Got made tonight!

This is a discussion on Got made tonight! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 Well sort of...... After carrying daily for the last eighteen months or so I kind of sort of got made. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got made tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Well sort of......
    After carrying daily for the last eighteen months or so I kind of sort of got made. I was at the concession stand at a movie theater and the girl getting my popcorn points at my fanny pack and asks " Do you ever carry a gun in that?" For a second I thought my zipper was open. I told her " Sometimes, but I carry a lot of stuff in it." She said the reason she asked is that her dad has one that looks just like it and that is how he carries his gun!
    I think fanny packs scream gun just as loudly as a Photographers vest (Shoot me First vest). I never use one. Besides, they are so far out of fashon now, even if you aren't carrying a gun in one you stand out like a sore thumb wearing one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

You don't stand out as much if you are wearing the rest of the uniform.

1. Loud Hawaiian shirt
    2. Pressed cargo pants
    3. Sandals with black socks
    4. Metal detector
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Living in South Florida, I sometimes use a fanny pack, and I am too old to worry about what people think.

I know some people here will say that makes me a target; I don't really believe it, have never seen it documented ... and I'll steal a quote from another member sig: "Criminals look for victims, not opponents".

Exactly! I've seen the vests referred to as "shoot me first" vests, but I think they could just as easily be called "mug me last" vests since thugs tend to prefer victims that can't harm them, why would they target someone who might be a threat?
    In my area we have 2 lakes and 2 rivers close by so seeing people in public wearing fishing vests is common and won't get a second glance. The only person I know of who wears a photographers vest is....a photographer for the local paper.
    I really don't care if people "think" I have a gun,it's concealed from direct view in accordance of the law and so far its never been an issue.

What I found interesting was that the only person that ever asked me about it was a person that lives someone that uses the same pack! Of all the shops in the area that I have been into only one carries them. It would not surprise me a bit if we bought the exact same model at the same store. I also thought it was amusing that she asked if I ever. Not if I was at that moment

I have used it several times before at that same theater, and never even got a second look from the off duty deputies working security there.

The only other time I ever saw any indication of someone even suspecting I was armed was an off duty uniformed deputy that gave me a nod when I was also using it to transport some gold coins I was selling.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    her friend then said,"do you carry a gun?"..I said"well,let's just say,I hope you don't have to find out."concealed is concealed,but sometimes we out ourselves.
    True; I suspect everyone present mentally converted your answer to "yes" anyway. When asked a similar question by my adult niece, I said "I can't answer questions like that". If I find a question really annoying and intrusive, I like to quote from The Prisoner: "Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself".

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I don't know why fanny pack carry is still an option... I mean, it's as bad as the photography vest... NO ONE wears them anymore except people concealing a weapon
    People riding bikes wear them all of the time. But those I know, carry their guns in their motorcycle vests.... that's where mine is. LOL. Other stuff is in the fanny pack.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yea, you might have asked her what type of gun she was referring to and that you didn't appreciate her taking that much interest in your privates.

Of course depending on her age, that might have gotten you into a bit of trouble and possibly on the watch list for sexual crimes.
    Good point! She wouldn't have asked that ? again after he would have told her about is magnum.

OK,this has always bugged me...those vests..has anyone EVER been "shot first" because he was wearing one?I highly doubt it.And the fanny pack screaming gun.....I think it's just other gunnies who think that.Pepople just don't pay that much attention.
    Plus if a bad guy is targeting people and DOES think they may be carrying because they have a vest on or a fanny pack...maybe he'll move on.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Well sort of......
    After carrying daily for the last eighteen months or so I kind of sort of got made. I was at the concession stand at a movie theater and the girl getting my popcorn points at my fanny pack and asks " Do you ever carry a gun in that?" For a second I thought my zipper was open. I told her " Sometimes, but I carry a lot of stuff in it." She said the reason she asked is that her dad has one that looks just like it and that is how he carries his gun!

I think that's pretty cool. One of the "beefs" I have with CC, is that it hides our guns like they're something to be ashamed of (I know that's not the real reason, but not everyone knows that). I would rather teacher our kids the depth of thought that tells them "a person carrying a gun on their hip is nothing to be concerned about," and about interpreting context when confronted with seeing a gun.

The girl asking about your fanny pack has the right attitude... It's no big deal if you sometimes carry. As opposed to the Wal-Mart mom who freaks out and calls 911 and the national guard if they catch a glimps of someones CCW.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    OK,this has always bugged me...those vests..has anyone EVER been "shot first" because he was wearing one?I highly doubt it.And the fanny pack screaming gun.....I think it's just other gunnies who think that.Pepople just don't pay that much attention.
    Plus if a bad guy is targeting people and DOES think they may be carrying because they have a vest on or a fanny pack...maybe he'll move on.

Exactly!

Get one that has KODAK or MINOLTA printed in bold lettering>..

But then again that might be another invitation to a confrontation.

I still wear a photography vest

But only when i am shooting my Canon that can chew a roll of 36 exposures in 4 secs flat. I need a lot of film handy and really need to go digital but what can I do? Besides no one would lug a tripod and lens bag as big as what I carry just to make the vest look legit. There is however a gun underneath. when it comes to gun carry on normal days always a cover shirt or jacket.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Anytime, anyone sees a grown man with a fanny pack, they know they are packing. Might as well OC when using a fanny pack!

Sorry, but that statement is the droppings of a common barnyard animal that fertilizes the female's eggs and also provides a popular source of steaks! Most people are just clueless. They see a fanny pack, and they may think "tourist"but more likely they think nothing at all! Unless you carry, or have a reason to be familiar with that method of carrying a gun, it will never come to mind. Here in Vegas, on any given day you'll see thousands of fanny packs, and I doubt that even 1% contain a gun. And non-resort cities will be similar. Fanny packs are good methods of carrying when on the body carry isn't practical. When I used to work making medical house calls, I carried my XD 45 in a fanny pack, no one ever gave me a second look, with the exception of a person that threatened me in a McDonald's, and he knew that there was a gun in the bag because I had my hand on the grip, and told him that if he came toward me, I would assume that it was an attack, and that I would provide him with 45 caliber air conditioning.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I've got to add, I use a fanny pack very frequently in the summertime. Never heard a word about it until last week. Fiancee and I are at the supermarket and we have the "chattiest" cashier in the world. This kid started with hello and jabbered through $200 worth of groceries (not as long as it used to be). Anyway, somewhere in the beginning he asked if we were tourists and pointed at my fanny pack. I said "no" and continued bagging my groceries. SO.......point is sometimes people notice, I don't care! It's convenient, especially wearing swim trunk type shorts. It's comfortable. And it's secure. If I look like a tourist, or heaven forbid "out of style" so be it.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

All kidding aside, I just can't think they are that comfortable. It is not like a SamrtCarry that is kind of held tight against you by your clothing, but it would have too much room to move around.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links