Non Carrying Spouse

Non Carrying Spouse

This is a discussion on Non Carrying Spouse within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my CCW and I carry whenever I can. My wife is OK with it, but I have never been able to interest her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Carrying Spouse

Non Carrying Spouse

I have my CCW and I carry whenever I can. My wife is OK with it, but I have never been able to interest her in getting a CCW, carrying or even going to the range with me.

So, if you are in a similar situation as me.... What do you do when the wife goes to walk the dog, goes shopping, etc ? Do you offer to go with her whereever she goes in case she has an encounter with a BG or do you feel like she knows the risks, she can handle the consequences and hope she never has a bad encounter?

Get her some pepper spray, and a cell phone, and go with her if you want. If you don't go with her she still has the other two.

She knows what goes on in the world, but if she feels like it won't happen to her, well there isn't much else you can do. Until things start to hit close to home you might never change her mind.

My wife is starting to come around to the idea, I just have to work with her to change her mindset about some things before we take the final step with her, since I don't want her gun to be the cause of her injuries should something happen.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    What do you do when the wife goes to walk the dog
    Treadmill

goes shopping
    eBay

I think Farronwolf nailed it with the phone and OC spray. When she leaves, have her call you so your number is the last one called (and top of the call log).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My wife is a little more accepting than yours as she is all for going to the range and learning to shoot. But, so far she is not interested in CC. I have worked with her for years to be aware when she is out, have her cell phone, don't take anything she does not need etc. So when she goes out to walk the dogs she takes her phone, ID, Health insurance card but not much else. She removes all her jewelry to keep interest down on that front. I'm not pushing her to consider CC but as she gets more used to firearms (she did not grow up around any) she is showing more interest in possibly getting her own handgun. Right now it would be for shooting at ranges for fun and for home protection but as many of us know once you start down that road its hard to stop.

In the mean time I will encourage her and work with her and support her and hope that she comes to be interested in CC on her own in her own time.

Cy

My wife wont carry either. Drives me nuts!! She does have pepper spray but she probably couldnt deploy it if she needed to. I try to go with her when I can. Especially when she has the kids!!! She always wants to go to walmart with the kids without me, no way!! I go even when its totally inconvenient for me. If she would just shoot and practice, get her CCW and be confident and aware enough to use it if needed, I would be able to relax a little. Just a little. It aint easy being the always vigilant one, but someone has to be.

You live in a beautiful community! Go with her on walks.

Liberty, like Overland Park, is is not immune to perps.

My wife (non CCW) doesn't worry at all when we take our granddaughter on walks with us. She is at peace, while I remain alert. Plus, the exercise after a long day at the office is very good for me.

I guess I was just lucky I suppose.

Well before I married my wife, we were on the same page regarding guns & bad guys... We took our ccw together and we both carry daily, everywhere, all the time.

But she was a paramedic too and worked the streets in a major metropolitan city before she was injured on the job and pensioned out. So she knew all too well the "Face of the Enemy" before we even met.

I suppose it's just hard for some people to imagine what it's like if they've never seen a bad guy up close and personal.

Even when they watch the news about Kelsey Smith abducted from the parking lot of the Overland Park Target store in broad daylight who was raped, tortured, murdered and left in a field like a piece of trash.

Like most, Kelsey didn't have a care in the world and didn't think it could happen to her. And her dad was a police officer.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I have my CCW and I carry whenever I can. My wife is OK with it, but I have never been able to interest her in getting a CCW, carrying or even going to the range with me.

So, if you are in a similar situation as me.... What do you do when the wife goes to walk the dog, goes shopping, etc ? Do you offer to go with her whereever she goes in case she has an encounter with a BG or do you feel like she knows the risks, she can handle the consequences and hope she never has a bad encounter?
    I'm in the same exact situtation as you.

I PRAY! Not kidding about that either.

My wife has not made a priority of getting her concealed carry license either. I figure that she's an adult and she knows the score. If she chooses to take her chances, then all I can do is hope for the best.

The fact that she does not carry effects what I do carry. My carry guns are DAO, no safeties, 9mm and .38. I figure that if the circumstances called for it, she could easily use whatever I am carrying. (no instructions necessary.)

Go with her if you like, but you can't be there all the time. OC (I like Fox Labs), a cell phone, and a walking stick might be helpful.

Don't give up. After 11 years of marriage, my wife finally came to her senses earlier this year......of course it probably didn't hurt that I gave her a certificate for the class in her Christmas stocking.

You never know......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I convinced my wife to get a CWP so that if I ever need to give her my gun, she can legally put it in her purse. Now she has also become interested in carrying.

In FL, all gun owners can benefit from having a CWP even if they don't carry.

No, my wife does not carry, and has no interest. She does carry a small pepper spray. She does not go out alone at night, and I have no concern.

Life goes on without CCW for 99.999% of folks that do not stay out or go out at night, or go to risky places. I have repeatedly stated that I have never personally known anyone who was attacked.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My wife wont carry either. She is however, a gun hunter for deer and shoots a bow for archery hunting. She just wont carry a gun and personally, I think she would have a hard time ever pulling the trigger on a person.

I have her carrying her cell phone and bear spray. She carries the most potent bear spray available. I'm confident that if this will deter a bear, it will work with a human as well. She has one in her purse, one in the car and one she can carry in a pocket while walking.

My wife is afraid of somebody taking away her gun ... if they take away her bear spray, atleast she wont die from being sprayed.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Hey Rcher, nice avatar. My son is a Seabee serving in Iraq right now. We hope he will come home in October.

My wife doesn't carry, but that has more to do with arthritis, than desire. We used to go to the range together 3 or 4 times a month. When it became harder for her to hold her snubbie she stopped going with me. Now I can only talk her into coming with me 2 or 3 times a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links