Flak from the 'Rents

Flak from the 'Rents

This is a discussion on Flak from the 'Rents within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The last few weeks I've been staying with my folks while I wait to sign papers for my new place. In these last weeks, I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flak from the 'Rents

Flak from the 'Rents

The last few weeks I've been staying with my folks while I wait to sign papers for my new place. In these last weeks, I've heard comments on a few occasions from my step-father about carrying a pistol, to include "that's just looking for trouble", "you don't need it", "the whole thought process is messed up", and maybe a few more I can't recall at the moment. I think it is interesting he feels this way, considering he bought his Ruger p89 a long time ago after his home was burglarized, and he keeps several firearms in the house. He's a very intellegent person, and there's no way I'd be able to get him to change his mind on the subject nor would I be able to have a conversation about it that lasted more than a few seconds.
    So... do you think I should just go about my business and not mention anything about carrying or guns, or is there anything I can say that goes beyond all the trite sayings we hear all too often?
    I'm in the mindset that you can't sway someone in any direction but their own on subjects like this. Kinda weird hearing it from him though, makes me feel like I'm paranoid and acting weird, if only for the seconds that we are talking.

just lookin for trouble etc.

Well, you obviously already know you are not going to win with this guy, so why waste your breath or your time ? Don't bring it up and ignore his negative comments. It took getting burglarized to wake him up about about home security. Now maybe he'll only wake up to protecting himself outside the home, after being robbed or worse on the street. You can't change his mind and he can't change yours. I'd call it a draw and move on.

Don't even bring it up. Just because he's a gun owner doesn't mean there's a foundation on which to impress the necessity for firearm carry.

It's but one example of the many schisms that exist in the IIA community. Remember Zumbo?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

i have noticed that on the issue of firearms and specificly civilians carrying on a daily bases either a person agrees with it or disagrees. its very rare/ worth your time to try to get someone to understand your position. of course there are some people that i would spend a little more time trying to get them to UNDERSTAND my position but i don't think i could ever get them to CHANGE there position.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

For some reason, my dad was very anti-gun. Could be because his good friend committed suicide with a gun, but I'm not sure.

He passed away about 12 years ago, before I got my CCW. I've wondered now and then what kind of flak I'd get for CC (let alone OC, which I do now and then!).
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

You have a 'sleeping dog' there...let him rest.

If I were to do anything, I would have another story...or three...about crime in the area, every time I crossed his path. I speak of stories of car-jacking at the local store, robberies in town, assaults in the area...on and on and on...you get the idea! He bought a gun for some reason...get him thinking about crime that could eventually face him on the street or in his house.
    He'll be thinking about it...even if he says nothing for now.

It worked with my wife...took her decades to get her CCW permit...another two years to decide to carry (sometimes), now I'm working on that.

Of my family members who have strong feelings against CCW...I just don't bring up the issue...even if they make a negative comment, I don't touch it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You have a 'sleeping dog' there...let him rest.

If I were to do anything, I would have another story...or three...about crime in the area, every time I crossed his path. I speak of stories of car-jacking at the local store, robberies in town, assaults in the area...on and on and on...you get the idea! He bought a gun for some reason...get him thinking about crime that could eventually face him on the street or in his house.
    He'll be thinking about it...even if he says nothing for now.

It worked with my wife...took her decades to get her CCW permit...another two years to decide to carry (sometimes), now I'm working on that.

Of my family members who have strong feelings against CCW...I just don't bring up the issue...even if they make a negative comment, I don't touch it.
    I mention local crime to let them know what's up, funny though that this week he told me something to the effect of "A piece of advice I can offer you, is that you will hear a lot of things, and it's best to not internalize it."
    I got a kick out of this a few minutes ago though, when he asked me if all the doors were locked, and mentioned that I left one unlocked last night. I told him "good thing nobody broke in, huh?" It took him a minute to respond and eventually say "well, the alarm would have gone off."
    He's super diligent about locking all the doors and can't sleep at night unless the alarm is set (they were burglarized in the middle of the night a few months after moving in, about a 18 months ago).
    You can't fix stubborn, but it's nice to make him think in those rare moments.

Indeed....say no more. I might however start printing off stories, or leaving the newspaper out on the coffee table, opened to the specific 'bad' news of the day. You know...the kind of stories we all share and link to here on the forum. If he's going to be swayed in any way, it will have to be slow and methodical. That is considering you think it's worthwhile. If the subject should ever come up again, let it be him that opens the door to the conversation. This way you won't feel paranoid or uncomfortable as you have the edge and the knowledge in that category.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    just carry in silence
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Guess ya can't win 'em all. It's okay though, cuz I got mom considering a little pistol... If you can't beat 'em, incite rebellion.

Tell him he's made his position clear and it's obvious neither of you are going to change you minds so you'd appreciate it if he would keep further comments to himself since you'll be leaving soon. That would be my approach.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

It's already been said, but I'll say it again; "It's best to let sleeping dogs lie."

Biker

Start reading the paper. Everytime you read a story about a crime where a person CCing could have made a difference clip it out and put it on the refer. I think after a week the fridge will be plastered with articles and he will get the idea and you don't have to say a word. Not saying it will change his mind but it may make him think twice!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Give him a copy of Jeff Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense" for his birthday.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I guess owning a fire extinguisher is looking for a fire and the alarm system is looking for intruders. Carry in silence and pray for him.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links