Positive LEO encounter

This is a discussion on Positive LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Minutes ago I met an officer of the College Station Police dept and wanted to say I had a positive encounter. I headed over to ...

Thread: Positive LEO encounter

me [OP]

Positive LEO encounter

Minutes ago I met an officer of the College Station Police dept and wanted to say I had a positive encounter.

I headed over to the church where I am the youth pastor so that I could pick up my phone charger since it was going dead and i had forgotten my charger. Well I got there and the alarm was going off so I (not thinking I was wearing all dark blue) did a walk around of the building to make sure it was secure before going in (flame if you want I have been around enough to know how shotty alarm systems can be).

Well even though the alarm was going off for a prolonged period of time and the police never got a call from the alarm company, they got a call about me with my flashlight.

As I left the building I heard someone from the corner of the building say "Excuse ME". I jumped a little and as I turned I could see the badge reflection, So I turned and headed to speak with the officer asking "Did you get a call about the alarm?" keeping my hands visible.

On my way over notified him "Sir so you know I am Legally Armed. My firearm is on my Right side my wallet is in my left pocket would you like me to get my ID." The officer asked that I get it and I pulled out first my business card then showed him my DL, not even thinking about my CHL. While I was doing this he asked what I carried and looked at it by pulling up my shirt side with his flashlight.

After I had almost put my wallet away and had told him that I had done a walk around checking the alarm he asked to see my CHL which I gave him and told him it is a PA CHL and that my SO told me it would still be valid even with the change in address. He asked if I had checked with local SO and I told him I had not but that the states are reciprocating and that I should have a copy of the agreement in the car.

He said not a problem he did not need to see the agreement and we parted ways after he gave me a card so I can contact the PD tomorrow with Key holder information.

I felt he handled himself very professionally and I had a positive experience with him.

Though not so much with the alarm monitoring company who told me they were not sure they knew the alarm was going off.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Not a bad encounter.
    Maybe a little too relaxed by the LEO considering the situation.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Not bad all all. Who knows your good encounter may be passed along to the next CCW'er on traffic stop.

The cub scout pack my son and I belong to has several LEO's and thier sons involved in scouting as well. They strongly support and encourage legal concealed carry

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think the cops are doing them a favor by acting polite and professional. That's the way they SHOULD act as long as you do as well.

me [OP]
    Echo

I completely agree that those in emergency services (being one who has 7.5 yrs on an Engine and Medic unit) should act as professionals. However it is not always the case (more among small EMS/Fire services {I have worked for these services} then in the PD) that people get excited over the little stuff and don't act as professionals so having worked with unprofessional emergency services providers the Professional ones (which I am) stand out to me.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good stuff
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think the cops are doing them a favor by acting polite and professional. That's the way they SHOULD act as long as you do as well.
    Not so much thinking a favor has been done. It's a sense of satisfaction in knowing that with so many things that go wrong, this time things worked out the way they should.

Is it just me, or did this LEO seem more concerned (after you identified yourself) with your firearm...than the alarm and the potential BG?

Around here, I have found the LEO's after being informed about a weapon to relax and go on with business...none have asked for a permit...all have only commented thanks for telling me...no big deal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    It's not that we think cops are doing us a favor, its just that we see so many people quick to trash anything the cop does that we feel its good to give them kudos when we can.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I've heard a similar story from a LEO here in South Florida. An alarm went off at a Lions Club building (Masons maybe...) and when he got there, spotted a guy in the bushes looking at a window. Drew his weapon and confronted the guy, and it was one of the members of the club picking up his car and heard the alarm. The member was carrying and told the LEO, and the LEO asked him if he had the keys for the front door. LEO opened the door and went inside and asked the man to cover the window.

This officer used to fill my time at work with stories. He would come into the game store I managed at to buy games all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Though not so much with the alarm monitoring company who told me they were not sure they knew the alarm was going off.
    Sounds like you need a new alarm company.. I work for one.. Sounds like you might want to arrange a service call..

John
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Sounds like you need a new alarm company.. I work for one.. Sounds like you might want to arrange a service call..

John
    I spoke with the alarm company and had a tech come and check the system on Wednesday. Apparently nobody had ever told us if the phone line goes out for any few seconds the alarm will go off and the center will not be notified. Our Church is off of the beaten trail and the phone lines occasionally have a glitch and that was what it was.
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

Yea that is one of the draw back to the old phone line system.. Which is still the standard.. Our company sells allot of back up radios and cellular units.. Not a bad idea if losing phones happens quite a bit.
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Links