So we know CCW is not permitted on campus...

This is a discussion on So we know CCW is not permitted on campus... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would happen if somebody with a CCW did carry their weapon with them while on campus, a shootout happened, and the CCWer fired and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So we know CCW is not permitted on campus...

What would happen if somebody with a CCW did carry their weapon with them while on campus, a shootout happened, and the CCWer fired and hit the one doing the shooting and ended the shooting ?

Would there be legal troubles for the CCWer who brought his/her handgun on campus (assuming this is a campus where CCW is not allowed) even though he/her saved lives ?

What would the CCWer be facing ?

This is always something I wondered... IMO there shouldn't be any troubles for the CCWer.

2. Remove Ads

I think they would be in trouble, the Brady Bunch would be all over it. I also think the families of many of the ones saved would step up and contribute to their legal defense fund and speak out in their favor.

In the end they would be heralded as a hero, but expelled for breaking the rules; possibly even do time or pay a hefty fine.

Or at least I would hope it would go down that way.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    ccw is legal on college campuses here in VA. ITs just is against School Policy however, its not illegal to carrry a gun on a college campus here in Virginia.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    depends on where u live and what type of campus. Here in virginia it's not against the law to cc on college campuses just against policy.

Same situation in PA. Most likely you would be expelled but also likely not charged since no law would be broken.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I ment to add that charging around campus may get u introuble during a shooting as you would be mistaken for the active shooter. This is not always true though look at the shooting at the Texas campus I know it was many years ago but when the sniper was in the tower citizens where asked and brought their hunting rifles to assist.

If it's not against state law, the student might just get expelled from the school and face an incredible civil litigation battle.

I actually asked Washoe County's (NV) ADA this exact question when I was interviewing him for a CC on Campus project I was doing. He said "We'd have to prosecute two people, the guy committing the crime and the person who stopped him." Washoe Co Is very CCW-friendly, and the DA (and judges) are pro-2A, so the charge would likely be minimal, but they could probably hammer you pretty hard in civil court.

VIP Member
    In Tennessee, there is a provision in Tennessee Code Annotated which prevents one with being charged with firearms violations if one uses a firearm in legitimate self-defense. The catch, of course, is if one are caught violating the law before one uses the firearm in legitimate self-defense. Then the felonies and misdemeanors hit hard.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

In MI the back of my card says that it is illegal to carry in a dormitory or classroom. But the actual campus, one would assume, is fine. It almost has to be this was for public roads pass through campuses near where I live. So you would actually be violating your CPL. I believe it's a $500 fine and 6 months w/o your permit.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Check the laws in your state. Quite of few are legal to carry on campus, but you'll be expelled if caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    What would happen if somebody with a CCW did carry their weapon with them while on campus, a shootout happened, and the CCWer fired and hit the one doing the shooting and ended the shooting ?

Would there be legal troubles for the CCWer who brought his/her handgun on campus (assuming this is a campus where CCW is not allowed) even though he/her saved lives ?

For certain one thing that he would no longer be facing is his CHL permit which would be taken from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I think they would be in trouble, the Brady Bunch would be all over it. I also think the families of many of the ones saved would step up and contribute to their legal defense fund and speak out in their favor.

In the end they would be heralded as a hero, but expelled for breaking the rules; possibly even do time or pay a hefty fine.

Or at least I would hope it would go down that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    I actually asked Washoe County's (NV) ADA this exact question when I was interviewing him for a CC on Campus project I was doing. He said "We'd have to prosecute two people, the guy committing the crime and the person who stopped him." Washoe Co Is very CCW-friendly, and the DA (and judges) are pro-2A, so the charge would likely be minimal, but they could probably hammer you pretty hard in civil court.
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    In Tennessee, there is a provision in Tennessee Code Annotated which prevents one with being charged with firearms violations if one uses a firearm in legitimate self-defense. The catch, of course, is if one are caught violating the law before one uses the firearm in legitimate self-defense. Then the felonies and misdemeanors hit hard.
    that's how I imagined it would go down

it's a shame

oh well... not too long until I'm finished with school

I see it a little differently.
    For one, I think the media may try to bury the story, as the end result would be contrary to their agenda.
    I think the local law enforcement would probably not prosecute, because even if it was against state policy to carry in a school, most states, even the most liberal, have loopholes for self defense.
    I think the school may grant an "exception," this time to the CCWer, and allow them to stay in school provided they sign something saying they'll never carry at school again. Even though most of these school boards are very anti-gun, they'll get awful press from the NRA and many others if they kicked out someone who saved lives. I doubt many would change their policy though. The lib mindset is even though something isn't working, act as if it is and always has and always will work.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    In Oregon, it's perfectly legal.

It would be a media event for both sides. The Brady Bunch would twist it to sound like the sky was falling. People cognizant of the realities of self-defense against crime would laud it as another example of the benefits of having more than pixie dust in hand when crime finds you.

In some places, it wouldn't matter that you were God's anointed second son: you'd be in legal hot water. Dishonorable crucifixion seems to be the "in" thing, in many states. But, nicely, things seem to be changing all over the place, in the U.S. More states are putting "castle" law into place, to protect righteous self-defense actions against malarkey lawsuits.

In a state where they want to go after you? Up to charges of murder.

IMO there shouldn't be any troubles for the CCWer.
    You're right. There shouldn't, if it's self-defense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links