Girlfriend scare - Page 2

Girlfriend scare

This is a discussion on Girlfriend scare within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by heavymetalman My girlfriend had a scare last night but the plus side is that she agreed to let me teach her about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    My girlfriend had a scare last night but the plus side is that she agreed to let me teach her about firearms

I had to work late so she ended up going to the gym alone. When she was walking to her car she noticed a SUV riding behind her slowly. She got in her car and waited for him to pass but he just sat there. (There were plenty of parking spaces, so he wasn't waiting for that) She decided to sit in her car and wait him out while keeping an eye on him. He eventually pulled forward only to circle around and wait again. She waited again, this time backing up and going the other direction when he moved. She called me and I told her to be absolutely sure that he was not following her before she went home.

I wouldn't call my girlfriend "anti" but she does not like guns because she is afraid of them. She complains when I have my .45 on the table when we are watching TV and wants me to put it away. She also never wanted to learn about them or shoot them. I managed to talk her into firing my .45 once and she fired one shot and handed it back to me and ran away. But after this event she has agreed to go to the range with me and even go to the gun show with me this weekend. I believe these may be signs of the apocalypse. She was also asking about the legality of carrying in her car. Yay for Texas Castle Doctrine!

I'm going to the show to pick up a Glock 30sf, but I'm going to try to see if the budget can manage a revolver for her as well. Any good suggestions on a wheelgun in the $300 area? I was thinking about a .38 but a .357(which I would use 38sp) would be nice too since I will most likely end up with it later when the scare wears off. I am going to try my best to keep her interest up and educate her on firearms and self defense. Wish me luck.
    Try to get her around other women who shoot or would like to learn to shoot. I would get her into a handgun safety class and back away. Hopefully, there's a class for women only. That's ideal. While you can keep a handgun in mind, let her take the class and make decisions. You and the instructor can steer her in the right direction if she's unsure. This way, you don't force anything on her. You make it seem like it's her idea. In the end, you get what you want and she learns about handguns. Who knows? You might even create a gun loving monster.

This is what my friends did when their significant others wanted to learn how to shoot. It worked for them, so I thought that I would pass it on.

Good luck!
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth87 View Post
    You know her best, so start her on what you think she'll be comfortable with. Personally though, I started with a .40, and I think that if I started with something smaller, I would get too comfortable with that, and not want to move onto something bigger. I'm glad she's interested in shooting now though! Good luck!
    First Welcome to the forum. Glad more women are joining the gang.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    The .22 is a good idea but then I would have to buy three guns......which I don't mind except for the cash. As far as the .357 goes, I was going to load it with .38 special when she shot it and I would also have the option of additional firepower later.
    The reason I mentioned starting her off with the 22 was because about 15 years ago while my wife and I were dating, she came out with me in the Nation Forest when I went out one day to shoot my 357. She wanted to try it and all I had with me were 357 target loads. She shot one time, handed me back the gun and said "I'm done" And she was done because I haven't been able to get her to shoot again since. I completely understand the money issue. I'm just letting you know what is at risk from my experience. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

My wife shot my Sig P229 .40 right off the bat. She had never even touched a firearm before the .40. We took the CCW class together (she didn't fill out the paperwork). She handled it like a champ and it has serious muzzle blast. She put 100 rounds through it. She said it was a little traumatizing. Her main problem is racking the slide.

Seems like a .22 would be good if you want to spend a lot of time just shooting. It would reduce cost and get used to the techniques.

Any general purpose standard .22 ought to be fine, don't need to go looking for a low power .22. +1 on having her attend a course geared to women. Many women are turned off to guns, as in many cases the " range" is a boys club and they feel intimidated and all eyes are on them. Imagine being the only guy in an aerobics or pilates class on your first day in the gym. GO slow and give her LOTs of encouragement. My wife was as anti as they come, when we first got married. I broke her in slow and now she loves shotgunning, CAS and shooting in general, has been known to bring home a new gun or two and has her CWL. She has taught other women to shoot who were anti or had just not been exposed to guns but wanted to learn. Wish you were closer, I'd have her help convert your girlfriend into a shooter, she is great a it. Good luck.

I agree with all the above. Start slowly. You .45 clearly scared her away. Have her take the TX CCW course. Tell her it is for the training and she can get the permit later, if she cares to, or not.

You two are probably soul mates and all, but people being the way we are she will be more receptive to a profetional trainer in a formal classroon setting than she ever will be toward you when it comes to firearms. It is kind of how MD's are not supposed to treat themselves and lawyers don't represent themselves in court.-Jay

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    +1 on not starting out too hot. The 22 really sounds like the best choice: remember, you're laying the groundwork for her self-protection for the rest of her life. Sure, you want her to carry a bazooka right now, but you're better off starting slow and getting to the goal rather than spooking her.

For later, I really like our SP-101, but it is pretty heavy. I also like my daughter's Bersa 380 CC: check them out if a smaller caliber seems warranted.

Yes, you're talking about money. Rough, isn't it - I'm with you! But it would seem a good investment.

The very best information for women and guns is here:
    Cornered Cat
    Great for guys too!
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

As far as the .357 goes, I was going to load it with .38 special when she shot it and I would also have the option of additional firepower later.
    The 38 spec. loaded light with 110 gr. wadcutters has just a bit more recoil than a .22 LR if the gun has any heft at all. The range of possibilities from there to really hot .357 loads is almost limitless.

I just had one of those light bulb above the head moments. I will get my G30sf and a .22 conversion kit. Everybody wins!

If she likes the Glock maybe she will end up with a G26 or whatever she decides she is comfortable with. Everyone who said let her decide is absolutely right.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I would start her off shooting with something small like a 22 until she is comfortable with hand guns and shooting in general. If you have her shoot something that is too much, she won't like it and you will have missed your opertunity. Just my .02 cents and lesson learned from the past. Good luck.
    +1 Ive been down that road too... if its not something she enjoys to shoot it will never fly...
    The only way I got my ex wife interested in shooting was to let her shoot glass bottles....paper didnt thrill her but watching a bottle explode that she shot made her day :)

I had to work late so she ended up going to the gym alone. When she was walking to her car she noticed a SUV riding behind her slowly. She got in her car and waited for him to pass but he just sat there. (There were plenty of parking spaces, so he wasn't waiting for that) She decided to sit in her car and wait him out while keeping an eye on him. He eventually pulled forward only to circle around and wait again. She waited again, this time backing up and going the other direction when he moved. She called me and I told her to be absolutely sure that he was not following her before she went home.
    He was probably waiting for her parking space. I always notice the people who go to the gym to work out go round and round and wait a long time for a parking spot closest to the building so they can go in and walk on the treadmill.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Get her a Pink Walther P22. My daughter LOVES this gun. easy to shoot, does not have the intimidating BLACK look. When she is ready you can move her up to a real calibre. 9MM or better. Keep the Walther and shoot it for fun.

The .22 is a good idea but then I would have to buy three guns......which I don't mind except for the cash. As far as the .357 goes, I was going to load it with .38 special when she shot it and I would also have the option of additional firepower later.
    I skipped some of the intervening posts, so it may have been mentioned, but: a box of .38 Spl. wadcutters would be both cheap and "pop-gun" like from an SP101. Man, if she has had an epiphany, get a cheaper Glock, and get her something decent.

Thanks everyone! Starting her off with a .22 seems to be popular and I definately agree. I have a .22 rifle and I will get her to shoot that, then move to a .22 pistol and then on up from there. What's a lower power .22 load? Yeah I know getting her to shoot the .45 wasn't a good idea but it is the only pistol caliber I own and I really don't think she would want to shoot the 12ga or AR15
    You need more guns!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links