Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

This is a discussion on Are you less aggressive now that you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saturday was traveling to the family farm, and a guy was an a-hole to my wife and I driving. Wife and I both carrying. There ...

View Poll Results: Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

133 44.19%
  • No, still aggressive

2 0.66%
  • No, I never look for a fight

122 40.53%
  • Maybe

18 5.98%
  • Not a carry issue to consider

26 8.64%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

Saturday was traveling to the family farm, and a guy was an a-hole to my wife and I driving. Wife and I both carrying.

There was a detour, and a guy thought we were trying to pass everyone to cut in at the last minute. He drove 1/2 way in 2 lanes to try and stop us from passing him and swirved at us as we passed. Then he broke out of the lane and started tailing us. We drove past the traffic, and he firgured out we were not trying to cut in. He continued to follow (after a breif attempt on his part to cut back in). He caught up to us and gave us the finger as he passed.

My temper was way, way, way, up. He was going over the speed limit, but we caught up to him at at several lights. All the while, yelling at us, fingering, etc. I got past saying something. Something was wrong with the guy. The fact both my wife and I were well armed hindered us from reacting. The loon was by now well off his intended destination.

I know I'm less agressive with the CCW, as I think I would have called LE, but did not want to get into a conversation with LE about someone so unbalanced, esp after the guy would find out we were armed. Who knows what clams he would make.

2. Remove Ads

I have never been one to look for trouble. While I don't look for trouble I refuse to allow myself, or my family to become a victim. I don't consider myself socially aggressive in the first place. I'm aggressive in business and when involved in competitive situations. Socially I tend to be pretty mellow. That's a good thing when one carries a concealed weapon I would think.
    Join the NRA.

Hard to say since I have carried off and on all of my adult life. As I have gotten older I have mellowed but my guess is that is a function of age
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I've always avoided confrontations and fights...Never really solved anything...

Pushed My Mother!!!

[QUOTE=SelfDefense;832450]I am far more aggressive now that I carry a gun. I have the upper hand! I have been trained to kill. Let anyone get in my way and they may just find the wrath of my temper.

I seek out confrontation and have been known to push old ladies out of the way at the grocery store. I am a busy man! What can they do? I carry a loaded gun."

Hey Self Defense I'm glad you posted your rant as now I know who pushed my mother!

Senior Moderator
    I shutter to say I'm more aggressive because I'm not, but I am more..... ready to defend.

In a past life I was putty. I was much more apt to let someone hurt me than ever raise a finger or even say a word in my own defense. I was your perfect victim.... a few too many times.

It started before I started carrying but I realized that was no way to live and more than likely it would see me to my death or at least to a mental state where I was nothing and no one but a perpetual victim with no hope of dignity, strength, self confidence and control.

I'm not aggressive, I HATE confrontation and I do all I can to avoid potential dangerous situations, but I WILL NOT sit back and let any ol' Tom, Dick, or Harry prey on me.

One of the most enlightening things I've learned in the last few years is that when something bad happens to me my first response is be afraid. And fear cripples me. I hide from it, try to run from it, ignore it. It's been my natural response since I can remember. Instead, I should have been getting angry. Anger cuts through the fear like a razor blade and makes me focused and strong. Anger allows me to feel the truth of what is happening, that I am being wronged and I have a right to respond.

I am probably one of the most placid, calm people you will ever meet and I was raised believing that ANY anger in ANY form was bad and shouldn't be allowed. But I had to learn there is a place for anger and when you are being genuinely wronged it is not only right to be angry, it is GOOD! You SHOULD be angry. It sure beats the heck out of being afraid all the time.

I can use that anger to act and maybe even to save myself or my family.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Most definitely much less aggressive...
    Very aware of CCW responsibilities...
    Too old to fight any more...
    +1
    Pretty much sums it up for me.

Plus I'll add : it's not the age....it's the mileage......
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Less aggressive, yes.

I realize what a whale of a responsibility this is. This is about as serious as it gets. Heck, I rarely even speed any more. I hope and pray I will never have to use a weapon to defend myself and I definitely am more aware of my surroundings and think to avoid areas where there could be conflict, especially if I'm carrying.

Interesting how split this poll was.

I have not obtained my CC permit in Mass yet, But I will tell you, I am less aggressive after I have fully investigated CC permit holders, and how many people out there carry there legal firearms.

Mostly in my driving habits.

I haven't been in a fight in quite a number of years.
    High school, in fact.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    At 6-0 200 lbs i dont have a lot of problems since i dont look for confrontations. With that being said I am NOT aggressive, I am however proactive about defense . If there is to be a confrontation rest assured i will cheat early and cheat hard . The only rule is that I will be the one to walk away .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Are you less aggressive now that you carry?

Given enough reason, I was once willing to let my temper get the better of me. I find that now that I carry, I'm a lot less aggressive. I don't want things to get out of hand. I find myself finding ways to defuse rather that confront.

Anyone else?
    Absoultely less aggressive! I will be 60 on my next birthday. I used to get right back in the face of anyone who wanted to get in my face. Not anymore. As a christian I will defend my life, my family, or you and yours, if I need to, but at the same time, I don't want to ever have to shoot another human. I would rather sit down with him/her and tell them all about salvation. Don't miss understand my position on this subject! If I have to draw my gun it won't be for show, or to scare someone. If it comes out I will fire, and I will continue to fire untill either me or the BG is down.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links