Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states?

This is a discussion on Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you avoid traveling to or through states that do not allow you to carry your gun? My wife and I used to enjoy visiting ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avoid "unfriendly" CCW/gun states?

Do you avoid traveling to or through states that do not allow you to carry your gun? My wife and I used to enjoy visiting Chicago when we were dating since it is only about 3 hours from us, but since I have been "enlightened" over the past 5 or 6 years, I refuse to go for a weekend or even an hour. Chicago is a fun city with a lot to do, but if I can't carry, I'm not going. Does anyone else feel the same way or plan vacations accordingly?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Really don't have a choice in Pennsylvania since we are surrounded by anti-gun states. I have to disarm in order to get to a state that honors my permit. So no I guess I don't avoid them.

Avoid travel to certain states...nope. I agree with the old saying, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. And, yes, we do have the right to remain silent. I'm from South Chicago and hate to go back. That's why I retired in the great state of Georgia!!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If I'm Going through an unfriendly state I disassemble the handgun and put it in a safe in my cab. Generally my destination is a gun friendly state. Therefore if I have it disasembled I can claim the safe passage. If my final destination is a unfriendly state I.E. NY where my finance is from I do not take a pistol but rather a rifle thats "cased" and ammo separate" because I'm going "Hunting, or shooting" wink wink. If thats the case I take a win 94 in 357 magnum. Because I can fit 9 or 10 rounds of .357 in it or just a pump shotgun. Because I can always go skeet shooting wink wink. Yes its not easily accessible but still I have "something" rather then nothing. My 94 trapper is a lever action with a 16 inch barrel and can provide a lot of firepower if I need it, and if I have the time to load it. Like I said its something rather then NOTHING.

My reasoning for this is I don't carry drugs, or do unlawful activities therefore for them to find a gun they would have to really be stretching a reasonable search on my vehicle. I also don't drink and drive and obey most speed limits and never go above 10 mph on the speed limit; therefore, for an officer to say I'm behaving in a abnormal behavior is a stretch; however, I still don't violate the law, thats the reason for the lever action rifle. Also, in the hands of a skilled rifleman a lever action 357 model 94 can do just as much if not more then a unskilled person with an AR or AK style rifle. Most states allow you to have a rifle in without a "permit". I still avoid Jersey.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I wish. I visit some buddies in Morgantown, WV, and if it wouldn't take me an extra 3 hours to drive around Maryland, I'd do it.

Excellent idea. I'll have to remember the "skeet shooting" thing when visiting my sister in Buffalo or my grandpa in IA. Something is definatley better than nothing.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Not necessarily. I recently went to Hawaii, and guess what? I did not take a gun.

If I need or have a desire to go somewhere I don't let carrying a gun stop me. For example, I went to DC a few years ago. There are interesting places there, and the fact that I could not carry did not prevent me from visiting there.

Would you believe that I did not get robbed or mugged?

I have visited my son in LA without a gun.

I don't intend to let whether or not I can carry control my life.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Not necessarily. I recently went to Hawaii, and guess what? I did not take a gun.

If I need or have a desire to go somewhere I don't let carrying a gun stop me. For example, I went to DC a few years ago. There are interesting places there, and the fact that I could not carry did not prevent me from visiting there.

Would you believe that I did not get robbed or mugged?

I have visited my son in LA without a gun.

I don't intend to let whether or not I can carry control my life.

Regards,
    Jerry

JERRY LOL,
    Not to harp on you man but the original Idea I think was travel. Unless I was the little clown fish in that disney movie I wouldn't stop in Hawaii via my Toyota Tacoma. I've never been; however, I have no intention for the reason of its "technically" not a free state. I'll pick Florida over Hawaii for the beaches from the simple fact of similarity yet still maintaining my rights to survive. Also, I'm not a beach person and more of a woods person thats why Alaska is my choice of travel destination and we all know they frown on anybody "NOT" carryin 12 gauge anything less than either a 45-70 guide gun or X Frame SMITH.

Also, CA I have had a cusin from the left coast but I've never been for reasons stated above. However, If I had to go man I would have fun time with my O/U browning Citori breaking birds, and I've still never met a bad guy that laughed at at O/U skeet gun loaded with double O buck.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

VIP Member
    If I want to go somewhere, I'll go rather I can carry or not. Half my family lives about 30 miles away in Illinois. I alwaya hate disarming, but it is family.
    As far as a vacation, I'd prefer to go somewhere I can carry. I do try to avoid places that won't allow me to carry, but won't let it run my life.

If traveling I try to pick a route that allows me to carry concealed all the way,but if i have to go to a state that doesn't honor my ccw then i will put it away even tho i never do anything that would justify a legal search of my vehicle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I like being able to carry, but its not the holy grail. I've worked all over the world in some pretty scary places. (Russia, India, all over South America, lots of places that ended in "stan". ) I'm really glad I did it. I would have missed a lot of the world if I'd stayed at home with the covers over my eyes.

I think avoiding a state or country because you can't carry a weapon with you is "woose" behavior. Having said that, I'd still rather be armed than not.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

As a general rule I refuse to support any place that doesn’t welcome me as I am.

VIP Member

It is not always that easy, so I roll with the punches; except we do drive around Chicago on the wat to Wis.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If their intention was to frighten folks, then the BGs won. I am a little surprised that some are so afraid of going unarmed they will not go to some very interesting places.

I realize that some won't go as a matter of principle. But the Smithsonian does not care what you are trying to prove, and you miss some great information.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    If their intention was to frighten folks, then the BGs won. I am a little surprised that some are so afraid of going unarmed they will not go to some very interesting places.

I realize that some won't go as a matter of principle. But the Smithsonian does not care what you are trying to prove, and you miss some great information.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Countries are judged by how many people want to import to them-Tony Blair

For that reason I have no reason to go to .......STAN unless i'm on I'm on the Governments/Contractors dime which allow me to protect myself i.e. if uncle Sam said "Heres an M16 and go fight i would not object. I know a lot of people say that DC is interesting/ so is Chicago. Maybe to the Artsy style people.....however, I will be the first to admit I do not fall into that category....What is interesting to me is Yellowstone, Alaskan territory, Florida Everglades, pikes peak Colorado, Mount Rushmore, Gettysburg, and the battle fields of the south. All those places recognize me as a freedom loving American. I live a stones throw form the Smithsonian; however, the last time I was at the smithsonian was in another decade vs. I have been to Gettysburg (which is 2+ hours away) more than I've been to our nations capital to see what freedom is. I believe those places give me more a sense of freedom than such a place like NYC or the District. If I want to experience America I'll go to a small field in PA where "hero's" from 911 sacrificed themselves for the better of us all to save us from a terroist regime.. I'm not saying that the others are worthless or died in vane, I'm just saying to experience freedom/ live staying in actual free land which allows all the freedoms of a freedom loving person as I am is not wrong/missing out on anything that is going on the world. If I want to experience France/Russia/ England I'll hit up Yahoo or Google, but if i want to love life and live as I believe I will stay with what I know vs. bending over to meet somebody elses idea of what experiencing life.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links