LEO Automobile Stop: Tell or not tell?

This is a discussion on LEO Automobile Stop: Tell or not tell? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In states where it is required to tell and produce your CCDW License, obviously you best obey the law. What about the other states that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO Automobile Stop: Tell or not tell?

LEO Automobile Stop: Tell or not tell?

In states where it is required to tell and produce your CCDW License, obviously you best obey the law. What about the other states that don't require that you inform the LEO of carrying (if you are carrying). What do you do?

There seems to be a consensus of folks in non-notifying states that it is good practice to inform the LEO and produce your license without his first asking for it. Certainly, you will answer his "Do you have any firearms?" question truthfully, but what do you do about concealed carry at those times?

I carry in a non-notifying state. I feel no need to inform unless asked and the law is on my side. Why open up an unnecessary dialogue and ramp up the stop into something else?

I'd like to hear your thoughts...especially from an LEO perspective.

Thanks.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

2. Remove Ads

I am in Nevada. Nevada does not have a law requring you to tell, however when a LEO runs your DL it will inform him that you have a permit as they are linked in the system. It seems sensable to tell him/show him when you hand him your license and aviod any missunderstanding. I have not been in this situation myself.

Ken

VIP Member
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member
    In my state you don't have to tell, but when I was pulled over I told him. He wasn't concerned and didn't want to unload or take possession of it. He thanked me for telling him and let me off with a warning for my traffic violation. He did tell me that I had to tell, so it just shows you all the officers don't know the law. Not that this means anything, he was black and I am white. I think it is just a good courtesy to let them know, there lives are in danger at ever stop. My opinion might change if I run across a officer that wants to handle my gun, unload it and place it on the hood of his car.

VIP Member
    As redick said, in VA you are not required to inform, however it is linked to your vehicle registration. As soon as he runs your tags he knows if the vehicle is owned by someone with a CHP. I have had LEO ask if I were carrying as soon as they approached, I have had others not mention it at all. I will inform them if I am carrying at the first opportunity. I also keep my hands glued to the steering weheel until they are in a position that they can see what I am doing with them. I don't want to make them nervous by having my hands where they can't see them as they approach.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Gos
    It all depends on the type of contact your having with the LEO at the time.
    For most traffic stops where your getting a citation and never leave the vehicle, just be polite and keep it to yourself.
    If the LEO contact is such that your going to be arrested, (you were in a fight, DUI, bad accident, etc.) then let the LEO know up front as in: "Just so your not surprised during the pat down, I do have a concealed weapon. Tell me what you want me to do with it." The LEO will ask you what it is, where is it and is it loaded. The LEO will remove the weapon and secure it for the duration of the contact. Do not say something like "I have a gun!" If your going to the pokey, always remember to get a receipt for the weapon, or if possible turn it over to someone at the point of contact.

Gos

jfl
    In Florida we don't have to tell.

However I have always very politely told the officer something like "I don't have to disclose this, but as a courtesy, I want you to know that I have a CCW license and that my Glock 9mm is in a holster at my waist".

In 6 or 7 traffic stops, mostly DUI check-points, I've never been asked to do anything with the gun; usually they say "just don't touch it"; a couple of time it became a discussion about why the SIG is so much better than the Glock ...

Once, in a bad area of town, I had stopped for a few minutes in a loading zone, an officer was waiting for me when I came back ... "license registration, insurance" when I produced the CCW and my speech he changed completely, saying "around here I wouldn't go unarmed ... we need more people packing" .

I guess it is a judgment call ... like lot's of things in life.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I see you are new to the forum, so please accept my Welcome. This topic is brought up all the time. A search will bring up a abundance of info. It is usually the consensus that you are better to notify. To me it puts the LEO at ease, I have been on the other side of a Traffic Stop and I would want to know right up front. You don't want the LEO to find out in a way that would make it look as if you were trying to keep something from him. It is also possible that if he knows you are a good guy he may just give you a break, not that is what the presentation is for, but it can't hurt. I simply see no good reason not to inform and if I were still employed as a LEO I would want to know.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    In New Mexico we have extended dominion, your car is considered an extension of your home, so we are not required to inform nor is a permit required for a weapon in your vehicle. I assume every LEO just considers all vehicles contain weapons.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Don't speed silly. :P
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

Here in AZ we don't have to disclose but everything I have heard if you let the officer know upfront you have a good chance of not getting a ticket. I myself feel I am on the side of the law and disclose.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    If you do a search this topic is covered every few weeks. I will tell you though its in your best intrest to inform the officer.

Gos
    The good ones do.
    There is no such thing as a routine traffic stop until it's over and cleared.

Gos

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    .... I assume every LEO just considers all vehicles contain weapons.

Not required to tell if not asked in WA. I tell or not based on the officers demeanor.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

The cops I've talked prefer a don't ask/don't tell policy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links