Moving from NC to GA...What happens to my NC permit

This is a discussion on Moving from NC to GA...What happens to my NC permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I moved to NC 6 months ago and obtained a resident CCW permit. I already posses a NV non resident which was an easy enough ...

Thread: Moving from NC to GA...What happens to my NC permit

Moving from NC to GA...What happens to my NC permit

I moved to NC 6 months ago and obtained a resident CCW permit. I already posses a NV non resident which was an easy enough process when I left Las Vegas. I simply faxed them a signed form and my resident permit in NV became a non resident permit.

Well I'm transfering with my job again and will soon be moving to GA. I contacted my local sheriff here in NC and advised them I was intending to move and they weren't sure if my permit would continue to be valid as a non resident permit, or if I will need to obtain a new permit in GA?

GA has reciprocity with NC so if my NC permit would remain valid as a non resident permit, would I even need a GA permit?

Anyone with experience in this please let me know.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by TunnelVision; August 17th, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: left out a critical part of the story!

2. Remove Ads

if you become a resident you will have to get a GFL

since your moving to georgia you need to join Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news best 16$ you will spend you can view all of their legislative accomplishment so far they are batting 1000 currently they are suing the airports of carry and the probate judges for not issuing licenses to non residents

also visit Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org it has all the gun laws in plain english and also a forum to ask state specific questions, we have some place that are off limits because of old jim crow laws mainly public gatherings like church, political rallies, public concerts etc but the code says not limited too so the forums is a valued asset and GCO to fight in the court systems :)

where you moving to in ga? im in brunswick about 35 mins north of the fl line on I95

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    if you become a resident you will have to get a GFL

since your moving to georgia you need to join Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news best 16$ you will spend you can view all of their legislative accomplishment so far they are batting 1000 currently they are suing the airports of carry and the probate judges for not issuing licenses to non residents

also visit Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org it has all the gun laws in plain english and also a forum to ask state specific questions, we have some place that are off limits because of old jim crow laws mainly public gatherings like church, political rallies, public concerts etc but the code says not limited too so the forums is a valued asset and GCO to fight in the court systems :)

where you moving to in ga? im in brunswick about 35 mins north of the fl line on I95
    Great info and thank you, I will check out both of those groups. I am moving to Loganville where I have family but will only be there a few weeks, from there I'm looking to take permanent residence in Alpharetta.

VIP Member
    Since North Carolina does not have non-resident permits your North Carolina permit will be invalid.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Since North Carolina does not have non-resident permits your North Carolina permit will be invalid.
    That's what I was affraid of...kind of sad the Sheriff's office which issued the permit couldn't answer that question...
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

The local Sheriff is responsible for knowing the laws of his or her jurisdiction, not some others states gun laws. It would be nice if this were true but it is not realistic. Heck the local pd around here don't even know NC gun law let alone another state!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Once you become a resident of Georgia you will have to get a GFL. Check with North Carolina, some states will allow continued use of their licenses until they expire.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    ďAmerica will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.Ē Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    The local Sheriff is responsible for knowing the laws of his or her jurisdiction, not some others states gun laws. It would be nice if this were true but it is not realistic. Heck the local pd around here don't even know NC gun law let alone another state!!

NCH
    Yes but the CCW's here are issued by the Sherrif's office in your county of residence and they have a girl that handles the background searches, permit issuance, and maintaining the records.

When I called she told me I needed to come in and fill out a "form" however she couldn't tell me the purpose of the form and whether or not I would need to surrender my permit or if it would become a non resident permit as my Nevada had in the past.

Pretty sad considering her job revolves around CCW permits in the State of NC. I guess I'm the first Johnston County Resident with a CCW to ever move to Gerogia?
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Welcome to Georgia!!

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Luckily, thatís not true of a GFL.

Once one is issued a Georgia Firearms License, it is valid for 5 years, no matter where you move. You wonít be able to renew it if you move out of state, though.

Links