Chillicothe OH

This is a discussion on Chillicothe OH within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody know if CC is OK at the Easyriders Rodeo in Chillicothe OH. I plan to go Saturday morning and leave out Saturday evening. I ...

Thread: Chillicothe OH

Chillicothe OH

Anybody know if CC is OK at the Easyriders Rodeo in Chillicothe OH. I plan to go Saturday morning and leave out Saturday evening. I do know they serve beer at some stands, but not sure how that works in OH since it's a wide open field.

2. Remove Ads

The law in Ohio includes, as a no-carry zone, "open air arenas where alcohol is served"..so I'd say don't bother, it's not legal...& being a biker event, one i would like to attend just have not had the opportunity, there is a good chance they have the area posted anyway due to the numbers of biker gangs that attend.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Beer is NOT alcohol in Ohio. The "open area arena" part of the law is refering to sports stadiums, not events like this. Typically if an alcohol permit is issued, it is for a restricted area, not the entire festival.

IANAL but you are probably okay from the beer standpoint (carry into a licensed liquor establishment is a felony). If the grounds are posted (private property), then it's a misdemeanor trespassing charge. I have no idea if the grounds are posted. If it is on government owned property (e.g. park, fairgrounds), then it cannot be posted.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    Beer is NOT alcohol in Ohio. The "open area arena" part of the law is refering to sports stadiums, not events like this. Typically if an alcohol permit is issued, it is for a restricted area, not the entire festival.

IANAL but you are probably okay from the beer standpoint (carry into a licensed liquor establishment is a felony). If the grounds are posted (private property), then it's a misdemeanor trespassing charge. I have no idea if the grounds are posted. If it is on government owned property (e.g. park, fairgrounds), then it cannot be posted.

Ken
    I'd likely not risk a felony on advice that "... you are probably okay...." Unless, of course, your pockets are deep and you've always wanted to be a test case.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I would rather not risk a felony charge and loose the right to carry altogether. Guess I'll just pack some OC spray or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I'd likely not risk a felony on advice that "... you are probably okay...." Unless, of course, your pockets are deep and you've always wanted to be a test case.
    Well here is the Ohio law:
    4301.01(A) As used in the Revised Code:

(1) "Intoxicating liquor" and "liquor" include all liquids and compounds, other than beer, containing one-half of one per cent or more of alcohol by volume which are fit to use for beverage purposes, from whatever source and by whatever process produced, by whatever name called, and whether they are medicated, proprietary, or patented. "Intoxicating liquor" and "liquor" include wine even if it contains less than four per cent of alcohol by volume, mixed beverages even if they contain less than four per cent of alcohol by volume, cider, alcohol, and all solids and confections which contain any alcohol.
    Note also that the law only prohibits carry in establishments with a D2 license. Typically festivals, temporary events, etc. have a type F license.

Of course, just because you have the law on your side does not mean that the locals will understand it. Effectively keeping the firearm concealed will help avoid any questions.

Unfortunately, everything firearm related in this state comes down to "probably". People have been arrested for perfectly legal activities. Not all police are properly trained.

Ken

Strange that they would not include beer. What's the difference?

I'm an Ohio resident that learned something new today.
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

All though I can't help you out on your question I very heavily doubt you will be only one carrying up there, I have a friend from work attending it as well.

HUH...I too learned something new. Beer is not an intoxicating beverage....WOW...tell my ex-wife that! lol
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

If you ask this on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forums, you might find others are planning on attending or they might give you more guidance about the law.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • Index page

Always been a no gun policy at the rodeo. If your new to being around "motorcycle Clubs" remember, it's all about respect. Rodeo is probably the last place you need a gun as long as act accorgingly.

Links