First Post, Question about travel and announcing

This is a discussion on First Post, Question about travel and announcing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, This is my first post. I have been reading for several weeks and thought that I would introduce myself and pose a question. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello All,

This is my first post. I have been reading for several weeks and thought that I would introduce myself and pose a question.

I just applied for a TX CC permit. In anticipation of receiving my permit, I have been rehearsing various scenarios in my mind. I often travel back to the East coast and drive through states with whom TX has reciprocal agreements. In Texas I have to show my permit if I am stopped by a LEO, but I am unfamiliar with the requirements of other states. My question is, should I just make it a personal policy to announce that I have a permit regardless of the state in which I am traveling (assuming there is an agreement with that state and I am carrying at the time)? It is usually the case that people carrying in another state must follow the laws of the state in which they are traveling, and from what I have seen, most states require that you announce or show your permit if stopped by a LEO or when asked to show identification. Is there a generally accepted policy that you guys could recommend?

Thanks

For me, I will give both ID's anytime a LEO asks for one of them. If I'm pulled over I have both ID's in hand with the window rolled down, dome light on, and my hands on the steering wheel and I'll await the Officers instructions after that.

I feel that's good policy pretty much wherever you are.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

When travelling, I recommend you check out and print a copy of the laws of the states you will be travelling through. Follow the law. In states where it is not required, use your best judgment.

You will get the gambit of responses when you disclose, from "ok thanks, don't touch it" to felony stop procedures (the extreme case).

If you choose to disclose, I recommend something to the effect of "Officer, I have a concealed carry permit, and I am armed. How would you like to procede?" Emphasize clearly you have a permit...oh, and make sure you are legal in the state you are carrying!

I recommend these resources, in addition to the individual state's webpages

Handgunlaw.us
    Welcome to CarryConcealed.net
    NRA-ILA :: Gun Laws

When I travel, I keep a small binder with the appropriate laws handy for personal review.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    When I travel, I keep a small binder with the appropriate laws handy for personal review.
    Very good idea. Especially if you are traveling through several states.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Welcome from SOCAL
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    Hello All,

This is my first post. I have been reading for several weeks and thought that I would introduce myself and pose a question.

I just applied for a TX CC permit. In anticipation of receiving my permit, I have been rehearsing various scenarios in my mind. I often travel back to the East coast and drive through states with whom TX has reciprocal agreements. In Texas I have to show my permit if I am stopped by a LEO, but I am unfamiliar with the requirements of other states. My question is, should I just make it a personal policy to announce that I have a permit regardless of the state in which I am traveling (assuming there is an agreement with that state and I am carrying at the time)? It is usually the case that people carrying in another state must follow the laws of the state in which they are traveling, and from what I have seen, most states require that you announce or show your permit if stopped by a LEO or when asked to show identification. Is there a generally accepted policy that you guys could recommend?

Thanks
    Welcome to the site!

I am sure that others have posted this, but check out this link:

Handgunlaw.us

You will find what you are looking for. Use this as a reference point only. Either you can call the issuing authority in each state or you can check online to make sure.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    Hello All,

Thanks
    Not usually...always must follow the laws of the state you are in...

If in doubt...always show...can't hurt. Plan ahead...know the laws of the state in which you are traveling...computers can find anything.

Stay armed...stay legal...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Before traveling out of your home state, visit the handgunlaws website and the NRA website and familiarize yourself with the laws in each state you will go through.

You may even want to visit the DPS pages of states you will go through or look up the actual statutes in those states.

Download and copy-study, print, and bring with you in a folder for reference.

There is no substitute for knowing the law in each state you will go through.

It is too too easy to slip up, given that the laws vary wildly from one place to another. What may be just find in OK or Texas, might be absolutely a no no in Carolina, and the other way around.

An oddity I once noticed was a prohibition in New Mexico against having more than one concealed weapon. Go know.

Do your homework.

I'm from Tx also,welcome.I personally prefer to hand my CHL over with license I believe that lets the officer know I'm not trying to hide anything whether state law has a duty to show or not but everybody has their own opinions and this one is mine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

welcome aboard

welcome from s.e. mich.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Greetings ya Texican, I AINT from tejas I unfortunatly thought live here, LOL. (Oh Boomer Sooners by the way). Welcome to the board. On here you'll find alot of great information from many different perspectives.

FIrst you said you were going out east, ohhhh boy, please read each states laws very carefully, because out there ya can find urself in the pokie quickly over gun stuff. The advice given about checking with the NRA and each state you going to be traveling through's state police's website on gun laws in a must. Know them and have them with you.

Now on your question. As a career law enforcement officer, more than half on patrol, from an officers perspective the number one concern of the officer during a traffic stop is "officer safety" which means that the officer will go home. Where this comes into play with you and your CHL (which I have two not counting my agency credentials) is that when an officer stops you, you have a gun, if he/she observe the weapon and you have not told them your legal, the officer for their own safety will immediatly consider that you are illegal and (for the naysayers) every person who has murdered a police officer on a traffic stop was illegally carrying a weapon. You see the picture?

This is also a problem when federal agents are stopped for traffic violations. Most dont have a clue whats its like to be a patrol cop as they've never been one (I'd say its less than 15% of us who were prior street cops) and are afraid that if they show their badge they'll get in trouble for a federal crime of using position to escape offenses. It has resulted in fed's being spotted and taken out of cars at gun points.

There are two types of car stops, a traffic stop, which includes all stops including those with known CHL holders and then there are felony traffic stops, which includes anyone who is armed for unknown reasons and thus pose a threat to the officers safety.

For me, I have this adversion to the business end of a weapon and really do not like them pointed at me, so I do my best to insure that it dont happen, and I know that my concealment meathod keeps it from being seen and on occasions have been accused by the contacting officer of lying about being armed because they cant see it. Works for me.

Good luck and enjoy your trips.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    For me, I will give both ID's anytime a LEO asks for one of them. If I'm pulled over I have both ID's in hand with the window rolled down, dome light on, and my hands on the steering wheel and I'll await the Officers instructions after that.

I feel that's good policy pretty much wherever you are.
    +1

That covers it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Thanks for all the responses. I will check out the various links suggested. I also like the idea of the printed notebook with all relevant gun laws. My initial inclination was to announce if I am traveling in a state with a reciprocal agreement, but not carry and not announce in a state without one.

As far as my heading "East" is concerned, while I am driving east, I will still be in the "South": Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina mostly.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

The propper way is to have both hands on the steering wheel and tell the officer that forst you have a CCW THEN let them know you are carrying. Use common sense and try to put yourself in their shoes. Some people tell the officer that they are carrying first, Imagine if you were an officer and the first thing you heard when you approached a vehicle is "I have a gun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links