Swimming

This is a discussion on Swimming within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ninpo28 LOL, I used to be a pool boy. There's not much brain power involved when skimming a pool, so the mind ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swimming

Quote Originally Posted by ninpo28 View Post
    LOL, I used to be a pool boy. There's not much brain power involved when skimming a pool, so the mind starts to hatch ideas! The life of a pool boy is much different than the adult film industry would suggest.
    *Cancels employment application*

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    We have a privacy fence and no external gate latches, so someone would have to scale the fence to get into our backyard. But it's more a privacy thing than it is a security thing. Hate those tan lines.

I will add this; I would not live in an area where I was worried about going for a swim without a gun.
    + 1 !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Time to buy a spear gun and have them on a underwater gun rack!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Glock in the skimmer maybe?
    Make sure you get the marine spring cups, then.

No one has mentioned the speedo holster?

sorry but I don't have any pictures..

DC Founder
    My backyard is pretty secure (7' block wall, locked gates) so I don't worry about it when we're in the pool. If I was, I would probably put it on a towel beside the pool with something over it. We are not "splashers" so getting it wet wouldn't be a problem and the dog would probably keep them busy for a while....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I put it in my shoes. When I fail to do this as 0500 this morning I risk forgetting and grabbing my clothes as they were free of anything.

Good, secure gates and a large dog (preferably two) like a Doberman or Rotwieler should be enough to discourage all but the most determined criminal and then he'd have to make some racket to get into your back yard. While he tangles with the dog you're fetching your Roscoe.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    We have a privacy fence and no external gate latches, so someone would have to scale the fence to get into our backyard. But it's more a privacy thing than it is a security thing. Hate those tan lines.

I will add this; I would not live in an area where I was worried about going for a swim without a gun.
    Please, tns0038, do NOT provide photos of your no-line tan.

I have a swim suit that I got at Walmart that has a zippered pocket on the thigh.

If you have a pocket gun like a Kel-Tec or a Ruger LCP it would fit perfectly in the pocket. Just stick the gun inside a Zip-Lock Freezer Bag to keep it dry and you should be good to go.

Also Aloksak Waterproof Bags are quite a bit more durable than the regular zip-lock baggies (6mm PVC type clear film with zip closure.) They are certified waterproof and maintain waterproofing for 2 weeks at a depth of 200 ft.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

BG can't swim. In general, they are scared of water. Why motes are so successful. If you are still worried, remember swimmer 101, the buddy system. Take turns manning the turrents.

Honestly, I go unarmed (but take a pocket knife). I think about it often when I go swimming (my house is not on a lake but I have access to swim lots). If I had a pool, Dogs are always a good option. I have thought about storing a gun in a hidden safe or have a shotgun rack in my shed. I have not, as I'm not sure of the legal issues.

If the pool was in my back yard, I guess covering with a towel is an option, but just sounds like the start of a "some guy's kid shot themselves" story. At the same time, without the gun it sounds like a "if only I had my gun" story.

Tough call. Interesting reads on this thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links