50 State CCP

50 State CCP

This is a discussion on 50 State CCP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Driving from State to State on a local drivers license is something a lot of citizens take for granted nowadays. I know I'll probably get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 State CCP

Question 50 State CCP

Driving from State to State on a local drivers license is something a lot of citizens take for granted nowadays. I know I'll probably get ripped for this, but do you think there will ever be a universal 48 or possibly 50 State CCP?
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Not so long as there are anti gun rights liberals in political office. Although I do hope for a system where your license would be valid in every state like your drivers license is.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

I do, we have the ball rolling in the proper direction we need to keep the pressure on so it doesn’t lose momentum. I long for the day we carry in DC and on domestic flights. The facts back us we just need to push like the libs did to get what they wanted and all they had was lies myths, and scare tactics.

Stop supporting people that don’t support us! And let them know about it.

We need to get noticed in a good light as much as we can, doing rallies and educating everywhere we go. I have friends that won’t bother to explain the benefits of being armed to someone that seems against it. I tend to stay on them till there lights come on. No it doesn’t always work. But it will never work if they aren’t exposed to the truth. Over the years I have had dozens of successes on previously anti gun thinking people. Several have been to the range one I took hunting, something she was vitally apposed to. She was a short distance from me when she shot at a deer, when I got to her she was crying. It was because she missed it. SPREAD THE WORD.

If this happens, there would be many compromises that many pro-gun would not accept because.

A) It would reduce the freedoms they have ATM in the state they are in.

For example a CA gun-owner would find the compromises to provide far more freedom. However the same compromises would restrict an AR gun-owner.

B) Many pro-gun would view the compromises to be a trick leading to a ban.

C) Forget the permit issues and assume everything will work out good for gun-owners cost wise. Compromises would be made concerning mag capacity and more then likely appropriate SD caliber legislation. In the end, NRA would never support a national CCW.

The one thing I have taken from this web site so far is that gun-regulations (even the "reasonable" ones) are different from state to state, town to town, etc. for good reason. One size does not fit all.

I think the only forward progress that could be made on a 49 state CCW (Hawaii would never go for it) is continued recognation of other state CCW and some sort of minimum universal travel standard when not in your home State. Like, and I'm not saying it is a good idea, no matter what state you are from it would be ok to carry a firearm with a 10 round mag and a caliber no greater than .50 if issued a CCW by home state. Then there would be some sort of standard (like in hunting) of how the state provides permits (required classes, range time, etc).

So maybe some sort of guaranteed minimum universal carry standard and recognition of other states CCW / CCL.

But even this would have a lot of problems to address, because anytime you set a standard, the courts start talking about what is the "national reasonable standard." Thus going back to point A & B I made above.

My $.02

No Thank You. I feel no need to involve any politician from DC, CA, IL, etc etc in making decisions on my cfp. As soon as the Federal Government gets evolved there will be; more restrictions, higher permit prices, and longer wait times to name a few items. There are a lot of 'things' that need to be changed before a national cfp should be fought for.

I guess it's easy for me to say, from a Utah prospective.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    As long as we have uberliberals in public office,I have serious doubts about it.

I believe we are getting there.20 years ago you were probably lucky to have a CWP. Now, several of the permits out there, including out-of-state permits like FL and UT, can get you through about 70-75% of the states. The others that don't, many of which do offer single non-resident permits for their state. That leaves only a few(CA,NY,NJ,MD,HI,WI,IL and DC) as states that don't have or make it nearly impossible for mere mortals to get permits. But CA and NY have conservative counties that do allow for regulars to get permits also. I also think WI is going to get it soon, and some IL counties are pushing for it(they have an uphill battle there).
    So really, you have just a few states that are holding up the show. Now, with Heller in the books as a win for us, we should be able to move forward and get more states toward a "universal" permit.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Doubt this would ever happen, and IF it did, it would not be in a form most of us would find acceptable.

Ya, you would end up with a compromise that would provide increased liberties for some but overall a hodgepodge of the lowest common denominator.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 27th, 2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Removed quote of deleted post.

As far as the OP, I find myself in strange territory. I actually agree with Thanis. I don't want California legislatures having anything to do with how I carry in Texas. For now, I just don't go to those places where they don't recognize my permit. All that means to me is California doesn't get my tourist dollars. If California is okay with that, than so am I.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 27th, 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Removed quote of a deleted post.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

As other states continually approve this issue; the "anti states"on their lofty perches with their holier than thou attitudes, will actually be shamed into accepting the reality of life. Hopefully by a popular mandate and NOT by any "political" decision.

I think the closest we'll ever get, and I believe it's still several years away at best, if not another decade, is national reciprocity. Something on the nature of LEOSA but conforming to each states ccw law.

IIRC, the NRA was hoping that passing the LEOSA act would help pave the way for national reciprocity sometime down the road. We've only had LEOSA about 4 or 5 years now.

I also think the SCOTUS decision in the Heller suit has also helped inch our way towards that goal.

Even Illinois is now having a couple of individual counties look into ccw on their own, regardless of state law.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Even Illinois is now having a couple of individual counties look into ccw on their own, regardless of state law.
    Popular mandate, and courage to push back against the system....... It's what founded this country!:

You would be suprised how many LEO's don't carry off duty or retired. At least 70% of them were scared when it came time to qualify (I know, I was one of the instructors) I never felt sorry for them because our range was open for them year round to pratice, nice range too, and on our range your position/rank didn't matter-you had to qualify...I would always rather shoot with someone who enjoys it, being an LEO didn't matter. Be safe & enjoy life

Quote Originally Posted by mmargotta View Post
    Popular mandate, and courage to push back against the system....... It's what founded this country!:
    Yep, and I am very supportive of Illinois doing that. It's obscene that so many firearm manufacturers are based in Illinois and yet there is no CCW and as a whole, a very oppressive state.

And yet they are starting to do more work on the issue than Wisconsin.

Morton Grove and the other town (the name escapes me), with outright handgun bans have dropped their bans since the Heller case. Even Mayor Daley in Chicago has squeaked that he would consider dropping their handgun ban if they can come up with a satisfactory ordinance that wouldn't put 1st responders at risk. Don't know how they are gonna do that, but there's a glimmer of hope for Illinois on the horizon where there was none before.

They deserve all of our support!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links