NYC

This is a discussion on NYC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am headed to NYC in late September for 1 week. Does anyone have any suggestions as to protect myself while there? I mean ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: NYC

  1. #1
    New Member Array DrKyle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    S. Texas
    Posts
    6

    NYC

    Ok, I am headed to NYC in late September for 1 week. Does anyone have any suggestions as to protect myself while there? I mean other than the typical common sense stuff - be very aware of surroundings, avoid potential areas, etc... Any help is appreciated. I am going to feel nekked w/o my G27!
    Kyle
    Dr. Kyle
    "... the best laid plans go to $&*% when the buzzer goes off..."

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array boscobeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    upstate new york
    Posts
    1,176
    I have a permit in NY for 34 years but cannot carry in NYC.

    I never have any real worries when going there for a ball game or show or some other touristy type stuff..

    Follow the basics that you already have stated, stay out of residential areas that you are not familiar with. Take cabs at night (a real cab-not some gypsy dude) and stay in populated areas.

    There are always plenty of people around and if there aren't you might want to get somewhere where there is.

    Things can happen in crowds as well but being among other people is just a better way to go.

    Have a great time in the Big (rotten) Apple.

    Bosco

  4. #3
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    a short list of survival advice from a (former) punk kid from the Bronx:

    carry a knife and some OC; yes, they're not entirely legal, but the worst that'll happen is a cop will just relieve you of them.

    buy a Yankees hat, maybe a shirt, to blend in. if you're in queens, make it a NY Mets hat; Yankees gear will get you in trouble. and do not, for the love of G*D, wear anything that says "Boston" on it. do NOT wear a "I LOVE NY" or anything like that; it screams "tourist".

    do NOT look up too much: "gosh, honey, these buildings are awfully tall..." and don't point at stuff too much.

    if you carry cash, separate it: keep some in your wallet, some in your pockets, some in your shoes, etc. if possible, pay for everything with plastic. don't bother bringing a checkbook, nobody will take yours.

    when riding the subway, board the car closest to the stairs to the platform. never board one car, then move to another, unless it's to avoid trouble. do not wear headphones or anything like that.

    no jewelry, no jewelry, NO JEWELRY.

    get the number of the closest LEO precinct, and find out where the closest hospital is.

    do NOT rely on the kindness of strangers. if something happens, there will be hundreds of people who didn't see anything.

    do not carry a pack, unless you really have to. no totes, no purses, no fannypacks, no backpacks. carry what you need in your pockets.

    avoid closed stairwells if you can. they're as dangerous as elevators during an attack.

    only eat hot dogs if they're sabrett's brand. never nathan's.



    i hope this helped somewhat. like i said, i was a punk kid from NYC. the things i listed are all things that punks will look for, recognize, and jump on if they get the chance.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lower hudson valley ny
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    a short list of survival advice from a (former) punk kid from the Bronx:

    carry a knife and some OC; yes, they're not entirely legal, but the worst that'll happen is a cop will just relieve you of them.

    buy a Yankees hat, maybe a shirt, to blend in. if you're in queens, make it a NY Mets hat; Yankees gear will get you in trouble. and do not, for the love of G*D, wear anything that says "Boston" on it. do NOT wear a "I LOVE NY" or anything like that; it screams "tourist".

    do NOT look up too much: "gosh, honey, these buildings are awfully tall..." and don't point at stuff too much.

    if you carry cash, separate it: keep some in your wallet, some in your pockets, some in your shoes, etc. if possible, pay for everything with plastic. don't bother bringing a checkbook, nobody will take yours.

    when riding the subway, board the car closest to the stairs to the platform. never board one car, then move to another, unless it's to avoid trouble. do not wear headphones or anything like that.

    no jewelry, no jewelry, NO JEWELRY.

    get the number of the closest LEO precinct, and find out where the closest hospital is.

    do NOT rely on the kindness of strangers. if something happens, there will be hundreds of people who didn't see anything.

    do not carry a pack, unless you really have to. no totes, no purses, no fannypacks, no backpacks. carry what you need in your pockets.

    avoid closed stairwells if you can. they're as dangerous as elevators during an attack.

    only eat hot dogs if they're sabrett's brand. never nathan's.



    i hope this helped somewhat. like i said, i was a punk kid from NYC. the things i listed are all things that punks will look for, recognize, and jump on if they get the chance.
    Okay.....take it easy......NYC is alot better than Wash DC.....I remember the Dinkins year.....
    Common sense....don't walk down dark alleys or through the park at midnight. Alot of cops around the tourist areas because that's politically correct and NYC wants tourists. NYC is a great city and you can be a tourist, just be alert and not a Goober.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array mrreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    620

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKyle1 View Post
    Ok, I am headed to NYC in late September for 1 week. Does anyone have any suggestions as to protect myself while there? I mean other than the typical common sense stuff - be very aware of surroundings, avoid potential areas, etc... Any help is appreciated. I am going to feel nekked w/o my G27!
    Kyle
    I'm from Harlem, NYC are you serious......can someone give me some tips too

  7. #6
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Okay.....take it easy......NYC is alot better than Wash DC.....I remember the Dinkins year.....
    Common sense....don't walk down dark alleys or through the park at midnight. Alot of cops around the tourist areas because that's politically correct and NYC wants tourists. NYC is a great city and you can be a tourist, just be alert and not a Goober.
    i don't know anything about DC, as i've only been there once. as such, i'd never give advice about DC. i do know something about NYC, however; i was born there, i grew up there, so i feel qualified to dispense advice about NYC. the advice i gave was realistic. NYC isn't that great; he still can't carry his gun, can he? aside from the typical "pay attention, be alert" stuff everyone will repeat, i figured it would be helpful to offer some actual, specific tips.

  8. #7
    Member Array artificialgrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    85
    As someone who also grew up in NYC (left well over a decade ago), I'd have to agree with much of what Jah posted. Big emphasis on not looking like a tourist (or an easy mark).

    One thing to take into consideration though is how much NYC has changed in the last decade. My uncle just took a business/family visit trip up there and was very surprised at how different it has become. Per him, Manhattan has lost most, if not all, of it's former grittiness - that's it's more of a tourist attraction now. I'm not advocating going somewhere as densely populated as NYC and treating it like a visit to Candyland, but it isn't as bad as it used to be. I think having your rights trampled by the NYPD in the name of homeland security is almost as likely as confronting a BG there these days.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

  9. #8
    762
    762 is offline
    Senior Member Array 762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    720
    i moved from NYC last year....one tiny bit of advice from me...

    just don't look like a tourist!
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

  10. #9
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by artificialgrey View Post
    As someone who also grew up in NYC (left well over a decade ago), I'd have to agree with much of what Jah posted. Big emphasis on not looking like a tourist (or an easy mark).

    One thing to take into consideration though is how much NYC has changed in the last decade. My uncle just took a business/family visit trip up there and was very surprised at how different it has become. Per him, Manhattan has lost most, if not all, of it's former grittiness - that's it's more of a tourist attraction now. I'm not advocating going somewhere as densely populated as NYC and treating it like a visit to Candyland, but it isn't as bad as it used to be. I think having your rights trampled by the NYPD in the name of homeland security is almost as likely as confronting a BG there these days.

    note the emboldened sentence. i forgot this bit of important advice: avoid any interaction with the NYPD if possible. it seems they have a problem lately, with not being able to have peacable dealings with the public.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array JonInNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York State
    Posts
    4,207
    I grew up in NYC, and live north of the city today. It's really not as bad as some try to make it seem. Just dress normally and not "touristy", and enjoy the city, and have a good time!

    Since there is not much you can do in the way of real protection, you will have to go with the flow. Be aware, and have fun!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,166
    Wait I was under the impression a knife was a felony charge in the city. If the meets the requirements as a "Gravity Knife" I tried to look up the meaning of a "gravity knife" and from what I understand any tactical folder or knife that can be opened one handed is a "Gravity Knife" I have only seen one type of knife that I can't open one handed. It was Rusted SHUT! and it was a very small pocket knife. Like I said this is stuff what I was told. When I went to NYC to see my brother I took my Emerson Karambit. Afterwords I was informed by a friend form NY who is very tied into the defensive stuff in NY an informed me I was committing a Felony in NY. If I had to do it again I would take a cane and walk with a limp.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  13. #12
    New Member Array DrKyle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    S. Texas
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for all of the advice thus far. It has been a long time since I have been there - mid to late 90's. I grew up in Philly & we used to go to the city often... I guess getting older makes me look at things differently. Back then we traveled in a group of no less than 5 guys (most 6'+ & 250) so we didn't care too much as most people left us alone.
    Dr. Kyle
    "... the best laid plans go to $&*% when the buzzer goes off..."

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array KenInColo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    991
    All of the things posted earlier are true.

    I worked there off and on for 30 years, pre-Rudy. He really cleaned up mid-town Manhattan but that old saying "If you're going to a place where you think you'll have to carry, don't go." applies to NYC.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

  15. #14
    New Member Array MurphyTWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    6
    jahwarrior72, what do mean by carrying an OC? what is this?

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array JonInNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York State
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyTWD View Post
    jahwarrior72, what do mean by carrying an OC? what is this?
    I think he was referring to OC-10, a pepper spray:

    Counter Assault Self Defense, Personal Protection Pepper Spray
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •