Gov. Perry OK with Texas Gun-Toting Teachers

This is a discussion on Gov. Perry OK with Texas Gun-Toting Teachers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gov. Perry OK with Gun-Toting Teachers Texas School District OKs Pistols for Staff AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry indicated Monday he supports a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gov. Perry OK with Texas Gun-Toting Teachers

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Gov. Perry OK with Gun-Toting Teachers

Texas School District OKs Pistols for Staff

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry indicated Monday he supports a tiny school district's decision to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes start later this month.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a policy change last year to allow employees to carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings.

"There's a lot of incidents where that would have saved a number of lives," Perry said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

District policy requires a teacher carrying a gun to school to have a Texas concealed handgun license, be authorized by the district to carry the weapon, have training in crisis management and hostile situations and use ammunition designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

"The issue with handguns is the training and registration," Perry said. "After that, you're trained and registered."

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border. It has about 50 teachers and staff members

Asked if other school districts should take similar measures, Perry said, "It's up to those local school districts."

Superintendent David Thweatt has said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm not sure what his reference to "registration" means. I guess he means "licensed", with a Texas CHL. There is no "registration" in Texas, unless he's referring to the school process.

I like his support, but I wish he'd get his language correct.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I think he is talking about that the teachers who carry must register with the school district if they are going to carry.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I don't trust Gov. Perry further than I can throw him. I wish I could beleive that he was truly OK with this, but I smell an election nearby so he will talk the talk and then go stupid on us again after the fact.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I'm not much of a Perry fan, but I do think he's been consistent on 2A issues, so I'll give him that. The governor of Texas does not wield much power, but can definitely influence public opinion.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I don't trust Gov. Perry further than I can throw him. I wish I could beleive that he was truly OK with this, but I smell an election nearby so he will talk the talk and then go stupid on us again after the fact.
    Although there may be a lot of things for which Perry may not deserve trust, his record on favorable gun laws has been unfailing. Compare that with Obama who has has virtually no track record, and what little track record he has, he is definitely a No No.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I'm not much of a Perry fan, but I do think he's been consistent on 2A issues, so I'll give him that. The governor of Texas does not wield much power, but can definitely influence public opinion.
    You are much closer to the situation than I, but doesn't Gov. Perry like to issue executive orders? I kinda remember one about mandatory inoculations for female public school students for cervical cancer(?)...no legislation, no debate, no vote, just his executive order.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

"The issue with handguns is the training and registration," Perry said. "After that, you're trained and registered."
    That sounds like a Bush statement. Obvious quote is obvious. Although, I expect they cut out a portion of his reply... at least, I hope they did.

Well, its a start. Maybe this will inspire other districts. Won't hold my breath though.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

woo-hoo!!! I hit 100 post and haven't been kicked off yet!!!
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I always hear that here in TX," I'm not a fan of his, but....", still better then a Chris Bell! You are definatly right though, he has stayed consistent on the 2A and he has done a great job pushing for reciprocity with other states. I'm sure Governor Perry is still one of the most pro gun governors in the country.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    I always hear that here in TX," I'm not a fan of his, but....", still better then a Chris Bell! You are definatly right though, he has stayed consistent on the 2A and he has done a great job pushing for reciprocity with other states. I'm sure Governor Perry is still one of the most pro gun governors in the country.
    I think you're right, and it's caused my opinion of Rick Perry to go up quite a bit. I was really hoping Kinky Friedman would win, though . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod

I think you're right, and it's caused my opinion of Rick Perry to go up quite a bit. I was really hoping Kinky Friedman would win, though . . .

+1!!

I may not be happy with quite a few things Gov. Rick has done over the years (I've often called him Bush Lite), but he has been straight as an arrow when it comes to supporting Texans 2A rights. That's a LOT more than I can say for his predecessor!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Well as long as Perry is governor no one here has to worry about any anti gun legislation going through.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Looks like this is a "Perry" topic?

So forgive me a bit if you consider this "off topic", but does anybody know how to get an e-mail of support to the school superintendant?

I've searched without success.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links