Trip to Cali.

This is a discussion on Trip to Cali. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the family and i are taking a trip back to California. i have a CCWP in Arkansas and i will be able to carry till ...

Thread: Trip to Cali.

Question Trip to Cali.

the family and i are taking a trip back to California. i have a CCWP in Arkansas and i will be able to carry till i get to New Mexico. then i can carry through Arizona.

my question is, according to the law what should i do with my gun when i get to NM and Ca...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    the family and i are taking a trip back to California. i have a CCWP in Arkansas and i will be able to carry till i get to New Mexico. then i can carry through Arizona.

my question is, according to the law what should i do with my gun when i get to NM and Ca...
    I believe in New Mexico you would have to secure it in your trunk. California I believe you may want to hide it in the desert on the Arizona side.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I want you to have the absolutely correct information, but I believe the above to be correct. I have always left mine at home when I went to California....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

i will be driving a truck...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

I left that commie state 13 years ago and I know the gun laws have gotten crazy. This info is way to important to retain it on a internet forum. Google " California Gun Laws" or go to handgunlaws.com: The Leading State Laws Site on the Net . Have a safe trip and I hope you make it back out. You will appreciate real freedom, that's for sure.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I left there late 2005 after 16 years. You should be able to seperate gun from ammo and lock up both seperately and be ok.
    Try asking these folks... California handguns - Calguns.net
    California CCW - concealed carry forum
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I had a friend that brought a pistol to cal . and had to reg it when he got their. He was only staying 2 weeks

Just keep it locked in a lockable gun case in the trunk and keep the ammo in a differant location in your car. Easy and not a problem in CA. Lived in CA all my life and will be returning in the next few months, it is a pain in the you know what State but not as bad as everyone thinks.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I believe in New Mexico you would have to secure it in your trunk. California I believe you may want to hide it in the desert on the Arizona side.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I want you to have the absolutely correct information, but I believe the above to be correct. I have always left mine at home when I went to California....
    I have heard [from another poster on this forum] the exact opposite in that NM is very similar to Colo: anyone may have a loaded handgun in their vehicle while traveling from point 'a' to point 'b' (except where specifically restricted by state & fed law).

Handgunlaw does not mention vehicle restrictions but does say that you may not carry open or concealed on school or universities "except in vehicle if over 19". This makes me believe that what I heard about NM is true since in Colo you may have a loaded handgun in your vehicle while on or transiting school property.

So, my take on this is you probably don't have to lock it up and put it in the trunk in NM. You probably can also OC there.

You might try NM state web site for these statutes.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

From OCDO: New Mexico is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality. In addition, New Mexico has an extended domain law which effectively makes your vehicle an extention of your home. So you may carry openly or concealed in your vehicle.

In Cali you may have a holstered sidearm with an empty chamber and no mag. One would in such a case carry the mag in a mag holder weak side or perhaps a cargo pocket.

If you would feel like a spectacle with OC then unload the firearm and lock it in the trunk.

I'm not too solid on this part: don't take a mag to CA that will hold more than 10 rounds.

For the next trip consider getting a FL CWL, it's good in NM.-Jay
    Attached Images

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm a New Mexico resident and New Mexico has some of the best gun laws in the nation. New Mexico has "extended dominion", your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. While in your vehicle you may carry concealed on your person, in the glove box, under the seat, etc. without any type of permit. Outside your vehicle you may open carry. You may also carry concealed as long as the weapon is unloaded, no permit required. If stopped by law enforcement, you are NOT required to advise them of a weapon in your vehicle. The only restriction is no weapons (loaded or unloaded) are allowed in establishments serving alcohol for ON PREMISES CONSUMPTION. Of course you have to respect the wishes of private property owners who might not want weapons in their business. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by automatic slim; August 16th, 2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: additional information.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

If you want to be safe in CA, join a gang...they are allowed to have guns...no one else though.

Seriously, no guns in CA...lock 'em up and hide them in the trunk.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For CA, you cannot have your handgun within the immediate control of the passenger area. That means you need to put the handgun in a locking case. Center consoles and glove boxes are specifically not considered locking cases in CA statutes. Just get a Center of Mass key locking steel box, put the unloaded gun in that. The loaded magazine can also be in the box but not in the gun. However, if you get a PITA cop who doesn't know our own laws, he may have a problem with that. It's better to just keep the ammo separate from the locked gun case.

When in your hotel or residence, you can legally keep your handgun loaded and ready. Just lock it up again as you leave the residence and go to your vehicle.

About open carry, it is legal IF you keep the gun unloaded and the loaded magazine not touching the gun. However, we are seriously pushing other legal fronts to gain better CCW status and really don't want or need another open carry legal case right now. These can actually damage the whole CCW evolution by encouraging the legislature to amend current laws to our detriment. Open carry, while legally permitted, is not universally recognized as such by many CA LEOs, especially in LA and SF!

If you have your gun locked up in your trunk, etc. and do get pulled over for a traffic citation, you do not need to declare that you have a gun. If you had a CA CCW and were carrying concealed, you must declare such. CA doesn't recognize any other state's CCW or CHL and will not issue to out of state applicants. (LEOs are exempt by federal law.) Doesn't that sound like great grounds for a lawsuit on (un)equal protection grounds???

Can't answer for new Mexico but here's what you need to know for California. If you're transporting a handgun with no permit (and no other permits are good in CA except a CA permit - sucks, I know), it needs to be unloaded and carried in a locked container. Ammo does NOT need to be in a locked container. Technically, you can carry ammo in the same container as the handgun as long it isn't in a position to be fired. What does "in a position to be fired" mean? A loaded magazine, in or OUT of the mag well, in the same locked container is considered in a position to fire. BUT depending on the opinion of whatever LEO with whom you may, um, "interact", you may still be arrested and end up spending a buttload of money proving you were innocent and legal. Our favorite saying is, "Do YOU want to be the test case?" No. So we keep a lock between the firearms we transport and the ammo for those firearms. Same thing with open carry of an unloaded handgun in a holster. Technically, it's legal, but again, you'll most likely be arrested and you'll spend more money proving you were innocent and legal in an even more expensive test case, especially if you try it with a loaded mag on your belt.

By all means, though, bring your handgun. Keep it unloaded in a locked container, separate from ammo, while transporting it and you won't have any problems. Take it into your hotel room or wherever you're staying, and once inside, load it up. Unload it and lock it back up before leaving the room.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    i will be driving a truck...
    If you don't have a trunk, get a
    Homak Electronic Access Pistol Box, such as this:

This is a small one, and and only a smaller firearm will fit. I think even the next size up, which will hold one of the big Sigs or a Ruger GP100 with a four inch barrel, is less than $50.

Set a four digit combination and it's quick and easy to access. Not a bad idea to have anyway, for when you need to leave your pistol in the car for other reasons, as bolted down to a floorboard or seat back, it's harder to break into than a glove compartment.

Links