Girlfriend scare

This is a discussion on Girlfriend scare within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend had a scare last night but the plus side is that she agreed to let me teach her about firearms I had to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend scare

Girlfriend scare

My girlfriend had a scare last night but the plus side is that she agreed to let me teach her about firearms

I had to work late so she ended up going to the gym alone. When she was walking to her car she noticed a SUV riding behind her slowly. She got in her car and waited for him to pass but he just sat there. (There were plenty of parking spaces, so he wasn't waiting for that) She decided to sit in her car and wait him out while keeping an eye on him. He eventually pulled forward only to circle around and wait again. She waited again, this time backing up and going the other direction when he moved. She called me and I told her to be absolutely sure that he was not following her before she went home.

I wouldn't call my girlfriend "anti" but she does not like guns because she is afraid of them. She complains when I have my .45 on the table when we are watching TV and wants me to put it away. She also never wanted to learn about them or shoot them. I managed to talk her into firing my .45 once and she fired one shot and handed it back to me and ran away. But after this event she has agreed to go to the range with me and even go to the gun show with me this weekend. I believe these may be signs of the apocalypse. She was also asking about the legality of carrying in her car. Yay for Texas Castle Doctrine!

I'm going to the show to pick up a Glock 30sf, but I'm going to try to see if the budget can manage a revolver for her as well. Any good suggestions on a wheelgun in the $300 area? I was thinking about a .38 but a .357(which I would use 38sp) would be nice too since I will most likely end up with it later when the scare wears off. I am going to try my best to keep her interest up and educate her on firearms and self defense. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by heavymetalman; August 20th, 2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: To clarify the .357

2. Remove Ads

A good condition used SP101 loaded with +P .38 Spl. would do her well.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I would start her off shooting with something small like a 22 until she is comfortable with hand guns and shooting in general. If you have her shoot something that is too much, she won't like it and you will have missed your opertunity. Just my .02 cents and lesson learned from the past. Good luck.

Start her with something she can manage! She is better off with a low power .22 that she will touch, than a .357 she can barely look at. If she gets comfortable move her up. I started my girlfriend on a .32 auto, now her fav is an SKS. She would not have touched it had it been her first experience with firearms.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I have taught a couple of cousins who were very afraid of guns to shoot. Putting 50 rounds through a bolt action .22 at coke cans is a great start, then move to pistols/revolvers and increase the caliber.
    It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
    -Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I would start her off shooting with something small like a 22 until she is comfortable with hand guns and shooting in general. If you have her shoot something that is too much, she won't like it and you will have missed your opertunity. Just my .02 cents and lesson learned from the past. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Start her with something she can manage! She is better off with a low power .22 that she will touch, than a .357 she can barely look at. If she gets comfortable move her up. I started my girlfriend on a .32 auto, now her fav is an SKS. She would not have touched it had it been her first experience with firearms.
    The .22 is a good idea but then I would have to buy three guns......which I don't mind except for the cash. As far as the .357 goes, I was going to load it with .38 special when she shot it and I would also have the option of additional firepower later.

I have been having the same porblem with my wife. I managed to get her to the range and let her plink about 200 rounds out of a .22 auto. Once she got the hang of that I moved her up to my XD .45. She could have easily qualified with it and now shoots regularly with me. She will be taking her CCW class next month. And carry an XD M .40. Take baby steps and you can convert her over to our side!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

You know her best, so start her on what you think she'll be comfortable with. Personally though, I started with a .40, and I think that if I started with something smaller, I would get too comfortable with that, and not want to move onto something bigger. I'm glad she's interested in shooting now though! Good luck!

DEFINITELY start her off SLOW. If you scare her the first time with big boom and recoil, you've lost her for ever, as in your .45 episode, one rd and she never wanted to be around it again. If you don't have a .22, then find a friend you can borrow one from. A small revolver with even target .38 loads might be a bit much from someone who is already " afraid" of guns as you stated. Once she is comfortable, then let her pick her own gun, with a bit of guidance from you. Forcing something on her she doesn't like will only end up not being used. Yeah, you may get a hand me down, but what has that accomplished, if your girl is now once again unprotected and afraid of guns ? Good luck and hope you are successful.

I suggest you get her into an NRA's First Steps class. It will teach her all about the differences between autos and wheel guns, safety, calibers, cleaning and more. Let her decide, don't you decide what is best for her. Starting her out with a .45 IMHO was not a good idea.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

It's great that she's interested in defending herself now, and wants to learn. I'd echo what some others have said about starting on a weapon that won't be too intimidating in terms of recoil.

If you have a .22, start her shooting it first, then work up to a centerfire piece. Remember, the lightweight snubby .38s are going to have a stout recoil and especially loud report (be sure to get her some really good ear muffs). A .357 snubby might be especially intimidating, as a starting point. And the 2" barrel is not forgiving of poor technique.

On the other hand, if the weapon fits her hand well, she may do just fine with a .38. The revolver has the virtue of being very uncomplicated for a novice.

A friend of mine recently picked up a Smith & Wesson Model 36 w/ 3" barrel and it's a sweet shooter. He got a really good deal on it used, so you might be able to find something similar.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

jfl
    I have taught quite a few people to shoot in my life ...

I agree with the advice given here.

Start with a .22; you probably can rent one at your local range.
    It has to be fun !
    Good hearing protection is a must; ear plugs + ear muffs if possible; when you are nervous (and she will be) noises makes you jump.
    It has to be fun !
    Then after a few sessions, if you can find/borrow/rent one, a 6" .38 revolver is an easy transition especially with light loads. A .357 will work - takes the same loads.
    At that point the rest will be easy.
    But remember: It has to be fun !

Good luck, keep us posted !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Most gun ranges will rent guns I would suggest let her shoot a 22 and then try different guns to find one she likes,also a lot of times at the range most shooters will let you try out a gun if you are interested in trying one before you buy it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

EW3
    I'd recommend a softer recoiling 9mm like a Springfield XD-9 or similiar. Definitely NOT a .357! That will only serve to turn her off guns as she'll think they all are brutal to shoot like the .357 can be. Also I don't recommed a .380 at this time, as they can be a handful.

+1 on finding a range where she can test out several to find out what she likes.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Thanks everyone! Starting her off with a .22 seems to be popular and I definately agree. I have a .22 rifle and I will get her to shoot that, then move to a .22 pistol and then on up from there. What's a lower power .22 load? Yeah I know getting her to shoot the .45 wasn't a good idea but it is the only pistol caliber I own and I really don't think she would want to shoot the 12ga or AR15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links