Carring In NC Prior to CCW Permit?

This is a discussion on Carring In NC Prior to CCW Permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Working on NC CCW permit. How can I legally carry my pistol in my car? Thanks...

Thread: Carring In NC Prior to CCW Permit?

Carring In NC Prior to CCW Permit?

Working on NC CCW permit. How can I legally carry my pistol in my car?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Prior to getting your CCP, you have to carry you handgun in your car where it is visible from outside. Places like the dash or the passenger seat would work.

After you get your CCP.....

You can carry your handgun anywhere in the car that you want as long as you have a valid CCP in your immediate possesion.

Something to consider.... The laws concerning concealed carry in NC are the weapon has to on or ABOUT one's person. The about part can potentially get your passengers without a CCP charged with concealing a weapon. Example, you put your handgun in the console box and close it. That weapon can be considered ABOUT your person and the also ABOUT the person sitting in the passenger seat. The fact that the car and the gun both belong to you has no bearing. This will be left up to the discretion of the officer as to whether the passenger will charged.

I contacted the Attorney General in NC about this and the answer is the discretion of the officer has a lot to do with whether the passengers will be charged.

Therefore, when riding with a passenger without a CCP, I carry on my person, in the map holder on the door, or in holster I attached to the front of the drivers seat (between my legs with the muzzle pointed to the floor).

Quote Originally Posted by hardlivin View Post
    Prior to getting your CCP, you have to carry you handgun in your car where it is visible from outside. Places like the dash or the passenger seat would work.

After you get your CCP.....

You can carry your handgun anywhere in the car that you want as long as you have a valid CCP in your immediate possesion.

Something to consider.... The laws concerning concealed carry in NC are the weapon has to on or ABOUT one's person. The about part can potentially get your passengers without a CCP charged with concealing a weapon. Example, you put your handgun in the console box and close it. That weapon can be considered ABOUT your person and the also ABOUT the person sitting in the passenger seat. The fact that the car and the gun both belong to you has no bearing. This will be left up to the discretion of the officer as to whether the passenger will charged.

I contacted the Attorney General in NC about this and the answer is the discretion of the officer has a lot to do with whether the passengers will be charged.

Therefore, when riding with a passenger without a CCP, I carry on my person, in the map holder on the door, or in holster I attached to the front of the drivers seat (between my legs with the muzzle pointed to the floor).

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Do you know if NC actually has an "open carry" law or not? The North Carolina Firearms Law isn't very clear.

Thanks again for your response.

meatloaf

On the dash or in the seat next to you in PLAIN SIGHT.....and definetely inform the LEO if you get stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf View Post
    Do you know if NC actually has an "open carry" law or not? The North Carolina Firearms Law isn't very clear.

Thanks again for your response.

meatloaf
    I live just across the state line and have family in NC; they say there is an open carry. You can open carry unless someone complains then then you will be considered as carrying unlawfully.

So my advice, don't chance it. If you want to carry into a business, wait till you get your CCP.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delucas View Post
    I live just across the state line and have family in NC; they say there is an open carry. You can open carry unless someone complains then then you will be considered as carrying unlawfully.

So my advice, don't chance it. If you want to carry into a business, wait till you get your CCP.
    That's right, going armed to the terror of the public is the law in question here.
    Plain sight in the vehicle as posted. Open carry in a holster in the field or fishing or hunting is ok.
    So it isn't easy with all the places you can't have a gun with a CCW
    and now you do not yet so you can't leave it in plain sight when you exit the vehicle so you would be hiding it and getting it out all the time. I think a safe with a key and the gun unloaded and a mag somewhere is about the best answer.

Technically, NC offers open carry, but I wouldn't do it.

You're in Salisbury, scoot up to Gander Mountain in Mooresville on 150. They carry a book that a lawyer in Kentucky compiles for all 50 states. This book, more like a pamplet, has a 1 page blurb for each state and explains the laws for each state at a high level. He puts out a new book each year as the laws and recipricocity change.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

In N. Carolina the firearm must be clearly visable without a license.

I make it a point to open carry here in NC from time to time just to prove I can still do it!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

Meatloaf, Call the Rowan county wildlife club, and ask to talk to Claude he is the guy who teaches the classes out there and he can clear all this up for you real easy as he sometimes likes to open carry himself! Here is a number for the club 704) 636-8662 This is my home range and I shoot there a couple times a week!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    I make it a point to open carry here in NC from time to time just to prove I can still do it!
    I like the way you put it.
    meatloaf

Links