Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states?

This is a discussion on Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I don't like having to disarm, I don't let carrying run my life or dictate where I go. That is state or city law ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states?

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    While I don't like having to disarm, I don't let carrying run my life or dictate where I go. That is state or city law wise. For businesses who post, concealed is concealed.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ada229 View Post
    Do you avoid traveling to or through states that do not allow you to carry your gun? My wife and I used to enjoy visiting Chicago when we were dating since it is only about 3 hours from us, but since I have been "enlightened" over the past 5 or 6 years, I refuse to go for a weekend or even an hour. Chicago is a fun city with a lot to do, but if I can't carry, I'm not going. Does anyone else feel the same way or plan vacations accordingly?
    Yes absolutely.

We live in Shelby County Tennessee. My wife is from Mobile Alabama and I am from central Indiana. No problems when we go to visit her side of the family but when we go to see mine in Indiana, major problem. If you look up the recommended rout on Yahoo maps or Mapquest or any other mapping software, they all recommend going through Illinois.

Well, I, and my wife since she carries every day too, will simply not do that. No way, no how. We refuse to do business with any business or state that restricts or outlaws our basic civil right to self-protection. I won't travel through it, and I will not spend money there. The rout we take goes to Nashville and then North up I-65 to Indiana. It is about an hour longer, costs more in fuel and time but I don't care. That rout, we don't have to disarm at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I will not travel to or through any state that does not honor my right to defend myself. I have, on occasion, taken the time to drive 'around' a state to remain armed.
    I have missed family reunions, and other such events because I refuse to be made a helpless victim.

Stay armed...if you have a choice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't visit my parents in IL...

They would much rather visit me in VA...that whole freedom thing, and all.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states?

I do! If I can't get to my destination without going through a stupid state, I will do it as quickly as possible, without stopping if I can.

Any place that values the business of their criminals above my safety does NOT need my tourist dollars.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Not me.

My right to carry and to defend myself is important to me, but life's too short to have all my decisions and actions determined by one criteria.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

While I certianly don't let it run my life, it DOES influence a great deal where I choose to go. Like I said, Chicago is out, if I want a "big city" vacation, I'd choose Indianapolis or Cleveland over Chicago. My wife and I chose to go to the Smoky Mountains in TN over Mexico for our honeymoon 3 years ago, and while the CCW issue didn't make or break the decision, it played a big part for sure. If I can avoid those places I will. There are people I work with who enjoy going to Canada to snowmobile and fish. There are plenty of places in this state and country where I could go to do that stuff before I'd even consider Canada because I can protect myself.

I travel from my home in Nebraska to the Phila. Pa area.I fuel the car and eat in Iowa,then cross Illinois without spending a dime. DC I stay in Va. and make day trips to Sites. I visit relatives in Jersey on short day trips and spend my money in Pa.
    Hugh

while i prefer to carry everywhere i go, i know it's not realistic (esp. since my family is all in NY). i can't let my desire to carry dictate where i do and don't go in the broad scheme of things. i will do that locally here, but to me its not realistic.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Next month I am going to pass through Nebraska to visit my 93 year old uncle in Iowa. Both are no no states, but my uncle IS 93. I'm going, my guns aren't.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Not realy

what's evil is i drive to cali frequently and just bring a magazine from my gun over the border can land me in trouble.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I try to avoid places and states that do not allow me to carry off of one of my many permits but it is not always practical. Iowa, WI and IL are my usual route out of state so I don't have much choice.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Really don't have a choice in Pennsylvania since we are surrounded by anti-gun states. I have to disarm in order to get to a state that honors my permit. So no I guess I don't avoid them.
    From PA here too, near the MD border. Hard to avoid going through Maryland. I do not carry when I go through there but I sure as heck don't spend my money there if at all possible.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Generally speaking, I do avoid the unfriendly states. However, I won't deprive myself of visiting a place that I really want to go to just based on the state's policy toward guns. I don't really like New York, so I'm not missing much there, but should something occur that makes me want to go, I would. But when at all possible without punishing myself, I avoid gun unfriendly states.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links