Are CHL holders more likely to be stopped by police?

Are CHL holders more likely to be stopped by police?

This is a discussion on Are CHL holders more likely to be stopped by police? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see an awful lot of threads with "Great LEO encounter" in them. This leads me to believe that CHL holders are more likely to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are CHL holders more likely to be stopped by police?

Wink Are CHL holders more likely to be stopped by police?

I see an awful lot of threads with "Great LEO encounter" in them. This leads me to believe that CHL holders are more likely to break traffic laws than the general population (or are more likely to talk about it).

-Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    No.Not here anyway.

We dont know that you have a CHL until we run your DL number.

To be honest, even if we could, we have better things to do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I assume more likely to talk about it, as the encounter can usually teach something to other CCW-ers.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'd almost be willing to bet that "We" have fewer encounters and fewer accidents.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    This leads me to believe that CHL holders are more likely to break traffic laws than the general population (or are more likely to talk about it).

I am more contientous now than before. If a SC CWP holder gets a conviction and has to pay a fine of any kind it is more of a hassle to get renewed. Without tickets it can be done online.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I'd almost be willing to bet that "We" have fewer encounters and fewer accidents.
    +1 !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have never been stopped since I have had my CCW and according to all the LEO's at the range that I have talked to it is not very common for them to stop ccw holders. I guess we respect the law, more than the avg. joe hence why we carry the legal way!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

I for one have become more a more polite driver since I got my CHL. I even smile at people in public when I would normally not look at anyone and just go my own way.

I think that when we do have encounters we like to share the positives, and also any negatives that may happen.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

bae
    My last speeding ticket was 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Bragger.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I for one have become more a more polite driver since I got my CHL. I even smile at people in public when I would normally not look at anyone and just go my own way.

I think that when we do have encounters we like to share the positives, and also any negatives that may happen.
    we need more people like u in society. i'd like to get a nice kool-aid grin from people while they walk.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Mine too.

Some sheriffs in my state take your driving record into account in making their decision to issue/deny/revoke. They [those sheriffs] say that your driving record reflects your overall attitude about obeying all laws.

As for the topic, I think that we mention our LEO contacts b/c many of us must notify LEOs if we are carrying during a contact. It's a CC event and I hope everyone continues to post their experiences on these encounters.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I can't say for sure but my instincts says that CHL holders are less likely to get stopped by being less likely to break laws. A CHL holder is expressing a desire to obey the laws just by getting permit. I am going to start a fight but I cannot say the same for those who refuse to get a permit but prefer to exercise their rights by open carrying and challenging LEO to notice or say something. It certainly appears that there are some OC's that have much more interaction with LEO than the average citizen but it may be that they just talk about it more. This is not to say that all do but some give that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I see an awful lot of threads with "Great LEO encounter" in them. This leads me to believe that CHL holders are more likely to break traffic laws than the general population (or are more likely to talk about it).

On the whole, CCW permit holders are very law abiding. Remember that we all have been subject to fingerprint checks. In fact, I have had three this year since I applied for three permits. I haven't been pulled over since the eighties.

People are just sharing their experiences with law enforcment officers while carrying concealed. A lot of these posts were just stops, no citations issued.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

How many people have registered onto this list -- 1000, more? And, what causes one to make an initial posting - generally to ask a question or share a situation they thought others would find interesting (bad guy, potential bad guy, exposed/potentially exposed firearm or an engagement with law enforcement requiring disclosure of CCW).

If there are as many people on this site as I think, and so few topics that drive initial posts -- I'm stunned by how few people have made comments that involve a good or bad connection with LEOs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links