Out-of-state permits...........

This is a discussion on Out-of-state permits........... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Minnesota and use a Utah permit as my primary carry permit. As matter of fact it's my only permit. It works in ...

Thread: Out-of-state permits...........

Out-of-state permits...........

I live in Minnesota and use a Utah permit as my primary carry permit. As matter of fact it's my only permit. It works in my state along with 27 others and renewal is a breeze.

Anyone else here use a out-of-state permit as their primary permit?

2. Remove Ads

I do something very similar to that. I have my primary South Carolina CWP, but I got the New Hampshire permit that allows to carry in many other states. I did this before Florida made their permit available in so many states.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by aphophas View Post
    I do something very similar to that. I have my primary South Carolina CWP, but I got the New Hampshire permit that allows to carry in many other states. I did this before Florida made their permit available in so many states.
    You can't use your NH permit to carry in SC. I believe that the OP was saying that he lived in MN but did not have a MN permit. That will work in some states but not in SC.

I understand. I just use my NH permit in other states that SC doesn't have an agreement with. Meaning that I use my NH more than my SC one.. :-)
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Many states, Georgia being one, require you to have their permit if you're a resident. So the Georgia GFL is my primary.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Many states, Georgia being one, require you to have their permit if you're a resident. So the Georgia GFL is my primary.
    Are you sure? Check the site below. It shows that GA reciprocates with many other states. Even if you're a GA resident, you could have a out-of-state permit from a state like Utah and you can carry in GA without a GA permit.

Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mikie View Post
    Are you sure? Check the site below. It shows that GA reciprocates with many other states. Even if you're a GA resident, you could have a out-of-state permit from a state like Utah and you can carry in GA without a GA permit.

Handgunlaw.us
    I don't know about GA but many states require that you obtain an instate permit within a certain amount of time after moving there and any resident permit that you have much be converted to non-resident. That is why in some states is is important that your permit address and DL address match.

Many folks living in AZ had only a UT permit. AZ now requires an AZ permint if living there even though they accept a UT permit with visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa View Post
    Many folks living in AZ had only a UT permit. AZ now requires an AZ permint if living there even though they accept a UT permit with visitors.
    You are correct. I just found this Q&A in AZ's gun laws.

Will all other State's permits will be recognized here in AZ?
    If the permit and permit holder meets these conditions: 1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state. 2. The permit or license holder is all of the following: (a) Not a resident of this state. (b) Legally present in this state. (c) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state. This means all government (state, county, city) issued bonafide CCW permits will be recognized in AZ if held by a nonresident AND the permit is valid throughout the state of issue. AZ residents MUST carry concealed using an AZ permit - no other permits will be legal, even if there was a previously signed reciprocal agreement. The DPS will enter into new written agreements with states that require a written agreement. Bottom line: AZ residents cannot use another state's permit to carry concealed in AZ.

Same question answered in Minnesota gun laws.

Minnesota laws authorize individuals holding gun permits from the following states to carry in Minnesota:
    Alaska Arkansas Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Michigan Missouri New Mexico Nevada Ohio Oklahoma Tennessee Texas Utah Wyoming Please note that the permit issued by your state does not supersede Minnesota’s laws or regulations. Legal conduct in your state may not be legal in Minnesota.
    Last edited by Magnum Mikie; August 23rd, 2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Add info.

It seems this is starting toward a trend of getting residents to get their own permits. A number of non-resident permits are also requiring home-state permits. I"m applying for CT,NH,ME,PA, and FL. FL is the only one NOT requiring me to have my home state permit.

If we could just get universal recognition of permits, everyone would just have home-state only.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Nevada requires Nevada residents to have a Nevada permit (within 60 days of becoming a Nevada resident).

NRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY

Ken

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I am a Montana resident but I have 2 offices in Utah so have a UT non-res permit. I travel alot with work and my UT permit is valid in more states than if I had a MT permit. I do not have a resident permit for MT.

If the FBI approves my background check, why shouldnt my permit be good in any state? Sometimes our government over-thinks things.

ETA ... I have found errors in the past on handgunlaw.us, I dont trust that site for accuracy. YMMV
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I am a Montana resident but I have 2 offices in Utah so have a UT non-res permit. I travel alot with work and my UT permit is valid in more states than if I had a MT permit. I do not have a resident permit for MT.

If the FBI approves my background check, why shouldnt my permit be good in any state? Sometimes our government over-thinks things.

ETA ... I have found errors in the past on handgunlaw.us, I dont trust that site for accuracy. YMMV
    Here's another.

CCW Concealed Carry Laws by State

Being a resident of MN and having a only Utah permit would get you in trouble in Colo. Colo & many other states, only honor permits held by residents of the state of issue.

I have my UT non-res permit also, even though UT honors my Colo permit. I often make recreational visits to Mesquite & LV, NV. NV does not recognize Colo's permit but they do honor the UT non-res.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mikie View Post

Handgunlaw.us
    Yes you can obtain out of state permits to widen travel capabilities just as I've done. But within Georgia, since I'm a resident, I have to use a Georgia GFL. I've made several calls about this. Besides, it's not that difficult getting a Georgia permit.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Links