Are you less aggressive now that you carry? - Page 2

Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

This is a discussion on Are you less aggressive now that you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started driving conservatively as well, never exceeding the speed limit by 3-4 MPH....

View Poll Results: Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

133 44.19%
  • No, still aggressive

2 0.66%
  • No, I never look for a fight

122 40.53%
  • Maybe

18 5.98%
  • Not a carry issue to consider

26 8.64%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

I started driving conservatively as well, never exceeding the speed limit by 3-4 MPH.

Yes AND no. I avoided most aggressive confrotations prior to carrying.
    I still aviod them. Having said that, I'll make eye contact, voice an acknowledgment, etc. whenever I deem necessary to a particular situation without being disrespectful or escalating the situation. Since carrying, I've become much more aware of my responsabilities and my own actions.

Common sense and thinking ahead has kept me outta trouble so far..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'm way less confrontational now that I carry. I have a responsibility to avoid or defuse situations. I'm comforted by the fact that, if needed, I can end a confrontation if it gets out of hand.

im less aggressive than i was bofore i started carrying.

I answered yes, no to say that I was very aggressive before but I am certainly a little more polite (smile more to strangers in passing) and I drive a little better (don't want the hassle of having to show my CHL and hope I get a decent LEO).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I answered "Yes", but I never considered myself aggressive. I would never initiate trouble. But if someone (prior to me CCW'ing) was rude or offensive, I was never shy about replying in same manner.

However, CCW makes me stop and pause before responding in any way that could even remotely be considered rude or offensive. I am now extremely careful to NOT escalate anything. I turn the other cheek, I apologize and I try to retreat - simple as that.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Never was aggressive. Aggression is for the criminals, insofar as it starts problems.

Am more tolerant, yet more resolute. Goes with the territory.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't think that my actions have changed, although they might have. If someone is doing something stupid, I will still call them on it, or if someone gets mouthy, I will still respond, but have probably changed the words that are being responded with.

The weapon is there only if circumstances are there that warrant its use, luckily that has never happened yet, and hopefully it won't. Other than that, it just comes along for the ride every day. I don't think that it should change your actions personally, unless you were an ahole to begin with.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

poll

i try to avoid trouble as best as i can. =
    even driving down the road.
    if some jerk is tailgating or whatever
    i try to let them pass or if i have to,
    turn down a diffrent road just to let
    them go by.
    not saying i'm a coward,just trying
    to play it safe.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

i put that I am less aggressive. I say this because prior to my 21st b-day I was at the mall with my sister and (ex-now) gf. Long story short some 375lb thugged out black guy and his friend made some innappropriate comments towards my little sister and then proceeded to continue after her/us. When my sister told me what was going on and I asked them if there was a problem--they repeated the inappropriate comments to me. I was furious.

I told him to shut his [edited] mouth or I would shut it for him. He puffed up and his friend sorta stepped towwards us. We never stopped walking and I told my gf to take my sister to get help (up the escalator away from me and the 2 thugs).

I thought to myself...I am way outmatched and I have nothing to defend myself with. These guys could easily have weapons. My best bet was to be as loud, mean, and aggressive as I could to hopefully scare them off. So thats what I did.

I went OFFFFFFFF on them. Yelling things that would make a sailor blush. I basically challenged them to try something. They were instantly taken aback and I took that chance to walk away from them (still facing them). They started yelling at me and started walking toward me oncei got on the escalator--the whole time i faced them. I decided that if they got on to the escalator we were gonna rumble. I had the high ground and a perfect chance to kick the lead guy in the face. Then dump some blazing hot coffee i just bought on his face.

When I yelled that if they came on the escalator I would destroy them..they stopped.

I would never have done that had I had my ccw or was carrying. It was the only thing i could do, in my mind, to resolve the situation. It was still wreckless and dangerous.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 28th, 2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Maybe its a combination of getting older and carrying a firearm but yes, I have become less aggressive.

Nuff said.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I was never perticularly aggressive. Less likely to drink and drive, though.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Distinguished Member
    Excellent thread! The firearm makes me much more responsible for my actions knowing the possible results of getting stupid over something.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Ron
    I don't know if less aggressive is quite correct for me, but since I have been carrying I go out of my way to avoid any situation that could result in a confrontation.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Some of the folks here seem to think aggression is a bad thing. Aggression one of our traits that makes us want to excell at what we do.
    I believe its part of our nature to want to prove ourselves. The human race would have died out years ago without it. Our aggression has put us at the top of the food chain.

We want to be the best at what we do. We play games to see who is the best. We try to make our skyscraper taller than the other guys.
    We watched the olympics to see who was the better of all the others.

Ok except for the ladies beach volleyball...I watched them because im a perv

What we should strive for is to know when to keep it in check not to stifle it completely.

Michael

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links