National park carry???????????

National park carry???????????

This is a discussion on National park carry??????????? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone hear anything new on the national parks changing the rules? I thought August 8th was the deadline....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National park carry???????????

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Exclamation National park carry???????????

Anyone hear anything new on the national parks changing the rules? I thought August 8th was the deadline.

I think it was the deadline to receive opinions on the proposed changed. I don't think there is a deadline to make any changes but I may be wrong.

Yes, that was just the dealine set for taking comments from the public.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

oh, so i take it theirs not gonna be much change im sure then. One of those sweep it under the rug matters.

I have a fear (maybe irrational) of bears. When I was 3 walking in the woods with an older brother and cousins (they were around 15) we ran into, and away from, a bear. I was grabbed and carried. I don't recall / did not know all the details, like if the bear was charging, etc.

17 or so years later I meet my wife. Her family would go watch bears eat at a junk pile in upper MI when she was younger. No fear of bears. She always want to take overnight trips to places like Yellowstone. 15 years (9+ of that married) and I still will not budge.

The bears spends every moment of the day practicing his skills. I spend most of my time working with my hands or doing something at the computer. The one thing that might make an encounter fair is my well developed hand-eye skills and a gun.

Forget the bears, I was shooting with a visiting friend today. He was stationed in Alaska (he is still active duty Air Force). He has had minor confrontations with bears and flown / landed in combat zones. Just today he told me the greatest scare of his life was comming across an elk (maybe moose) heffer and her two calfs walking on a trail.

I've been to a few national parks. I don't go in very deep. If I was allowed to carry, I might be more adventurous.

I think the National Park Service bureaucrats will drag their feet until they see which candidate gets elected on November 4th. Then if a certain candidate gets elected, they will drag their feet some more until January 20th. After January 20th, they will announce that the rule isn't changing.

Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    I think the National Park Service bureaucrats will drag their feet until they see which candidate gets elected on November 4th. Then if a certain candidate gets elected, they will drag their feet some more until January 20th. After January 20th, they will announce that the rule isn't changing.
    That's the way things work these days i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    I disagree. They will take until near the end of the year then make their recommendation. That is just normal for a process like this. So was the extended comment period that just ended. There is a strong possibility that this will resolve in our favor.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    I disagree. They will take until near the end of the year then make their recommendation. That is just normal for a process like this. So was the extended comment period that just ended. There is a strong possibility that this will resolve in our favor.
    Exactly, I think people are being far too pessimistic. There are no guarantees to be sure but the head of the DOI has gone on record supporting the change....hopefully the comment period and it's unfortunate extension is merely a formality to making the change.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Lets just keep our fingers crossed it goes out way.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

All governmental agency who govern public land, wildlife, fish etc. have to have these public opinion comment periods. Some like the FWC here in Florida do it as public meetings.

And from my past experience in working with two of these agencies as an advisor, I'll say they never request public opinion unless they think it's a good idea. But, as others have said, it takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    oh, so i take it theirs not gonna be much change im sure then. One of those sweep it under the rug matters.
    There may be no change at all. The antigunners are going to fight this. They're still ticked off about Washington DC.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

If the rule is changed and Obama wins the election, the rule will be rescinded in his inauguration speech on Jan. 20th.

If McCain wins, the rule change will remain in effect for the next four years.

Then on Jan. 20th, 2012, President Palin will require that at least one person in every automobile entering a National Park have access to one assault rifle and/or handgun, and if you don't have one, one will be provided for you while you are in the park.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    Then on Jan. 20th, 2012, President Palin will require that at least one person in every automobile entering a National Park have access to one assault rifle and/or handgun, and if you don't have one, one will be provided for you while you are in the park.
    Great Reply! It's a rifle! Only the Dems and Brady bunch call them assault rifles!

I am really really really pulling for them to change the law to allow carry.
    It has to be one of the most pointless laws there is.

I LOVE to travel in the mountains on NC, VA, and TN.
    You just about cant go without winding up in a park.
    Shoot I went to Gatlinburg TN a week or so ago and just left the .45 at the house. Because if you travel one way or the other your in a national park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links