Small Texas school district lets teachers, staff pack pistols

This is a discussion on Small Texas school district lets teachers, staff pack pistols within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 4my son Edit to add: It's getting harder and harder to not move to Texas. My little one starts Kindergarten that same ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small Texas school district lets teachers, staff pack pistols

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Edit to add: It's getting harder and harder to not move to Texas. My little one starts Kindergarten that same day.
    Come on down, we'll help you move.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    That depends greatly on where you are going to school. When I was in H.S. we had several riots where it required LEO to be called out in force. shotguns and other small arms were found as well as a plethora of knives and sticks of varying styles. We also had several shootings, a drive by on our football team, and some stabbings and number of 5, 6, 7 on 1 jumpings. Yours truly was jumped by 8 once while walking home.

Ah, the memories...

I think it is great, as you stated, for the Superintendent to make this decision. I hope more will follow suit.
    Is it true; one riot one Texas Ranger?

I think this is a big step in the right direction.

I think all teachers should have the option of getting there CCL and being armed.

Florida schools today have what they call "school resource officers". Which in other words are deputy's assigned to the school.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Welcome to Texas reading writing rithmetic and safety
    More like Read, Writing and Reloading

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Is it true; one riot one Texas Ranger?
    Not if you are referring to our baseball team

In my HS we also had "Youth Action" which was a detachment of the Dallas Police that had an office in the school and we had roaming LEO in cars. Still didn't stop the knuckleheads (and I eventually became one of said knuckleheads too) from doing very stupid things.

We had picture ID badges and metal detectors, and I graduated HS in '92. It has gotten worse, I have been by in the past year and they now have portable buildings that have chain link fenced in walk ways back to the main building. It really looks like a jail, and sadly enough many will graduate to jail, I have seen it first hand.

I think teachers should be able to carry at any level of school. I think we need to straighten out the Education Agencies and have them stop blowing our tax dollars and get more money down to the classroom, and that includes training and processing fees for any teacher/administrator who wants to participate. Then we need to give said Teacher/Administrator a bonus for willing to take on even more responsibility.

Most teachers would take a bullet for their kids, that has been proven time and time again, at least this way they have a fighting chance to stand in the gap and maybe make it out alive at the other end.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

me
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    It's getting harder and harder to not move to Texas. My little one starts Kindergarten that same day.
    just know it is expensive to move a vehicle down here. Cost me more than $200 to move my vehicle here last week.

I caught this on the news last night and it was great to hear.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Hopefully this will help also with the 2009 Legislative session getting changes to state law to allow CHL holders to carry ANYWHERE in the state (except FED buildings). Gov. Perry is on board with this as he has stated. I'm just waiting to see how long before the AntiAmerican Civil Liberties Union files some kind of lawsuit to stop this school district. Claiming it infringes on the rights of psychotic, gun toting sociopaths to have access to protected kill zones of without fear of some do-gooder stopping them.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Amazing
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

This is such a forward thinking and progressive (yes I said 'progressive') initiative and thought by the superintendent that he himself should be recognized in some way with some sort of award. He is so concerned for the safety of his students and teachers _and_ is a realist in mindset that he will go against the grain and do what makes plain sense even as it's not common.
    Takes balls on his part. Big brassy ones.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    What?

No one is saying that teachers aren't qualified, they aren't trained,that its too dangerous, that its not a good idea, blah, blah, blah blah blah?

Whats up with that?

Come on people...I know you are out there! This ain't no fun if everyone agrees !

And yes Janq...
    it does take some brass. Kudos to that Superintendent for swimming against the current....especially when its alot easier just to float along with it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    What?

No one is saying that teachers aren't qualified, they aren't trained,that its too dangerous, that its not a good idea, blah, blah, blah blah blah?

Whats up with that?

Come on people...I know you are out there! This ain't no fun if everyone agrees !

And yes Janq...
    it does take some brass. Kudos to that Superintendent for swimming against the current....especially when its alot easier just to float along with it.
    Read some of the comments posted at the website of the article. The frootloops are out and they are not afraid to post!
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Lightbulb Harrold, Tx School Officials Right On Change In Campus Gun Policy, Says Ccrkba

NEWS RELEASE

BELLEVUE, WA – Harrold, Tex. School district trustees and Supt. David Thweatt deserve accolades for changing school policy to allow staff and teachers to carry concealed handguns to protect against school shootings, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said today.

“When classes open August 25 in Harrold, school buildings will be safer than normal, thanks to this decision,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “Critics of the plan will argue about liability, or suggest that the school could have hired a security officer or off-duty policeman. But we all know that such officers can’t be everywhere, and in an emergency, every second counts.

Gottlieb, co-author of America Fights Back: Armed Self-Defense in a Violent Age, noted that a full chapter of the book is devoted to the folly of gun free zones, including public schools. He said such places are magnets for cowardly mass killers who have nothing to fear because the victims cannot fight back.

“Gun control extremists despise this kind of common-sense approach to the potential of school violence,” Gottlieb observed. “But the time has come to challenge their head-in-the-sand philosophy. How many lives have been lost on public school and college campuses because of these insane victim disarmament measures? How many students and teachers might be alive today if only lawmakers and school officials had acted as responsibly as the Harrold administration?”

Under this new policy, school employees who have a state-issued concealed carry permit, and permission from the school administration, may carry their guns on campus. They must be trained in crisis management and use ammunition designed to minimize ricochet inside school buildings.

“Allowing armed staff and teachers will provide a last line of defense if other security measures at the school fail,” Gottlieb said. “No doubt the school board and Mr. Thweatt will suffer some slings and arrows, but if this decision one day saves the life of even one child, it will have been worthwhile.”

What a great turn of events.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

jfl

Thumbs up Texas school district to allow teachers to carry.

Just saw that on FoxNews
    FOXNews.com - Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News:

A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

Superintendent David Thweatt told FOXNews.com the policy was initiated because of safety concerns.

"We have had employees assaulted before by people in the last several years," Thweatt said. "I think that safety is big concern. We are seeing a lot of anger in society."

He wouldn't comment further on the nature of the assaults.

The Texas superintendent linked gun-free zones with the uprising of school shootings in recent years.

"When you make schools gun-free zones, it's like inviting people to come in and take advantage," Thweatt told FOXNews.com.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and must use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

The kindergarten through 12th grade school district is home to 110 students.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think [a shooting] won't happen here," Thweatt said. "If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them."

He told FOXNews.com he doesn't think students will think twice about the new policy.

"I hope they forget all about it," he said. "We want them to pay attention [to their school work]."

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers.

Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee did not immediately return a call placed to his office by FOXNews.com.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Thumbs up

Cool Beans.

How can you not love Texas?

Perhaps this is the first drop of a great flood.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

-Paco

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links