't try to talk him out of it, I just wanted to give him some food for thought.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array lance22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,031
    Lots of talkers ... and few of them do what they claim they have done or will do ... they just talk. I wouldn't worry, this guy probably will never take the time or lay down the money.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,155
    Frankly it's none of your business.
    It's between your friend and the State.

    AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

  11. #10
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,868
    Your version of "crazy" and the Sheriff or LEO that signs off the permit are probably two different things.

    We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. If he has no record of wrongdoings, technically he is innocent and able to get a permit.

    Sure, its possible he could whack out later on, be that is something that anyone is capable of if they reach their breaking point.

    Lucky for us all, it doesnt really happen much.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    If he's that stupid or crazy he won't have a permit very long,sometimes it's easier to get them than keep them,and if he's onea them guys that after he gets it goes around showing it off it he may end up doing something stupid and getting it revoked
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  13. #12
    Member Array calmp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by KSJustice View Post
    A guy that I work with regularly talks to me about getting his CCW permit. Because I know this guy well, I also know that he is not mentally stable and is the LAST person that I would want carrying a loaded weapon. I am all about 2nd Amendment rights but what would you do if someone you knew like this was going to get their CCW permit and didn't have any disqualifying factors on the books? Thanks for the advice.
    What does your state require in terms of CCW issuance? Is there training required? The instructor might figure it out, but you never know.

    You might have to inform the issuing authority. Get it on record that you question that he is fit to carry firearms.

    How well do you know this guy? Have you known him a long time? If you haven't, it's quite possible that his past is documented somehow. If he's out there like you say, it's possible that his instability has manifested somehow at some point in his life.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

    - Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,266
    I don't mean this in a harsh way at all... I think it would be best to mind your own business.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post

    You might have to inform the issuing authority. Get it on record that you question that he is fit to carry firearms.
    e.
    On what authority or professional basis should his opinion be taken?

    If he has no record or professional diagnosis of instability, it' not your business to make that call. We all know someone like that and for all we know they may be a ccw holder. Fortunately the judgments of others who don't agree with our different personalities do not count unless unless it happens to 12 jurors.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,068
    Quote Originally Posted by KSJustice View Post
    A guy that I work with regularly talks to me about getting his CCW permit. Because I know this guy well, I also know that he is not mentally stable and is the LAST person that I would want carrying a loaded weapon. I am all about 2nd Amendment rights but what would you do if someone you knew like this was going to get their CCW permit and didn't have any disqualifying factors on the books? Thanks for the advice.
    I would be careful about throwing stones...because chances are someone out there has/will question your ability/mental stability/behavior when carrying a firearm.

    If he has not demonstrated any criminal behavior and has not been committed/diagnosed/treated for a mental condition and meets training requirements (if there are any in your locality), he gets a permit.

    Can you describe his mental instability? Because I bet the Brady people will think we are all unstable for keeping thousands, if not tens of thousands of ammunition at home; or owning more than one pistol, shotgun, or rifle...or <gasp!> carrying one for protection. It's a matter of perspective.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Crazy crazy pics!
    By ErikGr7 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
  2. .380 crazy!!!
    By ev239 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
  3. This seems crazy!
    By P95Carry in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
  4. This is something crazy, anyone tried it?
    By jarhead79 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
  5. This seems crazy!
    By P95Carry in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Search tags for this page

guy always talking about his ccw

,

people who own ccws are crazy

Click on a term to search for related topics.