What does the law say on this?

This is a discussion on What does the law say on this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Concealed means concealed and I'm not arguing that, but what happens if someone somehow figures out that you have a firearm. They freak, and thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the law say on this?

What does the law say on this?

Concealed means concealed and I'm not arguing that, but what happens if someone somehow figures out that you have a firearm. They freak, and thinking that they're gonna play hero try and take your weapon? Is that considered battery? Assault? To what length does the law endorse going to in order to put a stop to it?
    Just to stir the pot a little, suppose it's not a stranger. Suppose it's an acquaintance or friend that doesn't know you carry? I'm thinking Securing the firearm by any means necessary with a very short progression from non-lethal to lethal force is in order, but the thought of having to shoot an ignorant comrade doesn't appeal to me. What do ya'll and the law say about it?
    I realize it sounds a little far fetched, but I just read about it happening to one of our own. From what I understand the bystanders subdued the idiot before he got himself hurt, but it really brought the point home that it is a reality. I carry everywhere legal, and don't share that knowledge with many. I would like to think that most people are smart enough to leave somebody with a gun alone, but I shouldn't think, it's dangerous. Thoughts anyone?

2. Remove Ads

First, I will say you are worrying too far into this. I doubt someone would follow that course if suspecting you are carrying. If they did they would get shot trying. They would be stealing, and then in possession of a deadly weapon for which they have no licence.

Quote Originally Posted by surprise View Post
    First, I will say you are worrying too far into this. I doubt someone would follow that course if suspecting you are carrying. If they did they would get shot trying. They would be stealing, and then in possession of a deadly weapon for which they have no licence.
    x2

I think that person would first call the police before they ever thought about attacking somebody with a gun.

but then there's some people who always try to be the hero and do things themselves...

I guess be ready for anything. In a grab for a gun on you, whomever it is opens themselves up. Concentration is on one thing, and arms will not be used to defend that elbow to the nose, that swing and sidestep to the left while you do the kung fu leg whip action. Once close enough, a side kick to the inside of the outside leg knee cap. Drawing a pistol that's being grabbed for by someone else (immediately) could be a bad mistake. Judge people's demeanor around you....think when you're being 'sized up'.....it will likely be close enough to raise the hairs on your neck. If you're unable to distance yourself quickly enough, protect that weapon, turn, twist, and take an oblique path away from the attack to gain distance. CQB....do it UFC style, knees, elbows, the leg kick, the head butt, and take 'em down. If you're in the middle of a grocery aisle.....grab a 1lb can of tomatoes and hit 'em in the head! Once they shake of the daze, they'll see all the tomato sauce and pass out.

Remember wack doodle #1 in seattle a few months ago who tried to take a piece from wack doodle#2 legally(maybe) carrying on his ankle .... and #1 got pistol whipped for his effort to protect and serve.

A few others took some lead too.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Remember wack doodle #1 in seattle a few months ago who tried to take a piece from wack doodle#2 legally(maybe) carrying on his ankle .... and #1 got pistol whipped for his effort to protect and serve.
    theres yer answer !!!
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Nobody touches my guns but me.

That's plain and simple. I have had to use my Retention Training before, and may have to again. If you attempt to grab my gun somebody's going to get seriously hurt.

It's a conditioned response for me. I don't even think about it, just react. If your friend is dumb enough to try and take your gun, you need a new friend.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    An attack on me is quite a bit different than one on the majority of our members. I'm now handicapped due to severe lumbar arthritis and spinal stenosis I have chronic pain, and my ability to engage in any hand to hand combat is extremely limited. I'm now so stiff that an attempt to perform a kick may simply cause my groin to be strained, pr hamstring, etc, depending on the type of kick. As far as leg kicks are concerned, that's about all that I could possibly manage. #0 years or so ago, I could kick someone in the nose with enough power to at least make them seriously think about the wisdom of any further aggression. A similar attempt now would simply rip out my groin! That said, if I were attacked with an attempt to take my gun, which is located on either my right hip or right pocket (some days both), would have me working with my right hand to try to maintain control, as my left hand draws my SOG Flash II, flicks it open, and drives it into the person trying to take my gun. Given my physical condition, I view ANY physical attack on me one that could cause severe physical harm, and I will do what ever I need to to end the attack, up to and including deadly force. I simply will not allow someone to risk making me crippled any further than I already am.

Last I heard was that Wack Doodle #1 in Seattle actually started the fight. This is contrary to all the conclusions that almost everyone jumped to originally after hearing some rumors. In fact it seems that Wack Doodle #1 went there with intentions of starting something.

But back to the OP I think that case described would be so rare that I wouldn't worry about it. There are too many other things to keep my mind occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    .....grab a 1lb can of tomatoes and hit 'em in the head! Once they shake of the daze, they'll see all the tomato sauce and pass out.

No matter who it is, grabing for ANY gun is a no-no! (friend or otherwise) I think, like surprise already posted, your getting way far into this. If this is a fear because someone around you has stated that'll be thier actions if they "saw a gun"............then it's probley just 'big talk' and ignore 'em. Concealed is unseen and if it is seen AND grabed for, evade and escape. If that's not an option, ruin thier day.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Anybody that tries to remove any property from you is committing a robbery,gun, wallet , whatever I would immediately be in fear for my life,when I was an LEO we practiced retention techniques to prevent a possible gun grab.If you have a BUg in your off hand waistband or pocket use your stronghand and shove the gun into your holster hard keeping downward force on the grip at that point draw your backup and shoot til the threat stops.or if no BUG give him a shot with your palm into his nose or chop his throat should make his hands go up at which point step back draw and hold at gunpoint or if he continues attack do what you have to to stop the threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A simple spin and elbow to the head will stop this from happening. I wouldn't draw yet, I would complete my turn and stabilize myself and make sure of what is going on.

Then again I might just holler out, "Don't touch me there, it makes me uncomfortable!"

You never know
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I appreciate all the replies. I do carry a knife as well, but I've carried a knife on my right side for years, I'll bet it's gonna be a pain to train myself to carry one on the left. Doesn't do me any good to have a knife on the right side when my gun's there too. Sounds like an airsoft and some force on force training is in order for me.

I don't think I'm reading too far into this at all. It does happen, and has happened to people on this forum. I like the boyscouts mantra, that has a lot to do with why I carry. I'm not one to live in fear, but I think it's a good idea to be prepared for anything. Carrying a gun thinking that no one would dare touch it seems a little over optimistic to me.

If someone is trying to take your gun, I think it is fair to assume they intend to use it on you. I would consider it an assault with a deadly weapon and act accordingly. The results of this could be fatal to you, your loved ones or innocent bystanders.

anyone who'd try and grab a gun from someone, who wasn't brandishing it, has serious problems. mental problems, and the problem of having a broken bone or two, if it were me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links