Writing a letter about a concealed carry issue.

This is a discussion on Writing a letter about a concealed carry issue. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I went to a paint store and I noticed a xeroxed copy of a note in the window about "no firearms", it even mentioned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing a letter about a concealed carry issue.

VIP Member

Yesterday I went to a paint store and I noticed a xeroxed copy of a note in the window about "no firearms", it even mentioned that it applied to licensed carriers as well. I might write a letter to the local store or corporate office and suggest to them that they at least allow legal permit holders to carry concealed.

I've read a lot of excellent letters that different members have posted on here. Some of them have been Letters to the Editor, or to a corporation, etc. Most of the letters are supportive of 2A issues, or concealed carry, etc.

When I began to compose my letter to the paint store I wanted to reference some of the model letters I had read on this forum but I couldn't remember where they were. I wanted to be sure and "cover all the bases" that I intended to write about. Many of the letters in the old threads are very well done and eloquent and would make great models.

I'd like to use this link and ask members to post those sample letters here, or any sample letters that would be appropriate to concealed issues. If we get a good collection we might be able to turn it into a sticky or put it in a reference forum for future use.

I'm a pretty avid letter-writer and believer in the "power of the pen". Letter-writing forum members have a big influence on others. We don't really need to keep convincing ourselves, but by writing letters, we expand our influence so it convinces others.

If you know of any, or have written appropriate letters please post them here so we can have a collection to use as a reference. Of course you can leave out your name and any other private info. Just the body of the letter would suffice.

Thanks
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

in my experience, I sympathise with you, is that no matter how much fact, logic and reason a person can use on this issue and with gun-control in general is that you will be met with hear-say, feelings and emotions replacing facts from someone who can't fathom that there are evil people in this world.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Just tell them you are taking your business to someplace that appreciates law abiding individuals with disposable income.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Links to letters that may give you a nudge in the right direction, best of luck

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...se-read-2.html

VIP Member
    In my state the sign carries no weight of law so I probably didn't see it!

If I did, I would write a letter to the store's manager explaining why I was no longer a customer and CC it to corporate. I wouldn't bother with all the 2A rhetoric... I doubt it'd make any difference.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

If I did, I would write a letter to the store's manager explaining why I was no longer a customer and CC it to corporate. I wouldn't bother with all the 2A rhetoric... I doubt it'd make any difference.
    what sign?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

If it ain't 30.06 compliant I could care less what kind of sign/letter they have in the window I just walk on by. I figure if they really didn't want my (and my gun) in the store they would make it legal.
    Thanks,
    Rock

In my state the local posting has no weight of law per se. However, if you are "made" they can ask you to leave the premises immediately. If you don't leave they can prosecute for trespassing.

I regularly disregard these kinds of postings. I have never been "made" so the question of being asked to leave has never been raised. I would most certainly leave if asked to do so.

Since I have never been made the question is pretty much moot. I go do my business and leave. No harm no foul!

I do, however, tend to take my business elsewhere.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

i have an idea, i dont have my CCW permit yet and dont know all the ins and outs of signage in LA, but i know the law states i cant carry (when i get my permit) in any business with a sign stating no firearms(i havent had the time to do more research yet, and had to sell all my pistols to get thru school (currently looking for a 1911). but with this topic i have an idea. how about writing a generic style letter stating something to the affect of whats below and have it as a sticky for reference or even use when confronted by this issue.

"there are XXX number of law abiding citizens in this state whom, are statistically less likely to commit a crime, will help prevent and detur *spelling* crime, and have extensive training to lawfully, and willfuly carry a concealed weapon. we have noticed your business has a sign stating no firearms. we want to respect your signage and we will take our patronage elsewhere from now on but wanted to give you the oppurtunity to respond to our request of allowing law abiding citizens with CCW permits and firearms training, many of whom are military and police, to do business with you. thank you for your consideration."

i know my grammer is horrible a well as spelling but something to this effect would be, IMO, a good letter to send to business' preventing carry on premises. what are yalls thoughts?
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Thanks for taking action and not being another sheep in the heard. Good luck!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I usually just ignore those signs but remember the next time I need to buy something they sell. The next time, I'll usually go somewhere diffeferent. I don't like supporting places that don't support my constutional rights but sometimes it is cheaper and more convienent if you are already there.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Awhile back I went with my dad when he was finalizing a deal on $20,000 new car. He doesn't know I carry. I was carrying and noticed a sign banning firearms in the dealership. This was in KC Mo or KS, I can't remember which. I was visiting from Indiana. When I got back home I wrote a letter to the dealer ship telling them that I had come by to purchase a certain auto that day but after noticing there sign I couldn't complete the purchase and had to leave. Never heard back from them either.

I always include something about the money I intended to spend and I always right letters. However, we don't have that problem here in IN with the law. Its just corporate policy so I don't care.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Stay armed and stay silent. The sign probably carries no weight if it is a simple Xerox copy.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Sign, sign I don't see no sign. Same with Utah.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Try some of these

No Gun No Money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links