Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states?

This is a discussion on Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It isnt carved in stone, but I avoid places that have proven to me that I am not wanted there.(read not CCW friendly). I do ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states?

It isnt carved in stone, but I avoid places that have proven to me that I am not wanted there.(read not CCW friendly). I do refuse to spend any money in those states. Only about 40 miles to the Illinois state line from here and the riverboat in Metroplis,Ill---the wife and I go to Tunica,Miss. when the urge strikes.

2. Remove Ads

If I can't carry, I don't go with the exception of a little chunk of Wisconsin that I go through from Michigan to Minnesota on U.S. 2.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

like Pro2A, i live in PA, so i'm surrounded by anti-states. to get anywhere, i have to drive through them. i have visited NYC recently; leaving my gun behind doesn't mean i'm unarmed. i wouldn't willingly go out of my way to visit an anti-state, however, so don't count on me being in MD, HI or IL anytime soon. i won't even visit my parents in Puerto Rico.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; August 21st, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

This is fascinating. It seems to me that there are two types of victims - those who are unarmed when crime touches their lives, and those who are too afraid or paranoid to even drive through a state unarmed.

Hopefully the current trend towards more and more reciprocity combined with recent court rulings will increase access as we move forward. In the meantime, I will continue go where I need or want to, preferably armed but unarmed if the need should occur.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    leaving my gun behind doesn't mean i'm unarmed.
    +1000!!! I am always amazed by the number of people who say, "I won't go there because I can't carry a gun.". I will be the first to admit that I am fortunate enough to be able to carry a gun just about everywhere in the US. But, that being said, there are places I don't get to carry. A few years ago I got to go the White House and meet with the Vice President in his White House office. I got to see parts of the White House that folks don't normally get to see. Would I have missed that just because I had to check my gun at the gate? No way! Last year I travelled around Europe and the Med with my wife and daugther. The memories from that trip (my daughter's first time in Europe) are worth more than all the money in the world. I would never have missed that just because I could not carry a gun there.

When I was in Europe, I did not carry a gun. But I was far from defenseless! A firearm is simply one tool in my tool box for taking care of myself and my family. My first tool is the one between my ears. Followed closely by my hands (and whatever I can put in them) and my feet. The day that I become absolutely reliant on a firearm to be "safe" and to defend myself and my family is the day I build a fence and moat around my home and never leave. Do I carry a firearm with me pretty much everywhere I go, pretty much all of the time? Yep. Do I encourage others to do the same? Absolutely!!! Is it a "security blanket" on which I have become completely dependent, at the expense of enjoying life and forfeiting the hundreds of others of means I have of defending myself? No way!

Just my opinion,
    Gonzo
    Last edited by TheGreatGonzo; August 21st, 2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth a dang!
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I don't go out of my way to avoid states with unfriendly CCL laws, but I do NOT stop in them.

Example right now South Carolina is not on Florida list, so when traveling north, we do not stop for fuel or to spend the night there. However, we go through it all the time on the interstate. If I where to get stopped (why I don't speed) I would just leave my pistol in the motor home.

I would love to go to a show in NY, or ride Pacific coast highway in Calf. but I won't until we have national CCL acceptance.

I'm still active duty and travel in govenment vehicles so I don't carry. I do always have a knife on me.

We lived in Turkey for two years and did some traveling; I never had a problem. I usually carried my ASP baton or a large folder.

I did take a very long road trip when a few years back where I couldn't carry. When we lived in Alaska we drove from Anchorage to my home state in TX, then to my next assignment the Pentagon. About 6000 miles. Since I was going through Canada I didn't have a gun. All I had was my ASP baton and an Emerson folder. I didn't have any problems. After we arrived in DC we stayed on Bolling AFB until our townhouse was ready in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by ada229 View Post
    Do you avoid traveling to or through states that do not allow you to carry your gun? My wife and I used to enjoy visiting Chicago when we were dating since it is only about 3 hours from us, but since I have been "enlightened" over the past 5 or 6 years, I refuse to go for a weekend or even an hour. Chicago is a fun city with a lot to do, but if I can't carry, I'm not going. Does anyone else feel the same way or plan vacations accordingly?
    Well, i live in such a place and I can't get out, at least not right away anyway. Family and financial concerns, which are usually problems for most, are keeping me from leaving now. A switch to a CCW friendly county might help and I am working on that.

I agree with your thinking in the interim. Why go naked when you don't have to? All I have in my county is pepper spray, stun or taser, if I choose. Tasers are still legal here and I know that because I consulted the California Department of Justice. They warned me that this may change, however. Hey, if a taser will buy me more defensive range, I am for it. That's another topic of discussion.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

I do avoid states I can't carry in, esp over-night stay. But does not stop me from making a stop. This issue comes up only to deside where I will stay the night (it is one one thing to consider).

This can be a problem for me. I have in-laws in Chicago, and in-laws in upstate NY. I can't (legal) carry in either (not suggesting illegal carry). Some of the in-laws in NY have LE related jobs (and carry). Something about NY carry bugs me the most. NY in-laws carry (and not just the LE) in MI but I can't carry in NY.

Wish a nation wide (even if just lower 48) CCW had more push.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    This is fascinating. It seems to me that there are two types of victims - those who are unarmed when crime touches their lives, and those who are too afraid or paranoid to even drive through a state unarmed.

Hopefully the current trend towards more and more reciprocity combined with recent court rulings will increase access as we move forward. In the meantime, I will continue go where I need or want to, preferably armed but unarmed if the need should occur.
    Good point

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I don't have a choice about South Carolina.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Heart is in Wyoming with butt in Wisconsin
    Unfortunately as I live in the unfriendly state of Wisconsin, I don't have much of a choice. I used to live in Wyoming and since moving back here I realize just how good I had things out there. Trust me when I say that I'd love to move back to where life seemed more "normal" and where people believed in the freedoms that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by opusd2 View Post
    Unfortunately as I live in the unfriendly state of Wisconsin, I don't have much of a choice. I used to live in Wyoming and since moving back here I realize just how good I had things out there. Trust me when I say that I'd love to move back to where life seemed more "normal" and where people believed in the freedoms that I do.
    I moved to Wyoming from Nebraska 11 years ago. You've got 'er pegged pretty good. Great place to live!

Cloudpeak

My mother used to live in Chicago. She now lives in one of the far south suburbs. I go once a year, only to see her. I can't wait to leave. The people make my skin crawl. I spend a big chunk of Christmas night ferrying my various relatives from and back to their homes in innercity Chicago. I most definitely do not like doing this without a firearm. I mistrust the police as if they were a militia in some third world country, and with abundant justification.

When my mother dies, my trips to Illinois end, once and for all.

Heart is in Wyoming with butt in Wisconsin
    Where I live in WI is where we have a huge influx of tourists from the Chicago IL are every summer in what Wisconsin likes to flout as it's "biggest industry". Some of the people vacationing are normal, but there is also that Chicago attitude that come along with them that makes living where I do a big pain. They try to apply their ways of living upon the locals and the diluted decide to follow along because they bring in some money, but the rest of us avoid them and their ideas as it is nothing but trouble.

Just try to apply a Chicago way of living to a farming community and see what great results that bring.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links