Defensive Carry banner

Gov. Perry OK with Texas Gun-Toting Teachers

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  grady 
#1 ·
Gov. Perry OK with Gun-Toting Teachers

Texas School District OKs Pistols for Staff

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry indicated Monday he supports a tiny school district's decision to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes start later this month.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a policy change last year to allow employees to carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings.

"There's a lot of incidents where that would have saved a number of lives," Perry said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

District policy requires a teacher carrying a gun to school to have a Texas concealed handgun license, be authorized by the district to carry the weapon, have training in crisis management and hostile situations and use ammunition designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

"The issue with handguns is the training and registration," Perry said. "After that, you're trained and registered."

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border. It has about 50 teachers and staff members

Asked if other school districts should take similar measures, Perry said, "It's up to those local school districts."

Superintendent David Thweatt has said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure what his reference to "registration" means. I guess he means "licensed", with a Texas CHL. There is no "registration" in Texas, unless he's referring to the school process.

I like his support, but I wish he'd get his language correct.

#6 ·
Although there may be a lot of things for which Perry may not deserve trust, his record on favorable gun laws has been unfailing. Compare that with Obama who has has virtually no track record, and what little track record he has, he is definitely a No No.

#5 ·
I'm not much of a Perry fan, but I do think he's been consistent on 2A issues, so I'll give him that. The governor of Texas does not wield much power, but can definitely influence public opinion.

#7 ·
You are much closer to the situation than I, but doesn't Gov. Perry like to issue executive orders? I kinda remember one about mandatory inoculations for female public school students for cervical cancer(?)...no legislation, no debate, no vote, just his executive order.

#14 ·
Well as long as Perry is governor no one here has to worry about any anti gun legislation going through.

#15 ·
Looks like this is a "Perry" topic?

So forgive me a bit if you consider this "off topic", but does anybody know how to get an e-mail of support to the school superintendant? :hand5:

I've searched without success. :blink:

#18 ·
News Article

Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat - Yahoo! News

E-mail sent:

Dear Supt. Thweatt:

Congratulations for having the courage to take a common-sense stand for the security of your district. Don't allow outside politicians to tell you what is best for your school.

If the trustees of Virginia Tech had had your courage and foresight, a lot of lives would have been saved.

#21 ·
Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat - Yahoo! News

E-mail sent:

Dear Supt. Thweatt:

Congratulations for having the courage to take a common-sense stand for the security of your district. Don't allow outside politicians to tell you what is best for your school.

If the trustees of Virginia Tech had had your courage and foresight, a lot of lives would have been saved.
I just received the following email from Supt. Thweatt today:

Phil:

I wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know how much I appreciate your email and encouragement. It has meant a lot to have so many concerned citizens from across Texas and America contact me to let me know that we’re heading in the right direction. It is important to note that the mail response has been overwhelmingly positive (maybe 10 negatives versus about 200 positives). Obviously, I knew within my heart (and mind) that Harrold ISD was making the right decision, but it always helps to know that one small school district in Texas is not alone in its fight. I’ve been pretty busy with the media coverage, but I believe that it may be slowing down a bit. I have also come to believe the fight is just beginning. I want to encourage you to continue to contact your legislators so that laws will be enacted to ensure that every American will be able to practice his or her 2nd Amendment rights.

God bless America and God bless you,

David Thweatt
Superintendent
Harrold ISD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.