Defensive Carry banner

Favorite Carry Holster

6K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 · (Edited)
I usually go with a Belt holster be it IWB or OWB 95% of the time every now and then i will pack a shoulder holster but more i early spring/fall Than now.

I even wonder with the heavy coats right now how much it will slow me down. So far i have avoided a shoulder holster just becuse of similar worrys like yours.

Right now the Coat helps with hiding anything right now. espically if i dont plan on taking it off.

Also i like desantis cozy partner but plan on buy a Triskel

To try out on the Glock before i start switching everything to it.

#3 ·
Snowdoc. I use a 3 slot holster for winter carry. Also wear a fleece shirt under my coat. I usually leave the coat open and have the fleece tucked under the holster. If I am going in somewhere I am taking my coat off I pull the fleece down over the gun. Seems to work well and keep my pistol accessable. Also I use a HK USP in the winter for easy manipulation with gloves on. (large levers and big trigger guard)

#6 ·
Shoulder Carry

I shoulder carry all the time Doc. I love that mode of carry.
I've been carrying in an Alessi shoulder rig for years.
With practice it VERY FAST to draw from the shoulder...especially with an alessi pull through holster with no retention strap.

#9 ·
I have recently switched to a shoulder rig for my Kimber Ultra II, and I really like the comfort and concealibility. BUT always a but, I am concerned about the assessiblity of the firearm in a time of need. especially in a situation where it is under two layers of clothes. in MI, I have my coat on this time of year, plus I wear a fleece vest to conceal while I am indoors where I have to take the coat off.
I comfort is great and no worries of flashing in public places. PLUS i can carry two extra mags totally concealed. I would love peoples thoughts on this. Because I have thought of a high rise rig for the belt?
thanks DOC
-----people ask why I carry....well look at the avatar pic on the profile.------ANY QUESTIONS??

#10 ·
what about...

what about an --in the middle of back holster for a shorty 1911.
any use one of these? I guess if you wear one of these, it is always conceal to you! haha :smile: as I know I can't see back there.
The problem I have is the comfort aspect of sitting with it...any experiences with this? anyone.
i don't mind the shoulder rig as it is comfortable, but in the summer, I think there may be issues. anywhere in warm climates and how.

#11 ·
I found a SOB holster for me has issues . Sitting, printing when bending over , accidentaly mag. release while sitting . Also the chance ya may fall on it. Doesn't seem pleasant to my spine.

#12 ·
I like my Beltster. Non-moving, secure, and unobtrusive if you remove the pistol from it.

Just ordered a Max Con V. According to the customers on this board, I'm about to become a very happy convert to the IWB club. :biggrin:

#13 ·
I have two Tucker IWB's. A Texas Heritage for my Glock, and a Cover Up for my 642. I tried a lot of kydex IWB's but didn't find one that was right for me.

#14 ·
Not new pics but - here is my Eagle Defender made for me by Kevin of K&D - suits my 226 just fine and also actually, 220 and 228 sit there well too :smile: Holds in nice and tight - suits me totally.

#15 ·
I put the Titanium snubbie in my jacket pocket during the cold months for easy grabing whilst I am on the move and keep my massive G22 ready IWB style for indoors normaly covered with a light vest. BTW the snubbie then goes in the vest pocket, that dam thing is so light you can forget you are even healed!

#17 ·
I love my two COM IWB holster made for the Kahr 9mm's and CZ-40B respectively by Eric Larsen at HBE Speciality Leather. Awesome stuff.

I'm also becoming a fan of holstermaker Ron Graham. I purchased one of his Blackbird IWB holsters which is the same basic style as the COM IWB but rides higher. Graham made one up for me with a sweatshield for my Steyr M and S series semiautos. Only $59 delivered!

Here are photos of the Blackbird from the front....

....the rear (note Graham's stamp on the sweatshield)....

....and in a comparion photo with my HBE COM holster for my CZ-40B.

Note that the Blackbird has a sealed bottom. If I get another Blackbird I may ask Mr. G if he can keep the bottom open like Larsen's COM holsters.

#18 ·
Let's face it, there are a ton of holster maker's out there and it isn't practical to try them all. There are many holster's that I like that I have seen! some in person and most from the net. That said I have determand for me I like a certain type of holster and hadn't found one until I saw the Brommeland Max-Con V IWB. It was everything that I was looking for and didn't really know it until I saw it! if that make's sense. A holster is like your carry weapon! it has to fit you, you have to like it and it has to be functional. The Max-Con does this for me.

http://brommelandgunleather.com/

In the summer when wearing short's and all I like the Law Concealment System, the LCS-II work's best for me.

http://www.handgunconcealment.com/LCSII.htm

As far as sholder holsters go! haven't tried them yet and doubt that I will. I like IWB for concealment and OWB for the range, don't like paddle holsters either.

Ti.

#19 ·
I agree with Rocky on the SOB holster, seems like a good idea but in reality it has serious issues as mentioned. For me, I've found a fairly low-end production holster that fits the bill perfectly in this Galco OWB and mag pouches. It's contoured to fit the body close, the gun has a solid "click-fit" and is well made.

#20 ·
HighNoon Slideguard

I have a holster draw that says "take me, take me" when I open it up. I keep going back to my Highnoon Slideguards (OWB worn strongside at 3-4 O'clock)) for Ruger P97 and Kahr PM9. Great holsters...well made, fit great, good retention and very comfortable.

We're fortunate to have a lot of options in holsters from many great holster makers...eventually, most folks find the one that's right for them.

#22 ·
My favorite OWB is a Tucker HF1 with a double mag pouch. High Noon also makes a good holster, but I like the Tucker better. About two week's ago I received my Alessi Bodyguard shoulder holster with pull through snap. I haven't had a shoulder holster before, but read only good stuff about the Alessi. I can already tell it is going to be easy to wear and very comfortable. If anyone is interested in a shoulder holster the Alessi is one to consider.
Dillon

#23 ·
Holster Heaven

Deke45 said:
I agree with Rocky on the SOB holster, seems like a good idea but in reality it has serious issues as mentioned. For me, I've found a fairly low-end production holster that fits the bill perfectly in this Galco OWB and mag pouches. It's contoured to fit the body close, the gun has a solid "click-fit" and is well made.
That is the Galco "concealable" model and I already have one in a thumbreak for a 1911. But I'm getting another one to go with my new H&K USP 45 that will be open topped. Very comfortable, very smooth, fast draw. That plus my new Blade-Tech OWB holster should take care of me.

I love Sam Andrews, but he has gotten just a tad to pricey for my blood.

#24 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
That is the Galco "concealable" model and I already have one in a thumbreak for a 1911. But I'm getting another one to go with my new H&K USP 45 that will be open topped. Very comfortable, very smooth, fast draw.
You are correct EX, it is the "concealable" series. Nice comfortable holster, very well made, and a good value for the money. I CCW as well as IDPA with mine...do you? I also like the quick detach "clip" single mag pouches, although I also have some single and double
"thru belt" concealable series mag pouches.

#25 ·
Galco: Best Value IMHO

Deke45 said:
You are correct EX, it is the "concealable" series. Nice comfortable holster, very well made, and a good value for the money. I CCW as well as IDPA with mine...do you? I also like the quick detach "clip" single mag pouches, although I also have some single and double
"thru belt" concealable series mag pouches.
I got mine for my 1911 which I no longer carry, but I do at times compete IDPA with it. I plan on getting another of this model for my new H&K USP 45. Last time, I wussed out and got it with a thumb break. This time, strictly open top. I think the "Concealable" is probably one of the prettiest holsters I've ever seen.

The "J" hook mag holders are all I ever use. Easy on and off and super secure and available for both double and single stack mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.