LEO Encounter - Got a ticket this morning - Page 3

LEO Encounter - Got a ticket this morning

This is a discussion on LEO Encounter - Got a ticket this morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad to see you carrying a weapon, but I have to say you were really looking for and almost begging for a trip to the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LEO Encounter - Got a ticket this morning

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Glad to see you carrying a weapon, but I have to say you were really looking for and almost begging for a trip to the pokey. A purse is not considered a proper storage container when on a local trip, though a closed glove box would have been. You touching the weapon during the stop was an invitation for you viewing the business end of his weapon. Im my career nothing would cause me to go into hightened state of awareness and sense of protection than seeing someone fiddling around in their vehicle while I was checking out their information. (call this a lesson learned).

As far as getting the ticket....motor officers are not selected due to their willingness to give warnings, LOL. They're specifically selected and have a reputation for writing "hard copys" (ie tickets) versus a written or verbal warnings. I should know I was one, LOL. My mother used to joke that I'd write her a ticket (not likely as I still enjoy her cooking).

Please take this as a lesson learned and always put it in the glove box as soon as you get into the car so that its there and accessible if needed.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I knew I deserved the ticket. That wasn't the problem; just my grumpy morning attitude. The rest was ignorance -- which is one of the reasons why I spend so much time here....to learn.

I'm glad I learned the lesson, and glad it didn't come back and splat me in the face.

As far as glove box ---- I'm too short and my Taurus is too wide to put my gun in the glove box. I would never reach it in time if I needed it. That's why it goes in the well under the arm rest. It's hidden, out of the way, but available in a hurry. And I don't have little kids riding in the passenger seat.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

The last time I was pulled over, the deputy, after he saw my CHL, asked what I carried. From there on it turned into a debate on what the best calibers were for concealed carry, firearm brands and favorite ammo brands. After about 15 minutes, he told me to have a nice day and sent me on my way. I guess he was a gun guy who wanted to talk (or take a break).

I can only hope for that kind of camaraderie when my CHL finally comes through. But being a pudgy middle-aged woman with greying hair, I kinda doubt it.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Just curious gilraen...you said you have to wait till Oct for your CHL...do you have any formal training (not that it is required)?

Rick

gilraen, just a suggestion. There are companies that make lockable drawers that go under the front seats of vehicles which will keep you legal and open with a pop. Its a thin line between protecting yourself and ending up breaking the law and just from reading what you've written so far, I feel that your one of the good guys and would hate to hear that you crossed up and ended up wearing a pair of bracelets that arnt all that pretty (even my fur lined ones ... JOKING YA'AL). Be safe.

Stephen
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    I can only hope for that kind of camaraderie when my CHL finally comes through. But being a pudgy middle-aged woman with greying hair, I kinda doubt it.
    Now you never know. I think you will find that you will get the same reception (good or bad) as other CHL holders in Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Just curious gilraen...you said you have to wait till Oct for your CHL...do you have any formal training (not that it is required)?

Rick
    I took the 2-hour (1-on-1) intro to handguns class from a local range, took the CHL class itself (which wasn't worth much from the teacher I had), and have spent LOTS of time at indoor and outdoor ranges firing my Sig. I have also read Ayoob's books, and Paxton's books, and USSCA and Women & Guns magazines, and spend time on these boards.

But I haven't taken any IDPA, or any second level shooting classes yet. I *want* to. I know being comfortable firing on the range isn't going to cut the mustard if I really have to defend my life, or the lives of my children or grandson.

Partly it's because I've had a very busy summer (and never owned a gun until end of this March), and partly I have to get over my own reticence, especially in any IDPA. My Intro teacher told me I was a "natural", and that I should take a defensive handgun class, then looked me over and said "If you can....." He wasn't being mean, just -- realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    gilraen, just a suggestion. There are companies that make lockable drawers that go under the front seats of vehicles which will keep you legal and open with a pop. Its a thin line between protecting yourself and ending up breaking the law
    Well, I did get one slip-under-the-seat flat, locking box. It attaches to the seat -- um... struts? with a plastic-covered metal rope. (I'm lacking the words, here. Can you tell?) But it opens with a key. Good for longer term storage, but not quick access. Do you have a link to what you're talking about?

and just from reading what you've written so far, I feel that your one of the good guys and would hate to hear that you crossed up and ended up wearing a pair of bracelets that arnt all that pretty
    Thank you. I appreciate it. I do try to be a good guy (or the female version of it). I'm just so terribly ignorant of all that you long-term shooters know. It's a pretty steep learning curve, and I'm way behind.

I have had those "OMG what am I doing?" type of moments, when the responsibility of what I'm undertaking drops on my shoulders like a lead cape.

One step at a time...

(even my fur lined ones ... JOKING YA'AL). Be safe.
    Stephen
    LOL. I'm a firm believer that as long as it's A) consensual, and B) adults, it ain't no business of anyone else's!

Quote Originally Posted by p230 View Post
    Now you never know. I think you will find that you will get the same reception (good or bad) as other CHL holders in Tx.
    Hope so! If I'm lucky, they'll ask me what it's like from my viewpoint, why I got it, etc. etc. etc.

One final comment. I highly recomend that you look up the closest chapter of IDPA. You will learn more in one night and the folks are great. If you were in North Texas I'd invite you out to our club, but honestly dont know the chapters down in your area. Even after 22 years on the job, I still shoot IDPA as much as I can, and at work we shoot every other week. Another suggestion, look at getting an airsoft pistol that is a replica of your personal weapon, if you email/pm I'll happily share my expereince with it. There great and my 12yo daughter is shooting 1" squares at 21 feet when we play tic-tac-toe and it carries over to the gun ranges. Little while back at a local range, she challanged a loud mouth full of himself officer (yes there are a few of them in my profession) and kicked his backside using my Novak Browning HP. Gotta love humility.
    Last edited by Scott; August 19th, 2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: profanity
    Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links