Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

This is a discussion on Are you less aggressive now that you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's more that I am less likely to be in a situation where aggression is an issue. Heightened awareness means I'm gone before it gets ...

View Poll Results: Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

133 44.19%
  • No, still aggressive

2 0.66%
  • No, I never look for a fight

122 40.53%
  • Maybe

18 5.98%
  • Not a carry issue to consider

26 8.64%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

It's more that I am less likely to be in a situation where aggression is an issue. Heightened awareness means I'm gone before it gets weird.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I got my carry permit when I was 22 years old. So I have been carrying now for 18 years. But yes, when I started I got a lot less aggressive. Carrying a gun woke me up and snapped me out of my "Billy Bad A$$" phase that most young males go through.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

me
    My uncle and father warned me when I got my first gun, the same day I applied for my permit, that when carrying a firearm one can not let butter melt in their mouth.

I have never went looking for trouble but when a battle was started, verbal or otherwise, I was right there jumping in. Now that I carry I have found myself willing to let stuff roll off of my back and willing to be wronged because I have no desire for confrontations.

I am now more calm then I have been and although I can be very intense instantly it has been a while since I have found myself needing to be.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member
    I have never gone looking for a fight, but before I started CC it didn't take much for be to participate in it. Not long ago I was in a junkyard and someone stole my tools and I found him. I had my 357 on my side and we did get in a verbal confrontation, but because I had a pistol on and don't want to lose my right to CC , I didn't go up side his burr head. He said you know you are in a junkyard, if he only new what he was about to get into, but at that time I wished that I didn't have it, I wanted to jerk him up by the neck.
    Last edited by redrick; August 30th, 2008 at 10:37 AM.

Makes no difference.
    I don't go anywhere/do anything I can't carry, and I don't go anywhere/do anything "packin'" I wouldn't go/do anyways.
    I never learned to "back down" from confrontations (a painful fact, not a "braggin' point"), so I've always just naturally tried to avoid situations out of self-preservation. I've been in some form of martial-arts practice/training and/or power-lifting since I was 12 (I'm 53 now), so I never learned to be a willing victim.
    When I "strapped on my piece" for the first time, it felt natural - like I'd been "packin'" all my life - and haven't taken it off since. Odd, perhaps, but it's just never been an issue or consideration.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I never "Look for a Fight", and really never have, so I answered "Yes" in the Poll because I am less aggressive in an emotional sense since I began carrying - a state of mind so to speak.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've never had temper issues or been overly aggressive, and that didn't change when I started carrying a gun. If I can de-escalate or get away from a bad situation, I will.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

When I took my class, I had a very experienced LOE instructor. He wa a TBI agent. He said several things that have stuck in my mind for several years.

1 I do not care if you have a 1000 dollar HK sitting on your dresser, if you do not find a pistol you are willing to carry EVERWHERE, EVERYDAY, you are fooling yourself, and wasting my time taking this class.

2 Even if you have a 100% justifiable shooting, you can expect to spend at least 20 grand on lawyers, and lost time for work before it is over.

So I do not try to carry a Desert Eagle, and I always think before pulling my weapon.

Those 2 things have ruled my carry life for the last 10 years.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

Given enough reason, I was once willing to let my temper get the better of me. I find that now that I carry, I'm a lot less aggressive. I don't want things to get out of hand. I find myself finding ways to defuse rather that confront.

Anyone else?
    I agree. Controlling emotions is very important when carrying a concealed firearm. Avoidance is the first option always. I know that you may not think that this is aggressive, but I do. It's being aggressive in the way you are perceiving a potentially threatening situation. Really, it shifting the aggressiveness to thinking instead of reacting like a hot head. It's something that I had to learn to do. You're still aggressive because you're thinking all the time.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

kpw
    I think I'm pretty much the same as I always was. I've never looked for trouble and avoid it when I can but there are times when someone needs to be aggresive, assertive and sometimes, confrontational. I don't shy away from it when need be. I've been carrying for 90% of my adult life so if it has affected the way I interact with people, it's happened so long ago that I really couldn't say.

Never did go out looking for trouble, but never backed down either. Now that I am 60 and carry will go out of my way to avoid it if I can.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I voted that I have become less aggressive, not that I was overly aggressive before I carried. Where it really shows is in my driving. I used to be the guy speeding in the left lane, 15-20 over the limit, and agitated if some left lane bandit wouldn't move to the right to let me by. I was always courteous to other drivers and shared the road, but I was easily agitated if other drivers were not courteous to me. If someone cut me off, I'd stay right on his bumper to let him know I was ticked. I wasn't always blowing my horn and flipping people off; I was just easily agitated and always in a hurry.

Now, I take my time and drive in the right lane, 4-5 mph over the limit. I just let everyone go by and keep my adrenaline level down. I know now not to provoke other people.

VIP Member
    Less aggressive because I got old

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I am far more aggressive now that I carry a gun. I have the upper hand! I have been trained to kill. Let anyone get in my way and they may just find the wrath of my temper.

I am the king of the road. Anyone who cuts me off gets the full treatment. I flip them off; I shout obscenities; I hope they will challenge me because I am armed. Many times I will cut in front of someone and slow way down just to see their reaction. It is great fun.

I particularly enjoy hanging out at closing time at the local bar. After downing a case of local brew I am ready for those drunks looking for trouble. I can face them with the knowledge that I will win the fight! And if I call the police first I will be innocent!

I seek out confrontation and have been known to push old ladies out of the way at the grocery store. I am a busy man! What can they do? I carry a loaded gun.

I read so many claim their tempers are now in check and they are more polite now that they carry. I know the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Less aggressive because I got old

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links